13 jo kata

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Smitfire, May 29, 2019.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm learning the 13 jo kata from my new teacher...sensei Yootoobe.
    Always fancied learning some moves with a stick of that size (a broomstick!).
    Also using the jo as an exercise aid. Saw Ronda Rousey doing some cool stretching and mobility with a stick.

Anyone got any tips or pointers?
    Finding the transition from move 1 to 2 a bit tricky for starters.

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Can you put a video up as reference mate ?
    I’ve done some jo kata in aiki and if it’s anything like that I’ll try and give you some pointers

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Is it jodo or something else?
    (Aiki or SMR?)

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Using this vid as a starting point but looking at other 13 jo kata there does appear to be slight stylistic differences so this is by no means definitive.

bassai likes this.
  5. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

That looks like a much twirlier version of the kata I did in aiki , for example , the transition between 1 & 2 was broken down , so the way I learned it was
    1/ chudan ski
    2/ Jodan uke
    3/ slide your hand half way down to enable the spin/switch
    4/ shomen uchi

If that makes any sense

Smitfire likes this.
  6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

So my jo came. Although it's very long for a jo. It's almost like the place I ordered it from can't tell the difference between a jo and a bo. Or maybe I've shrunk 2 feet in the last few weeks? :(

8. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I don’t know how it’s done in aikido but in the kukishin system (where the basics are sword vs jo) one key idea is to keep your distance and use sudden changes in attacking direction to defeat a swordsman (the jo is more versatile in terms of direction/angle than a sword). However, you should always disrupt your opponent’s sword as part of your transitions. The key issue being that a jo isn’t much longer than a sword and a sword can be more injurious with less movement so you need to buy time in order to make a transition

Frodocious and Smitfire like this.
  9. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Yay! Something I can actually help with!
    I always liked the 31 jo kata better and better for beginners as I think the hand movements are a little less complex, and they build on the mechanics found earlier in the form. These videos are actually pretty good:

13 jo kata:

First take a look at step 2 in the 31 jo kata. What you're doing for step 2 of the 13-kata is several things at once:

1. Transitioning to that same position overhead as in step 2 of the 31-kata (but with the rear hand facing inward instead of outward as in 31-kata)
    2. Doing a reverse 'pool cue' motion by sliding the rear hand up to the middle where the front hand is
    3. Rotating the jo around
    4. Grabbing the new rear of the jo with your free hand and finishing the strike

Now I think the 31 jo kata is a better place to start, but regardless, if you need help I'm happy to lend my Yoshinkan knowledge.

Also in terms of jo size I was always told, and you'll notice this is true in the videos I posted, that the ideal length is to armpit height. If you have a saw and some varying grits of sandpaper it's worth trimming it. It's much more comfortable at that length.

Mitch and Smitfire like this.
  10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'd like to thank sifu Ben for his 31 jo kata suggestion!
    I only picked 13 jo kata because it's shorter and I (stupidly) assumed that would make it easier to remember/learn.
    I've been doing some faffing about with the jo most mornings for about 2 weeks now. Starting with shoulder dislocations, neck massage, spinal twists, wrist rolls, twirls, etc.
    Then a few repetitions of 31 jo kata as a kind of gentle moving meditation really.
    I'm aiming to add a new move every day for a month or so until I have it all the way through.
    I'm now up to move 20. Found a couple of the transitions really tricky to nail down (move 20 for example) but I'm getting there.
    Current back issues are also making the crouching tricky at this stage of the kata.
    One positive side effect is that my right wrist (which has bothered me on and off since I broke it in my late 20's) is feeling really good.

SWC Sifu Ben, Mitch and bassai like this.
  11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

So I've got a rough version of 31 jo kata down.
    Still stuttering and pausing a couple of times so it's not flowing but the basic structure is there.
    Some transitions seem to feel better than others so they have 'stuck' easier. I really like move 10 into 11 and 30 into 31 but move 27 into 28 feels odd.