101 reasons mma sucks

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Cosmo Kramer, Sep 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloud9

    Cloud9 Valued Member

    Sometimes it's hard to tell specially given the communications medium.
    My argument is simple, neither TMA or MMA adequately prepare people for serious street fights. Just take it for what it is, a good workout, and the possibility of a 1x1 fistfight in a semi controlled environment ie. some college kid picks a fight on campus, etc.

    It's not practical to train every now and then (perhaps once a month minimum) with your street clothes on? To allow hair pulling in training? Or permit groin attacks? I wear a groin protector and have no objections to any such attacks, and most folks cut their hair so short you couldn't pull it anyway. I don't think those and other training methods are too much of an inconvenience when training for self defense.

    Nothing wrong with training in MMA or TMA for that matter, I train in both 2 days a week each, and 1 day a week on my own with an occassional partner.

    What I've been saying is that
    1. Just mixing up a few styles and calling it MMA isn't necessarily effective regardless of environment.
    2. Neither adequately prepares for street fighting anymore than military training adequately prepares one for real combat.

    All it does is boost confidence and provide some basics, there's no substitute for real life experience.
    There is a Rickson Gracie affiliate school 30mins away. Visited a few times. 80% of their training is on the ground, the other 20% is training to take the opponent to the ground.

    They don't say you may find yourself on the ground, they say you will. That 95% of fighting is on the ground.

    Bull. I've fought plenty of times on the streets with an eye towards not going to the ground because I've seen what happens to those that do. Does that mean that at no point in my life have I ever trained in ground fighting? No. Simply recognition of the danger involved in finding oneself on the ground in a street fight.

    Am I advocating not learning ground fighting techniques? Absolutely not, but if all you have to fall back on in the types of street fights that I've experienced in NYC is BJJ training, then get ready to die. I can't put it any more bluntly.
  2. Cloud9

    Cloud9 Valued Member

    There seems to be some folks implying or alluding to saying that MMA adequately prepares one for street fights. All I'm saying is that's not the case. There's no substitute for real life experience. Best to avoid the situation to begin with, but there are many who think that just because they've been doing TMA/MMA for x number of years that they're adequately prepared to defend themselves in a street fight.
  3. Cloud9

    Cloud9 Valued Member

    ROFL... what are you a whopping 26yrs old? Please... don't confuse a 10yr break from - formal - martial arts training for doing nothing.

    Even if I haven't trained in 10yrs, in my lifetime I've still trained a heck of a lot more than you have.... ;)

    Besides, I'm not 26 anymore, and don't live in a dangerous area or NYC anymore, plus I'm a gun owner (different kind of training).

    At this point in my life I'm more likely to die of a heart attack than any streetfight.

    5 days of training a week is fine for me given my circumstances, but thanks for the advice youngster. :rolleyes:
  4. Granto

    Granto Banned Banned

    I think the best reason MMA sucks is because it makes TMAists post whingey rants about how compliant drills are better than alive training.
  5. MaverickZ

    MaverickZ Guest

    my parents taught me to be nice to old people. you can win this one.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  6. MaverickZ

    MaverickZ Guest

    So at the end of the day, your arguement is that martial arts don't work so why bother training?

    Why are you on this website again?

    This might be more your thing: http://www.1911forum.com/
  7. tekkengod

    tekkengod the MAP MP

    yeah it means that you hate people of your own race, including yourself! :eek:
  8. Gajah Silat

    Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

    And I always thought you were a mere misanthropist ;)
  9. Sgt_Major

    Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

    You asked for it ...


    As is this thread.

    At least the puppy will RIP.

    As KC's little helper bot with a serious god complex I have been loosed of my leash to run rampant amongst you all.... run in fear ye inferior members, for I am running, and I am rampant ;)

    Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page