15 min for cardio?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Master J, May 9, 2007.

1. Master J

Master J "No style, no limitation"

I am unfit. I can't run 5 min without getting out of breath.

So, I decided to get fit! I have been jumping on my exercise bike for 15 min each night this week. Will this benefit me???

2. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Sure it can benefit you. Any excercise is better than none, just make sure you ease into it versus going balls out!

3. Emil

Emil Valued Member

At this stage, anything will help. Just make sure you consult a doctor, and if you get the all clear, make your cardio session harder, but have at least one day of rest.

4. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

Yes, but there are better ways to get something out of it. Try doing a sprint routine for 15 mins instead- you should get more out of that. Ie: Run as fast as you can for 10 seconds, jog for 50 seconds, repeat for a total of 15 minutes.
    (Trust me, it's harder than you might think.)

5. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Master J - you're 19.

Don't bother with the exercise bike, go for weight bearing cardio exercise like hill walking or running.

For non-runners, I suggest running on road. Run from one street lamp to the next, walk to the next street lamp, run the next interval and so on. Do this for 15 minutes 4 times a week.

In the second week you can either do the routine twice a day 3 times a week and add a bike/swim session or increase the amount of time (eg. 20 min 4 times a week + bike/swim session).

There's so many variations you can play with J, just start!

6. Master J

Master J "No style, no limitation"

There ain't many places around here to do that. I don't want to run on concrete anyway for my knees. I could go up to the park, but I don't want to look like an unfit ****! I think I will stick with the biking for a bit ( I DO be out of breath after it) until I get some reasonable fitness. Then I'll try that!

When I'm University later this year, I could use the grounds for training though!

7. Emil

Emil Valued Member

How about joining a gym and using the treadmill?

8. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Lily gave you the best advice so far. If you have a sidewalk, then there is grass next to the side walk. Run on the grass, save your knees. I don't understand how you could be in an area where you can't run next to the road? Do you live in the wilderness somewhere where there aren't any powerlines?

9. Lily

Lily Valued Member

*high fives Sparkle*

Master J, if anyone looks at you when you're running outside its because they're jealous of you. Other people are not going to have a heart attack because you're unfit, you do what you need for yourself.

If you don't want to run, you can bike for 2-3 minutes get off it and do a minute of jump rope, back on the bike and so on. I really recommend doing intervals.

Do you mind if I ask how much weight you think you need to lose to feel good about yourself?

10. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

There isn't often grass next to the pavement in the UK and the Irish Republic, but good trainers will do a lot to save your knees from the jarring damage of running on hard core or concrete. Mug a skanger if you can't afford a pair.

11. Lily

Lily Valued Member

dougy - I'm sure mugging someone would increase your overall speed :D

I don't think running on the pavement in short intervals for 15-20 minutes a few times a week will cause knee damage. Not anymore than the strain on your knees of being overweight would.

12. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Any study to back that up?

Adoug - Ah, I hadn't the slightest clue. You must forgive me, I just got done doing some strenuous exercise and my mind wasn't thinking "Cities and crowded areas." Hell, just about five miles from here in Gainesville you can't really just up and start running on grass, lol. /me steps outside body, looks at self and says "pffft, what an idiot."

There are often places that you can up and go drive to, or even walk though I'm sure.

I have a suggestion. If you really want to get in shape and save on your body, find a patch of field you could lay down in, nothing bigger, and do tabata with three forms of exercise three times a week. Heck, do it on the bicycle! Or tone it down and do HIIT, Lily can tell you all about that, it's her middle name.

13. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

@J

Do you have serious knee problems, as in, you've had damage, surgery, etc.? Or do you just have achey knees? If you have a history of damage/surgery, go easy. But if not (as I hope) then your knees can probably use the exercise. If you run into problems with use injuries (inflammation) then deal with them at that time. Preventative medicine is good, but you'll have a tough time getting more fit if you are that limited.

If you can't do HIIT/Sprint routines on your feet, then go to your gym and do it on the row machine (the erg). That'll knock you flat- I guarantee it.

@Adoug

What's a skanger? I feel so... american.

"England and America are two countries separated by the same language."
    -Sir Walter Besant

14. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Skanger is a ned, a chav, a petty street criminal type from Dublin.

[​IMG]

15. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I've heard most knee injuries or pain from running is due to the IT band. Or an imbalance between the strength of the quads and the hamstrings, not the surface. If this where not the case professionals should have terrible knees as the run 30miles plus a week, but they take time on the core stability, soft tissue work and stretching. The chinese sisters forgot there names are massaged most of the time when they are not running.

16. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

Yes, but the pros have also developed their ability to run, and don't have weak/imbalanced muscles.

For somebody who's getting off the couch(can't run for 5 minutes), he has to ease into outdoor running. Also there's the likelihood that there's extra weight that needs to be shed.

I strongly recommend rowing as an indoor alternative. It's one of the toughest cardio machines out there IMO, and easy on the knees.

17. doc97

doc97 Valued Member

Remember to take it slow. Your body will thank you for it. Any exercise is good, 15 min three times a week just walking would be a good start. Then slowly increase to 20 min, then up to thirty three times a week, then add another day, increase your pace gradually and eventually you can get up to running. The bike is also a great way to start, just remember don't try to be Lance Armstrong over night!!

It's easy to get fustrated with exercise, when you don't see the pounds flying off, you can loose your motivation. I know thats my biggest problem. In Judo we run for the first 5 minutes of class pretty much sprinting, I couldn't do it when I started, but now I can.

You say your starting university soon, in the states most colleges require some sort of physical education credits. I'm not sure if thats required in Ireland, but that would also be a good change to get some exercise in, martial arts, football, hurling (something I saw on vacation in Ireland and it looked really fun!!) or rugby. Join a club on campus, you're young so getting in shape will be alot quicker for you than me (I'm pushing 40)

Lily gave some good suggestions to, thats kinda what I do on the treadmill now, jog for a minute and than walk for a minute, etc...

Good Luck!

18. DAMADAD

DAMADAD Valued Member

Do you own a bicycle? Pick a point on the map that you would like visit and ride there.

19. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Yeh just watch out when you get to uni...i have a feeling the running and fitness will flip reverse when you see all the pretty girls and the beer!!

Just don’t give up on it!...the fitness that is!

If you do get serious about running and you are worried about your knees or anything else, get yourself some proper running trainers...none of this Nike air trash.

Seek out a running shop, go there and they will measure your feet up and look at how your foot/ankle and leg are aligned and they should kit you up with the best shoe for you!

Another thing, when i was about 17 i was a little chubby, unfit etc...my brother has always been a runner so he helped me out in the beginning, so what im saying is try and get someone to go out running with you if you can...makes the road less lonely.

And really, who gives a rats **** what all the dwellers in the park think, you're the one trying to do something with your life...so just run right past and laugh right back at them.

;)

20. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Single leg deadlfits if you cant do them well you should probably limit running.