2 months Edmonton.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by pseudo, Jan 17, 2015.

1. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

I'm heading to Edmonton for my final year of school near the end of the summer and i would like to keep my self active in my martial arts training. I hit a bit of a dilemma, I'm not sure if i should seek out an Aikido dojo and continue with my current training or take this opportunity and try out an entirely new discipline.

Things to consider. While i really want to try a new discipline, it will only be for two months. Im not sure how much i will take a way from it in such a short amount of time. Secondly i wont be able to continue once i return home.:(

On aikido. After talking to members from my dojo it sounds like Aikido has many variations dojo to dojo. Not sure if that could be a positive or a negative.

Personally i really want to move away from the more traditional arts. While i like Aikido and i decided to dedicate a certain amount of time to it. I think it will probably be the last non competitive art i will pursue at least for now.

Thanks to Hannibal god bless his soul. I really would like to try CACC wrestling however i dont think its available so something similar would be great (maybe BJJ). This next part is to people who know edmonton or the dojo/ gym establishment in the edmonton area. I will be staying about 10 minutes from the Grandin Lrt station. The Lrt will be my mod of transportation while im their. Does anyone have any recommendations? I will probably try a HEMA place at some point.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  2. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I know some people in Edmonton since this is where I lived for 10+ years before coming to the UK.

What sort of stuff do you want to look at? There are a lot of clubs about.

LFD

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

4. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Filling in some holes. Im going to try a hema club but it sounds like they dont meet that often 1 or twice a week. Other then that im looking for a grappling art of sorts.

5. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Serves you right for not trying harder in school.

Canada - for when you're not rogue enough to be deported to the Falklands.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It's more like the Ameri-do-te of Uk & US....best of all, worst of none

8. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

And now your watch begins.

[​IMG]

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Winter is coming.....

10. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

And remember Pseudo...

That cold you'll be a-feelin'

that ain't the weather...

that's death approaching

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seriously, good luck to you in your studies :)

11. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Thank you... i think...

12. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Never saw "30 days of Night" ? Set in the arctic, lol.

EDIT: Didn't mean to spook you, Pseudo - sorry, lol! :eek:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  13. Late for dinner

So silly question, how long are you actually going to be in Edmonton? It sounds both like a year and a couple of months.

If you are attending the Uof A then there are a few options. There used to be a number of clubs on campus. In fact there is also the University wrestling club which I am sure would whip you into shape if you were to come out to practices. Go to the uni and see... I know there was wing chun, aikido, tai chi and number of other arts that had on campus classes.

LFD

14. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Just a couple months.

I'm not actually on UA main campuse. I'm in their Trades facilities which they keep far away from the main school. It almost feels like they don't want us associating with the academic students. Kinda like we are a bad influence or something :Angel:

15. Late for dinner

South Campus or Augustana? You know this about the south campus? : A prominent sight on this campus is the Saville Community Sports Centre, a 32,516-square-metre, multi-use recreation centre that is home to 14 varsity athletic teams, several community sports clubs, and the Canadian women’s national basketball team. - http://uofa.ualberta.ca/about/facts/campuses

Where are you staying these days mate? Calgary? :evil:

LFD

16. Late for dinner

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  17. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Cheers LFD.

I'm in Whitehorse Yukon which I'm assuming is why their are so many winter references on the thread. I think we are actually warmer then Alberta at the moment. Very unusual weather we are having.

And yes. I will be killing my self while I'm in Edmonton. I want to get as much training in systems I don't normally have access to. Choices are very limited in Whitehorse both in variety and quality.