140 and a teenager

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cannonballken, May 26, 2005.

1. Cannonballken

Cannonballken New Member

hello all...
    Im a teenager , and I just turned 17 and I was wondering how much protien I should take in a day at my wieght. I am not out of shape , actuall Im quite ripped but I want an edge to push me over the top. Also i was wondering whats the most effective multi vitamin supplemnt out there .

2. On food and diet how bad is it that I eat bi g burgers and chinese food 4 to 3 days a week . I just have a fst metabolsim so it hasnt got to me yet .
    Although at night I always eat a healthy dinner and breakfast is good to .

2. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Protein: How much do you weigh? That will dictate the ideal amount you'll need to take in daily.

Diet: ditch the burgers and chinese as regualr fare, we had this discussion when you first joined!

3. SparcZ

SparcZ That's flexibility!

I have heard it said that you can look at your nutrition overtime as a cone shape. Picture your youth as the beggining of the cone so that there is plenty of choice. As you get older you need to be more careful what you eat as the cone starts to narrow. Obviously, if you can get into good eating habits at your age you will greatly benefit from it. Check out http://greggavedon.com/ this guy is in great shape and has a lot of nutritional and supplement advice.

About your weight: if you have a fast metabolism like I did (I was 135lbs 5'9") when I was 18, you will find it hard to put on weight. I used to drink weight gain shakes 3 times a day that had ice cream and protein, milk...almost 800 calories per drink and still eating a tonne and couldn't put on any weight. That being said quality protein and six meals a day and a lot of patience is what you will require. If you can put on 5-7lbs/year of lean muscle you would be still ripped and 160lbs at 21.

I'm 30 now and weigh 179lbs and 5'11" and the bodyfat is alright at around 13% but nothing like I used to be when I was younger. Good luck to you! :)

4. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

just eat looooads if you find it hard to put on mass, eat ALOT of carbs, roughly 3g per lb, and 1.5g of protein per lb of muscle, and around 100g of good fats (omega 3's and 6's, from fishes and nuts)

5. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

That's actually 1 to 1.5 grams per KG of bodyweight. And that's on the steep side. Recommended intake for a non-vegetarian would be 0.8 to 1.0 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.

6. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

are you correcting me? becuase i meant 1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight

7. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Yes, I am correcting you. The proper measurement is grams to kilograms not grams to pounds. That comes straight from the nutritionists.

8. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Oops, troll mode enabled again. Turn off.

Bai: Sorry to be blank but your wrong. 1 gram of protein per kilo is EXTREMELY thin and you may fall into protein malnourishment. What nForce said is correc,t 1 - 1.5 g per POUND of bodyweight and that goes for vegetarions or not. Just cos your a vegetarion doesn't mean you need more or less protein, including what you get in your food its the same.
    I would say the good fats figure is a bit steep but still good fats are good. Carbs are necessary, 3 -4 g/pound.

Cannon if you want to build up a layer of fat junk food isn't the awy. Eat more and also have about 100g oats in milk with a bit of sugar every evening about 45 mins before you go to bed. I won't go into the details but this will help you build some fat

9. TheCount

No it doesn't. What comes from nutritionists is 1- 1.5g/POUND. I know because hes written a book and so on and is very well known and respected in the muscle building world as wel as running the biggest BB'ing forum in the Uk, admit it Bai, you are wrong.

10. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

Baikaiguy, i meant what i said, 1g per kilo is for the average person in an average diet. this guy will be loosing weight, and if hes not careful he'll loose muscle to, so i stick by what i said aim for 1.5g per lb of body weight

please dont correct me again, you can say your view sure,but dont try to make me look thick

11. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

TheCount you talking about James somethering or another?

12. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Protein is measured in grams/day, how can you compare pounds to grams, it's utterly illogical using two different measurement systems. Every source I've consulted has stated it's grams to kilograms. Produce sources, I've done so in several vegetarian and protein threads in this forum and no one has yet to discount my numbers or measurements.

And yes, b/c you're a vegetarian you need more protein. Plant protein is harder to digest than meat protein. The recommended amount of protein for vegetarians is rougly 0.2 to 0.7 grams more per day to accomodate for that fact. Again, find me a nutritionist who says otherwise and I'll look it up. Otherwise I'm gonna rely on the vegetarian nutritionists.

13. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

14. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Would you like my sources? I'm not wrong. The proper intake for me is 60 grams of protein per day. I weight 130-ish, whciih translates into 48 kilos.

48 multiplied by 1.5 is 60.

That comes from several licensed nutritionists here in the States.

15. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

16. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

BaiKaiGuy cant you admit you were wrong? for anyone who wants to build mass, or loose fat its recommended 1.5g per lb of weight, (at least that when your cutting)

17. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Suzanne Havala, MS, RD
    Vesanto Melina, MS, RD
    Brenda Davis, RD

I have their books right in front of me, thanks.

18. TheCount

19. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Well, then it's a battle of the sources as neither of us are admitting we're wrong.

20. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

well what exactly do your sources say? do they say 'when trying too loose bodyfat effectively with loosing minimal muscle you should intake 1g per kg of bodyweight?'