1st fight

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by leeroyjenkins, Jan 20, 2016.

1. leeroyjenkins

leeroyjenkins Valued Member

Hi guys,

So my coach wants to sign me up for my first fight at some point in late spring. I'm excited about the prospect of testing out skills and would relish the opportunity, however, I have a few concerns

1. I wear retainer wire behind my teeth from braces and am terrified of getting my teeth knocked out after paying alot of money to get them done. I have always been conscious of it in sparring and am just wondering whether it is really a good idea to get in the ring with this through my mind

2. my weight is miles over the limit, I am concerned that I wouldnt be able to lose enough weight by fight time and don't want to commit and let people down

3. muay thai is a practice for me. I was initially planning to fight after 3 years plus of training and feel that I might be a little too inexperienced to step in the ring

that said, my coach has faith, and I do like the combat aspect of it in sparring, I am just nervous about my teeth, weight and feel that I haven't had quite enough training just yet, I am wondering if it is worth declining now and taking one next year sometime.

what do you guys think? yay or nay?

2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Voice your concerns to your coach and remember that it's your choice mate, not his.

3. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

I'm a pragmatist by nature so if it were me I wouldn't, but that's me. I've seen coaches that have that "sink or swim" or "it's good experience" mentaility. Which is all well and good, but if I was going to suffer or put my health at risk because I wasn't ready, then for me it's pointless.

Do you or your coach know much about your opponent? If your opponent has a similar skill level to you, that might be okay. If they are having their 20th fight and it's your first, that is a different story. If you're coach doesn't know anything about who you are fighting, again, if it were me, that would make me back out, especially if it is Muay Thai. If it were BJJ and I wasn't ready, chances are I'll get tapped quickly in a comp. MT is a different story.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If you still have a retainer in, your teeth are more at risk of getting moved/knocked out, you shouldn't even be hard sparring whilst its still in.

Wait till its out, compete then.

5. leeroyjenkins

I'm the same, I am a natural pragmatist and always see the worst in things. I am kind of a halfway house, I like the sparring, more than happy banging it out with training partners but I have always said that I am not too concerned about the combat aspect of MT, it is the fitness that gets me, 90% of it is cardio and I have a feeling I would be tired after 2 mins then get chopped to a boring decision

Coach says you lose your weight, then nearer the time they match you up with someone similar from another club. I do not know who it would be, but I think you are right, I could end up facing a complete killer when I am out of shape, have little cardio and fearful of getting my teeth bashed out so what's the point?

6. leeroyjenkins

The retainer is a permanent wire behind my upper and lower teeth, it's not a removable one. I have had it on for about 2 years and it is sort of welded to my teeth. It has always made me wary, and this is exactly why I am fearful of going hell for leather in sparring and even stepping in the ring.

You still think it is ok or give it a miss?

after considering everyone's responses, I am thinking of giving it a miss. I would love to be the guy that smashes the rival club, but still feel I have a long way to go in terms of cardio and also having the issue with my teeth running through my head makes me wary of committing. I do not want to be knocked out on the deck with my teeth and wires through my face, especially when it is just a hobby.......

7. PsychoElectric

PsychoElectric Valued Member

Maybe you shouldn't fight if you are that worried.
    Many other things might happen to you also.

8. liero

liero Valued Member

Go to the dentist, ask them about the retainer and combat sports. You should have a custom mouthguard if you're doing any contact sparring with some gear in. Trust me your not the first person to ask them.

How much weight do you actually have to loose? It might be a nice way to motivate yourself to get that extra cardio work in for both the fight and weight loss.

You have not given much info about the fight. There is a big difference between jumping in for a full thai rules (knees and elbows) no pads bar gloves for multiple rounds against a good opponent at a promoted fight night; to say fighting someone else new at a small interclub hosted by your club in your club for 3x2 with modified rules and headgear.

How long have you been training? How long has your coach been coaching? How many other people fight at your club?

edit: If you can't tell. I'm all for you taking the fight. I think pressure testing in a regulated and skill matched (rules and opponent) setting is great for anyone doing a martial art at any point in their training beyond the very introductory level.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  9. Knee Rider

Deffo dont compete yet. Your mind isn't right and your heart is not in it.

10. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

While it may be best for this particular person not to fight at this time, it's worth stating that pretty much no one ever feels ready for their first match in anything.

11. Knee Rider

Agree. Just to qualify there is a difference between nerves and nagging doubts and how the IP is feeling (appears to be feeling). Not intended as blanket advice.
    I was super nervous in the moments before my first competitive martial arts comp but I was mentally ready and very enthused too.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  12. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

If you don't have the confidence to ask your own coach these questions first then you shouldn't be fighting.

One of the main reasons I left my last club was because I didn't feel like my instructor could be trusted, or had my best interests at heart, confronting him about my doubts proved it as he just cared about money and keeping things to himself. When you get in the ring trust is everything. If you have a relationship where you and your coach cannot be open about stuff then fighting should be the last thing on your mind.

Get your affairs in order, then build up your relationship with your coach, before you step into the ring. Any coach worth his weight in gold will not mind this. Actually it should be encouraged.