1960's Kajukenbo clip

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by John Bishop, Apr 19, 2007.

1. John Bishop

John Bishop Valued Member

Here's a clip from around 1962. It's old and grainy, but still viewable. The instructor in black is Charles Gaylord. The instructor in red is Walter Godin.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7OsZ0XKtbG4

2. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Thanks John.

Were the two you mentioned one in the red and the other in black with the bodyslam over the knee? :)

Good stuff it brings back old memories of standing in a horse stance and doing those strikes and kicks till you ached, then did more. Legs got so strong, really good, I still do that, plus lots of low squat and crossover and then squat, similar to the naihanshi moves, but more like silat. Very important for coming from below with all your weight or dropping quickly and all your weight being used.

Thanks.
    Gary

3. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

That's a pretty cool clip

4. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Gotta love the conditioning, getting kicked and punched by the instructor while in a horse stance. **** like that doesn't fly so well these days with students unless you get a good group :rolleyes:

5. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

That was very typical in those days, if you were in the Corps the stuff they did was very brutal. Hospital time for many and gone because of the injuries. Much of it was to change an attitued and then they grabbed a new platoon and were ok. But if you had the "tude' You were hurt bad.. Pretty rough and brutal that is for sure, when you look back on it. But that was the way then, it is not like that now.

It is not a good thing even if you have a good group, it is a sick mentality any way you cut it... You can do it and the thing that you produce is going to be even worse at times, and then it finally flows over and what you get is what is going on in this country right now, basicly domestic terrorist's. And ten times the number in jail than in the 50's not good at all. IMHO :bang:

Gary

6. John Bishop

Everyone in our adult/teen class goes thru it. Men, women, or children, 13 and older. Except it's not the instructor hitting them once or twice. The class lines up, and every one takes a punch from every student. Whether it's 15 students or 25 that day.

7. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

John like I mentioned thanks.

You are a good instructor I am told by others so I figure you are going to be doing like Dan T. and making sure it is within the confines of fair training. An occasional mishap is acceptable. But not cheapshots, I figure.

I am not of the mentality, "I had to endure horrible pain and injuries (training) so everyone else has to" not in this day and age of major legal suing. You don't keep students with that type of training, unless they are getting paid for it and have insurance. POST academies are even way way more gentle. For many are not there for real it is just a course and they are taking it, many never get to the next step, "Police work" for whatever reason you can imagine. It has nothing to do with capabilities some of the best I saw in the academy just wern't cut out for what is encountered in the "real street". Or the BS that is in the upper ranks of management. :bang:

Now you showed a few clips of early players no padding. Then you are showing spar and sprawl with padding. That is good and sensible IMHO.

Gary

8. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

There wasn't much padding availible in the early 60's like there is today. You can't get away from hard training though if you want to learn. If you have no contact, then people will get lazy and not learn to evade or block effectively. NOr will they learn how to take a punch or kick if they are never punched or kicked. BTW, there's no such thing as a cheap shot in Kajukenbo.

9. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Ok now it is much clearer from where you are coming. Yes I will agree with you on this 110%.

I was training in sticks and got a very rude awakening when I failed to move the leg out of the way at the right time. LOLOL... Parries work great as long as you are not having your leg in the way and your shin is an easy target similar to "defanging the hand" that is very popular.

Leading "shin" is the term for that hit. LOL...

I have a scar on my hand that I notice daily, hit very hard by an instructor at a seminar while I was just standing being the uki and the stick was supposed to be hit not my hand with the second of a redonda move, in Doce Pares...I never even flinched. Mind over matter on that one believe me. The tip is very deadly and it hurts LOL No broken bones but still a good scar...

I was just really looking at it close, it should be looked at I am thinking very rough texture. I latter exposed it to the sun while it was healing...Not good, old skin does not heal well. But that is just a lesson that hurting someone in practice is truly counter productive. IMHO...

Fine line for sure regarding what should be done and what should not. Accidents seem to happen all to frequently in bad run dojos I have noticed.

Gary

10. John Bishop

Another early 60's clip from Aleju Reyes's school, beginners classes.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XcjefT_9-U"]Reyes Kajukenbo 1960's - YouTube[/ame]

11. John Bishop

One more from Aleju Reyes's school:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYlEcIhSQuU"]Reyes Kajukenbo 2 - 1960's - YouTube[/ame]

12. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Well, I'd never seen footage of Aleju Reyes in action before, so it is very cool to see him doing punch counter #1 in this one.

13. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

I just liked seeing the video of my old instructor and one of my mentors. At the time of the video, they were younger than I am now. I think Master Reyes is holding Te (his youngest daughter) at the end of the video. Pretty cool stuff. Gonna have to to rib Sifu Hart when I get a chance.

14. John Bishop

15. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Did you notice the hit to the student when asking a question at .52-53 of the video. Old day stuff still done. Not nice in my way of thinking. It really impressed the student, you could tell... :rolleyes:

Both of those videos that you have shown regarding the moves, blocks/strikes kicks I still do them in my warm up time. I show them to others for they are not something taught where I am at. I saw it at the Chow Memorial, overzealous kick and you could hear the shoe to the cup and laughter. Good thing for the cup. Never leave home with out it they say. :D
    Diapers arn't a bad idea in Sambo tech's, with the carotid being held to long.

:cool:

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  16. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Oh, is THAT why you wear diapers?

17. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Not me, how about you?

:Angel:

18. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but isn't the carotid artery in the neck? why is a diaper necessary?

19. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

You cut the blood to the brain, then the body malfuntions.

Simple really.

20. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

And we all know that Gary's been choked out by Gene Lebell, so he knows what it is to lose control of his bodily functions in public.