140 lbs from 190 lbs. Too unrealistic of a goal?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Tian-Tian, Apr 23, 2009.

1. chof

chof Valued Member

yes you are but i have no fat on me im a hockey player and a martial artist, you have to weight train and turn that fat into muscle its the only way you will lose it, it took me 9 months to lose twenty pounds and skated everyday hard, it si the combo of cutting all fat and sugars out of diet eating 1300 to1400 calories aday and exercise cardio and weight training, example you can eat 3 8 ounce steaks a day with rice and veggies and still bewithin 1300 calories, no in between eating and you may wind up feeling hungry true, because your body is use to you eating, because your body is use to your eating, but what your body needs and what you have been feeding it , is a whole different story grin and bear it

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  2. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Going hungry while dieting is not a good idea. It just makes desire bad stuff all the more. Try stay full on good stuff.

You can have a genetic tendency to be overweight, but that doesn't mean you have to be overweight. You just have to work a bit harder! :)

I have read that some people have had dramatic success in weight loss by transitioning to an all raw food diet. Even if you decide afterwards that you want to incorporate cooked foods again, maybe go to more of a whole foods diet, the raw food diet may be something to look into to drop the weight. Of course, eating this way requires a lot of will power! If you do decide to look into it let me know and I'll recommend some books, you need to be careful because there's a lot of wrong info out there about it.

3. Tian-Tian

Tian-Tian Awesome 15 minutes a day.

Okay, time out. :eek:

It's been said that "muscle is heavier than fat".
    I don't LOOK fat. Curvy? Yes. Soft? Yeah.

But I can guarantee I do have a good amount of muscle built up underneath. Otherwise, even the slightest amount of exercise would wind me and put me out for the count, given my weight (assuming that my 191 lbs. is all fat). But it doesn't. Perhaps a fair chunk of that 191 lbs. is simply muscle...

The Question:

Am I simply looking at the wrong numbers to begin with? And, if fat converts to muscle then won't I just pack on the numbers as I attempt to "lose weight"?

4. 1369phil

1369phil Valued Member

Simple answer - No and no.

If you "convert" fat to muscle you will find that for each pound of muscle you gain your body will burn a very large amount of calories. So with diet being the same then you will get leaner.

I may have missed this, but you're not doing weights or cardio - just MA training ?

Apart from the obvious question "what is this doing in the weight training section ?" - the other question would be "why not ?"

Lack of time is irrelevant, interval training for 15 minutes a day can easily be done - get up 15 minues earlier.

Another thing - if you're getting hungry then your body is going to hang onto every bit of food you eat, turn it to fat and slow your metabolism, because it thinks you need all the food for long term storage.

Dont get hungry.

5. chof

chof Valued Member

no you are fat, but not obese, average fat chick and i do not mean that in a derogatory way, just calling a spade a spade, in fact 90 percent of nh women look like you and they think that is average, its not, lets put that a side, your list of foos is damaging, ice cream, no, 2 per milk, no, chips no, that little bag has over 400 calories in it

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  6. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Ok, why not try this Tian :

Take the basic advice from here, have a look at some of the websites. Don't starve yourself- drink LOTS of water and green tea.

Keep your food diary.

Don't take in any more advice for 1 week ,see how it goes, make sure you write everything you eat, even the bad stuff.

Then come back and tell us how it is going , we can then see where you should go next.

Don't keep dwelling on your weight- you obviously aren't happy with it and want to do something but you got to put the effort in too. I want to lose weight, I write down what I eat and I train, hard. I do cardio, I do weights and I follow a strict regime. That's what it has to be like if I want to get down to my target weight.

Go see how it goes for a week ,then come back and let us know how it's going.

7. righty

righty Valued Member

Keep a food diary dammit. How do you have any idea of what sort of energy you are taking in if you don't? You don't have to do this permanently, although it may help. But it will definitely help you map out exactly where all your calories and nutrients are coming from.

And stop worrying so much about what you look like. You shouldn't be wanting to lose weight to look good (although it's a plus) you should be doing it to be healthier and hopefully live longer.

Don't get upset because you didn't lose weight in your first week. It happens to a lot of people. Only weigh yourself once and week and do it at the same time of day each time.

And yes, losing 50 pounds in 3 months is probably unrealistic as well as unhealthy. Don't set yourself up for failure.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  8. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Why shouldn't you lose weight to look good? That's a big part of why I wanted to do it.

9. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

I don't know about Tian-Tian, but I'm interested in any raw food info you have. i've been vegetarian for over 13 years and have briefly flirted with the raw food diet for a week or two at a time. I am interested in giving it a slightly more extended go this summer.

Any info you have would be appreciated.

paz,

dormindo

Oh, p.s.(so that I'm not a total moocher in someone else's thread): I'm not sure if you have other activities outside of your martial art, but if you have none, it may be good to do other things--bike, run, play basketball, do some bodyweight training, jump rope, etc. You may even wish to crosstrain in another art, I'll place my biased vote for capoeira.

10. righty

righty Valued Member

It shouldn't be the primary reason.

There are always exceptions of course. eg. people changing or making weight classes for competition.

Also, IMHO, people look good when they look healthy so it could be a moot argument.

11. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

@dormindo: I'll check with my mum (she's the one that really knows a lot about it :)) and get back to you ASAP.

12. dormindo

I look forward to your response, and thanks.

paz,

dormindo

13. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

The Boutenko's books are very good (www.rawfamily.com), such as "Green for Life" and "12 Steps to Raw Foods".

The Garden Diet (www.thegardendiet.com) is a good resource. I don't know if they have books, but they have ebooks, podcasts, etc.

Doug Graham's (www.foodnsport.com) is very good, and what's especially nice about him is his emphasis on athletic performance (he's coached many well known athletes).

Tonya Zavasta (www.beautifulonraw.com) has good material, including good info on sleep cycles, etc. and she also has her own line of natural beauty products and stuff.

Frederic Patenaude (www.fredericpatenaude.com) has LOT of info.

David Wolfe (www.naturesfirstlaw.com) has good stuff, but be cautious, because he's very into super foods, supplements, etc. and his books are more philosophical than practical.

Also, what want you shoot for is a diet as close to the natural state of the food as possible. The raw gourmet stuff is to help transition, not the staple of the raw food diet. "Your Natural Diet" by Fry and Klein is a good book dealing with transitions, showing you what to eliminate first, etc.

Hope that helps, good luck! :)

14. dormindo

Thanks for the links! I'm familiar with Graham and Patenaude. I will give Wolfe a pass, though, as I am not into superfoods AT ALL (seems a scam to me).

Thanks again,

dormindo

15. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle