1st strongman competition

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by icefield, Aug 6, 2019.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

So this weekend to celebrate my 44th birthday I took part in my first strongman competition.
    As it Was first timers category with no age limit or weight limits it was packed with 22 people
    there was also novice, intermediate and open categories as well as a ladies so the day was busy.

Events were as follows for my category:
    1) 70kg log clean and press for reps in a minute.
    Was hoping for 6 but the log felt light so managed 13 reps which was good as Graham hicks was reffing and at the end said my log lifting was the highlight of his day !
    2) 160kg deadlift for reps in a minute.
    Was hoping for 7 or so, actually managed 12 reps seeing as I felt a pop in my hamstring on rep 7 and a tear on rep 8 was pleased with this.
    3) 80kg farmers walk each hand 20m course I did it in 9.52 secs I think happy with this.
    4) 80kg keg carry for 20m did this in just over 10secs and managed not to fall over.
    5) final event was 76kg stone over bar for reps. Never handled a stone before in my life so was just hoping for a rep.
    Actually managed 10 in the minute time frame.

The day was long first event started at 10am last one finished at 4.30pm. I managed to come 9th out of 22 so happy with that.

So as well as competing in powerlifting I can now say I'm a strongman lol, as with powerlifting everyone involved was friendly and encouraging and I'd just say that if anyone here trains for strength then do one competition in your lifetime.

It forces you to train harder with more focus and shows you just how much you can actually lift when adrenaline is involved.

aaradia, Shmook, ned and 6 others like this.
  2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

My body fell apart just reading that. I can'think do a single rep of any of those things you just said. Congratulations! Hope you enjoyed it and do it again.

icefield likes this.
  3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Hope the hammy heals up OK.

icefield likes this.
  4. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Those are solid lifts!! Will you compete again? Heal quickly!

icefield likes this.
  5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Great going @icefield looking at such events, I always thought that I would feel drained after big lifts like deadlift.

That adrenaline goes a long way :D you knew you were injured but still got the extra reps!! Awesome.

Heal up soon!

icefield likes this.
  6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

To be honest powerlifting was more draining maxing out on the squat bench and deadlift in Only an hour or two was worse.

Strongman comps last longer with more recovery and yep adrenaline helps :)

I thinking the training program I ran helped a lot as well, made the events on the day seem relatively easy.

axelb likes this.
  7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Probably not I know the amount of work I'd have to put in to move up to the next level, it would mean basically stopping grappling and martial arts and dedicating to this

Next event will probably be martial arts based some sort of light armoured padded stick competition towards the end of the year

hewho and axelb like this.
  8. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Congratulations, but just reading what you had to do is making me think I need to call my doctor or an ambulance :D