2 good arts to crosstrain

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by usahed, Oct 1, 2006.

1. usahed

usahed New Member

Okay as u can see i am totally new at this martial arts thing, so bare with me guys..

I want to learn an easy but VERY street effective combination of martial arts (please dont say go for BJJ, because ive heard it is very difficult to train in from a few people)
    I want to learn how to demobilize an attacker, be more aware of surroundings, throw my attacker, perform joint locks and pressure points, and if possible A REALLY COOL STANCE :D. I dont want to be paying 600 bucks a month either=/

I live in a very bad neighborhood and go to a drug capitol school (lol) and already been held up with a knife once=/, i dont want to die at 16. Was thinking of RyuKyu Kenpo and Aikido, but all ive been doing is watching videos on youtube:( i have both dojo's close by along with Krav Maga and others, let me know your opinions!

P.S. negative on TKD seeing as half my family already knows it and hated it

2. mojo shorin-ryu

mojo shorin-ryu Valued Member

go with ryku kempo, very street effective, unlike bjj which is entirely ground fighting, bad guys rarely attack alone they often have buddies and whilest youre on the ground youre gunna get kicked in the head manso best to keep it standing. So yeah go with kempo or krav. The pod cast i have in my signature is a lot like kempo, its shorin-ryu but my teacher tells me it almost runs paralell with kempo and shorin-ryu has worked pretty well for me so far.

3. usahed

usahed New Member

Alrighty so RyuKyu Kenpo it is, i called the instructor earlier and i am going in either sunday or monday. Any other arts, I also have a Budokan dojo near me, along with Israeli Krav Maga(?) which is down the road close to Kenpo, any cool stances that go along with the arts? such as a kung fu type stance? that would be so cool...

4. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer Valued Member

Hapkido, JJJ, Karate. Any of those would be good. Karate and JJJ or Judo might be a good combination. Hapkido can cross with TKD but i know you dont want to do that. Hapkido can stand on its own however. Look around and see what looks best for you

5. usahed

usahed New Member

Karate is also trained where my future Kenpo class is trained, along with Cardio Kickboxing..Matter of fact there is a site of the dojo, here it is http://pvkarate.com/ tell me if any others are good, and im pretty sure they teach kenpo its just not on the site

6. mojo shorin-ryu

if i were you id go for that, i dont know the pricing but he's traning in shorin-ryu too so that gives anyone a plus in my book

7. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

Howdy

Most dojo's offer a class or two for free- try each one and see how you like them! It sounds like you know what you are looking for...

Forget about the cool stance(s), it'll cause more trouble than help. (You probably will learn some cool stances, heck I like them also- but save them for home or the dojo)

Karate? Karate means "Empty hand" it is not a style in and of itself... Of the ones you mentioned, Kempo and Krav-Maga are generally VERY street practical, Aikido is wonderful but save that for later...

Keep us posted!

8. usahed

usahed New Member

Well i guess you guys know what you are talking about and doing so i will take Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu aka kempo CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG!!! and after a year i will start in with Israeli Krav Maga also, and crosstrain with those, i get 3 free lessons from sensei Mike Wall. i went in this morning to open mat and met a couple people, they seem very nice and FAR from egotistical, which makes me want to do it even more:). Mike Wall has a 6th degree black belt in Ryu Te Ren Mei (i have NO idea what that is but it sounds good). i will go in tomorrow evening 6:30 to check out the beginning and intermediate adults and perhaps go with them idk..i will keep you posted on my first martial art though i promise you guys that. thank you SO much for your kindness, understanding, support, and help with this. i now know what to do:)
    My friend Josh, 3rd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, is going to do this all with me so i feel even more comfortable with it, and if my mom can afford paying for herself she will do it to, but it will all happen tomorrow.Thanks again guys i REALLLLLLLLLLLY appreciate your help. oh and if anyone has anything i should know further get me on aim or msn, i am always signed on and will gladly take any advice. laterz

9. dianhsuhe

?

Shorin-Ryu and Kempo are different martial arts. Although I suppose someone could have mixed them?

Do not judge the "style" or "instructor" based on rank. There are teachers who are VERY high ranking that cannot teach well, and beginning teachers who are excellent at conveying their art!

Also, where did you come up with 1 year then switch styles? many folks do that with success but I always advise to stay withing one style until you reach a fairly high rank (1st Degree BB) for example. That way you have a solid foundation when you begin somewhere else. Otherwise it tends to get jumbled, jack of all trades- master of none. Just my opinion... LOL

You have a buddy going with you which is GREAT! Train at the school where you enjoy it, where other students are courteous and respectful, and be wary of long-term contracts...

I am excited for you, remember- "The journey of a thousand miles begins with but a single step". And while you basically just want to learn to defend yourself against those who would do you harm--- you just might find 15 years from now that martial Arts is a way of life. (Been there done that-)

james

10. usahed

usahed New Member

Perhaps i misunderstood what the man was saying, keep in mind it was 7:30 in the morning and i had gotten only 5 hours rest. I am also looking for buddies on msn, perhaps anyone could add me?

Robert

11. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Take up Muay Thai or a mixed standup kickboxing art. No matter what anyone tells you, that WILL be the bread 'n butter of what you use in a fight. If you can land a solid shot to the jaw, without crumpling yourself upon recieving contact, you're halfway there and then all the other stuff will just add onto your fight game.

I would say if you don't want to do BJJ (though I would recommend it) to take up perhaps Judo for solid clinchwork and moderate groundfighting. At least you'll know enough to get a better position if you do end up on the ground.

Why did you post this question in the Kenpo forums anyway?

12. usahed

usahed New Member

Because RyuKyu Kenpo was my first choice in martial arts and found out later that the instructor didnt teach it anymore due to the students not following easily, so if that doesnt answer ur question its because i didnt see any other place fit

13. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

I have found training Kenpo and BJJ to be very rewarding. I don't see why people would say BJJ is difficult to train in unless it's just cuz it has to be all hands on training whereas some of the standup styles practice little kata's and crap one can do on their own. Combat Wrestling, BJJ and other grappling type stuff kinda requires a partner. it is very fun tho and a great workout.

14. mojo shorin-ryu

15. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

I'd go with Thai Boxing for your standup...

honestly you mentioning you've already been held up with a knife is concerning...

I'd look into a filipino system if I were you. you CANNOT use an empty handed mentality against an armed attacker.. Karate sure as hell isn't gonna help prepare the mind for dealing with a bladed weapon assault.

16. Kenpo_Dave

Kenpo_Dave Valued Member

Im currently training in Ed Parkers Kenpo and Kyokushin Budokai. The latter is a combination of full contact Karate and Judo and is a very formidable system that provides practial experience of fighting. Kenpo then provides the "street mentality" required for an effective self defense system. usahed my advice is to find a Mixed Martial Arts gym near you, even better if you can find a Kyokushin dojo that also teaches some form of grappling, and then also train in a system like Kenpo, Krav Maga or any of the Combatives style systems.

Good Luck.

Dave.

Edit: I went and found a Kyokushin Dojo in Phoenix for you www.hiokidojo.com :)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  17. dianhsuhe

Cool

Kenpo Dave is gonna be a dangerous guy with those two arts... The MMA are a good choice if it is local. I was under the impression that there were only a few choices close by.

Keep in mind also that while it is good to blend 2 or more martial arts, some styles have done it for you already. ;)

18. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

move to a new area...best self defense there is.

19. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Thread won by TKO. End of discussion.

20. usahed

usahed New Member

How?

how do i move the thread? do i just start a new 1 and del this one or is there a way to actually move it?