1st Aikido lesson

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by gorinnosho, Jan 22, 2008.

1. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

So yesterday,(21-1-08) at 6:00 pm GMT +10,i had my first aikido lesson, and im pretty much hooked.

it's so different to karate, besides just the striking, non striking. they 're whole concept of how the body works, weight distrebution, ettiquete. the where however a few parts that i understood, e.g bow in and movement. it suprised me that i learned iconic techniques that i really wanted to learn, we kinda started slow (i can't remember any of the names of the stuff we did), we did a thing where some one grabes your wrist so you pivot into them and dip you hand up and it breakes the grip, then the thing where you spin them around you and then knock them backwards over themselves, then some backward rolls, then another technique which i can't remember, but it was from a yoko strike and then from a straight on strike you grab there arm and take them down into an arm pin sort of thing. then to finish we did a seated resistance excersize. the sensei doesn't explain things as much as my sensei for karateand on wednesday we are doing jo staff work, it that normal this early?

all in all i enjoyed myself and will hopefully continue, i'd like to tell you more how i get on but as the school term is staring soon i won't get a chance.

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Best wishes for your future training. Sounds like a typical basic class. Check out the martial arts of aikido threads for some interesting exchanges.

regards koyo

3. Sounds like you enjoyed it!
    Good luck with your training. :)

4. aikidoka-je

aikidoka-je Blue Floral Belt

sounds good keep it up and someday you will be very good at it and good day to you