2+5=4

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by kickcatcher, Feb 14, 2004.

1. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

We call them katas, forms, poomse, taeguks. We're pretty informal overall, while still in keeping with being formal. I guess laid back is a better word. We very rarely call things by their Korean names, rather by their American version.

Katas...forms...paterns...poomse...taeguks (that's the form set I learned) they're all names that mean the same thing. We could say Up Chugi (or however it's spelled) but instead we say snap kick.

I have an acquintance that gets upset if you call it a round house because he insists it's a round kick and I'm like who cares, you understand what I'm saying.

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Board breaking.

PL

3. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

That was to help all the non-TKD listeners, there are many name for patterns (even in TKD). Personally, I prefer the term Tul ;) Don't be so hasty!

Destruction = The breaking of materials using parts of the body (boards, briks, slates - people).

I think you have the wrong mindset to my posts!! :D But we all have to live with our differences :D

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

So... you're saying that because most of the Muslims we ever hear about are extremists who blow themselves up, the Muslim community as a whole are extremist and will blow themselves up?

PL

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

What has Muslim extremists got to do with the quailty of instruction in a MA?

If it was an attempt at an analogy - it was a poor one.

6. totality

totality New Member

i think you need to work on your counting.

7. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

.... Patterns are also called hyungs also !

The Japanese word for forms/patterns ... the term "kata", the Japanese term is used more here in discussion because more people know what this means than the Korean terms...WTF: poomse, ITF old terminology: hyung,
    ITF new terminology: tul

Simple mistake on Kwondo's part as I never knew (long time ago) that board breaking was termed "destruction" until I frequented MA discussion boards.... now he knows too!

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

He's saying that because the style is most known for non-effectice techniques, the style itself is ineffective. Muslims are most known for blowing themselves up, yes? Does that mean they all do it? Or that it's the point of Islam? No. TKD Mcdojo instructors teach a perversion of TKD, just as extremist Muslims teach a perversion of Islam.

PL

9. totality

totality New Member

and yoda was saying it was a terrible analogy.

although martyrdom is a major part of islam, after the split between the shi'ia and sunni, caused by the assassination of the caliph ali, and the subsequent deaths of his sons. all 3 of them were considered martyrs by the shi'ia, who still considered him to be the divinely appointed leader of the empire. the sunni, however, felt that his leadership was no longer divinely sanctioned, as his compromise with some other fellow whose name evades me at the moment made his rule void and his life forfeit, as compromise is not something humans are allowed to do.

and because most arabs equate americans, and jews (due to a few right wing schmucks basically invading of what had been throughout most of history been the muslim sect of jerusalem...no names...) to the byzantine empire, there is nothing wrong, in their doctrine, with blowing themselves up to kill us. we are part of dar-al harm(sp?), as opposed to dar-al islam, and so we are wrong. christians and jews aren't as bad as pagans, because they're considered "people of the book," though they're still all going to hell for not submitting to the will of all'ah.

so, um...you're all wrong, i guess. pwned. :D

10. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I know what he meant.

Errrrr..... No.

11. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

it's a Robert Kilroy Silk moment.

sort of.

not really actually.

12. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

I think that Canny marketing had a lot to do with it rathr than the fact that people thought it was a good style. Most Americans thought it was called 'Korean Karate' for a long time.