14 years on MAP (!!)

Discussion in 'Celebrations!' started by aikiMac, Jun 3, 2017.

1. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Whoa -- June 3, 2003. That's 14 years on this silly internet forum. :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
    What have I been doing with my life, man?! :bang: :cry:

Naw. :p That just sounds crazy -- 14 years. Wow. That's ... a really long time.

I think only Thomas has been here longer (by 6 weeks). So, cheers to my online buddy Thomas! And cheers to MAP! (clink!) :jester:

:Aegis: :saz: :simon: :mitch: :aaradia: :ban: :Alien: :topic: :whistleblower:

Saz likes this.
  2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

And no time off for good behaviour? :D

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Definitely not.

Now get back to modding. :D

4. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

A small time ...compared to your training ..

well done

Smurf

5. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

It really is a long time huh... :D
    I know for sure, it wouldn't have been the same without you.
    Some of my nicer early memories were joining in some philosophical chat with yourself and AikiWolfie.. now what happened to him I wonder.

Nice one, that's no mean feat!

6. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Congrats! It has been a fun ride!

I think actually joined on the old board a year or two earlier... I think I joined in 2001 or so.

7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ya, that is crazy. I joined my first m.a. school in 1991. :eek: Wow, that was a long time ago. Back then the public internet had barely started, no one I knew had email, and Marky Mark was a singer, not an actor!

Thanks, man. I remember a lot of good threads, yes. :)
    I don't know what happened to Wolfie, either.

8. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

1986 for me !!

OLD and BOLD ...

MAP Meet coming up

9. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Guess, that proofs it: You need a life ;)

10. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

At least to talk MA online with people who is interested is easier than to knock on your next door neighbor and asked if he is willing to spar with you for 15 rounds.

I have to say that MAP is not a friendly place for new comers. Many new comers came, started a thread, had been eaten alive, left, and have never seen them since.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  11. Simon

I disagree.

We work hard to welcome people and I think youbwould be suprised how much discussion goes on behind the scenes in regard to the way we run the site and how people are dealt with.

12. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Can't say I agree.

What I saw were new people who were welcomed, when they were friendly, serious and the such.
    And I saw new people who started threads with stuff, that was close to rule-breaking, nearly starting fights or would sulk, because some answers didn't suit them.

Usually I see, that people here take the other serious; serious enough, to give answers, the person who asked might not like or want to hear, but is correct anyway.

13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Just check the thread "Wearing a sword how does it dang? Gets in way?", you will know what I'm talking about. A simple question soon turns into personal. This pattern has been repeated over and over here - not discussing OP's subject but trying to get into OP's life.

14. Simon

And check out the other 200,000 threads.

There are people on MAP with 15000+thanks and you don't get that for being unhelpful.

Not sure about you, but I'd rather focus on the positive.

In a few days members of MAP will get together to raise money for two cancer charities.

MAP is paying the £390.00 for the venue hire in order that every single penny raised goes to the charities.

We have purchased new software and are currently developing a new site.

We have had a graphic designer do a new logo for us and those who attend the MAP meet will get a chance to see it.

many members of Martial Arts Planet have donated martial arts related items for the raffle taking place after the meet.

Mitch and I are in discussion about the possibility of doing a self defence lecture at the end of the 2018 Meet.

We are looking at re-opening the MAP shop so branded clothing can be purchased.

One day we'd love to be in the position to sponsor up and coming fighters.

We've discussed the possibility of blog hosting and much more to make Martial Arts Planet the first port of call for anything MA related.

Not bad for a site that scares away newbies.

I'd also remind you that last year our members raised money to bring home Stephanie Inglis, who was left to die in a Vietnamese hospital.

Stephanie got back to Scotland and is now talking about competing again.

As far as I'm concerned our members rock.

I'm happy to continue the discussion, because I have dozens more examples.

15. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Well, you are entitled to your opinion. But I personally agree with Latikos. Most of the times I see someone not treated kindly are when they come in here and insist they are masters by teaching themselves via youtube, push the "my art is great and yours stinks" attitude, etc.

Occasionally things do get rude. Just like anywhere on the Internet.

Just curious, do you ever use the report function to make sure the mods see it when people are getting "eaten alive?" We do try to monitor everything, but sometimes things slip through the cracks and we miss something.

What do you say on those threads? Do you contribute something to counteract the issue you see when it happens? Make a point to be more productive yourself in countering it?

And what do you do here to welcome newcomers? Do you make a point to say welcome on the introduction threads?

16. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Why can't we just stay on the subject and not get involve with "YOU"? Attacking the messenger instead of discussing the subject is the main issue that I'm trying to address here.

I'll never be rude to any newcomer. I also don't say "welcome" to newcomer. It's not my style. But if a newcomer asks question. I'll try to provide information for that question. Whether he may accept or ignore my suggestion, I'll still stay on that subject and not get involve with his personal live.

The following post is a 'friendly" discussion forum suppose to have - stay on the subject and not look down on newcomers.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  17. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I'm speculating now, bit I think aaradias point was more, that everyone can do something, if he is of the opinion that someone is rude to newcomers.
    You see a personal attack, you can react to it - personally or my reporting it.

Which I agree with, by the way, and don't see it as a accusation or excuse to not do something as mod.

18. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

14 years! I'm touching on 13 years :D I had a few years break from proper training and barely came on here during those last few years.

19. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

You get it exactly Latikos. My point is people can just complain and be negative, but just being negative without doing anything positive to fix it doesn't impress me.

I always try, when I see an issue, to not just complain, but to have a positive solution when I bring up an issue.

20. Simon

Martial Arts Planet has started to receive Facebook messages from those that attended the MAP Meet yesterday.

These are from first time attendees.

I could of course let this argument die a death, but as someone on the internet is wrong I won't. :D