101 reasons mma sucks

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Cosmo Kramer, Sep 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Sorry.. I don't train knife vs empty hand or knife vs knife with a writing utensil.. We use dull aluminum trainers at my school and I'm trying to get them implemented in my kung fu school for the weight and feel of them.. I frequently get into arguments with my kung fu brothers on where to attack on takedowns to the ground.. They say slash the back of the neck.. I say slice underneath the armpit or stab the kidneys.

When you're stuck in the moment and focusing on keeping the blade off your skin.. you don't feel that pen marker.. however you will feel cold metal flick across your skin. I'd really like to see what passes for multiple armed assailant training at your JKD school.

2. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

Before this gets lost to the tides of time:

where do you train bjj and for how long?

3. mojo shorin-ryu

mojo shorin-ryu Valued Member

it is illegal to hit a person when they are on the ground more than once in the states, and that one hit has to be immediately after the person is on the ground to function as a " stunning hit " so you can say to the police " after he hit the ground i hit him once to stun him so i could escape." So "ground and pound" will actually reverse the situations and make legally you become the attacker.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  4. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

Got English?

5. Beltless

Beltless Banned Banned

The thing is, once you feel that cold metal run anywhere across your body I'm afraid it's probably too late. Granted contact against non-vital areas of your body can be brushed off and the defence can still go on.

Both the pen and the dull knife are not as deadly as the real thing. I think it's a weak argument to suggest that your training is heightened because you use an object that looks more like a real knife. The fact is, unless you are using an actual knife, there's no significant difference between our training tools. Short of weight and feel. But then again, all knives come in different shapes and sizes on the street.

That said, I still mostly train with the wooden knife, the pen marker exercise just helps put the reality of how easy it is for that blade to cut you into perspective. Especially when you have 6 guys with these things coming at you for 3 minute rounds (yes we do this). Tip: wear old clothes ;) . Got a load of ink on you? Rethink how you are doings things and train harder, that's the idea basically. But again, the rubber and wooden knives we use mostly.

6. Beltless

Beltless Banned Banned

Most martial arts schools and people use this as an excuse to not even bother learning, let alone practising knife defence. Short of "Just run and cross your fingers".

7. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

Beltless, you need to stop posting. You practice patty cake and have no ground to stand on.

8. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

agreed. he has no concept of what practicality is.

edit: and beltless...you never answered my question. I'll repost it. How are you? It's been a while since we've heard from you Neb.

9. ProtectUrNeck

ProtectUrNeck New Member

Cloud9

As Maverick asked, where do you train bjj and for how long?

10. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

Really? I'm pretty much quoting right out of the Tao of Jeet Kune Do. Perhaps I have to provide the page numbers next time. :rolleyes:

How many of your friends have died in streetfights? How many streetfights have you been in?

I suspect that the vehement opposition to acknowledging the differences rests in folks that would like to believe that their MMA training appropriately prepares them for such encounters. ;)

11. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

And therein lies the difference... Yes, if you're training for the safety of the ring, there's little need for more than some boxing, MT, and BJJ.

That's the success of BJJ -in the ring- and perhaps in some select 1x1 situations.

I've never been involved or seen a street fight where at least one other person besides the 2 combatants didn't become involved in some way. Sometimes it's just to throw a punch, other times to hand their pal a weapon, or become full out involved if it looks like their pal is losing.

The outright refusal to recognize the differences between bouts in a ring with rules, and fights in the streets without them speaks volumes about the degree of street fighting experience among the MMAers on this forum.

12. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

False accusation. Never stated any such thing. Is English your first language?

13. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

What are you trying to say here, that nowadays they're being trained not to elbow the back of the head, knee the enemy while down, no groin attacks, eye gouging, etc. ? LOL The enemy will love it! :love:

14. Wolf

It is you who refuses to recognize the fact that we do indeed know the difference between a ring and a streetfight. It is you who has so far refused to answer my question as to what constitutes training for self-defense. If grab-my-wrist static training is your answer then it's YOU who refuses to recoginize the difference between learning a technique and learning to apply it in a self defense situation. Please, for the love of god, answer my question. WHAT DO YOU THINK SELF-DEFENSE TRAINING MEANS?

15. Sever

Sever Valued Member

As opposed to your outright refusal to do anything other than argue against strawmen rather than discuss the actual issues posed

Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  16. Beltless

Beltless Banned Banned

I think you're making valid points, don't then go and insult these guys because you give them reason to continue getting ****y and defensive about it. I'm obviously a complete fool who has given nothing of value to the debate at hand. Even when I make the most obvious observations, which I've had to resort to as everyone's called me on my, apparently, complete misunderstanding of JKD, it's called bs. I suppose they know more from their time watching clips and reading about it, out of my league as always. Too bad for little ol' neb... Oops ;)

17. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

That is interesting isn't it. Now lets give it a tiny bit of thought.

Basic + Infantry training is what? 3 months? Marine training 3 months?

Now, go to a BJJ school is ask, how proficient a BJJ practitioner will I be with just 3 months of training?

Mind you that no military branch spends all day doing BJJ. It's just a few hours max each day.

So which is it? One can become highly proficient in BJJ in 3 months on a couple of hours a day, or one needs to practice for longer time?

When I joined the military I already went in with a MA background, so hand-to-hand combat wasn't any great challenge, and pugil stick (bayonet) training wasn't anything new either.

And here is a good comparison. In the infantry we used to have pugil stick competitions. 1 man from each platoon (4 in total) would enter an outdoors "ring" (no ropes just a circular marking) - each man for himself.

I never lost any such matches in my time with the military - even when the other platoons colluded to try to eliminate me. However, on the streets of NY when I faced a 3 on 1 (all 4 armed) got my ass whooped.

Once again, the differences between opponents trying to win 'matches' with drill sergeants blowing whistles upon man down, or such other 'dangerous' situations. You think anybody gave a flying eff about stopping an assault on the streets?

It boggles my mind at the obstinance of those on this forum in acknowledging that street fighting is much more dangerous because there are no rules than rule based matches!

18. Wolf

Hey Beltless/neb...

[​IMG]

19. Wolf

So what you're saying is learning to battle a guy with a big foam stick doesn't train you to fight in the streets.

PREPOSTEROUS!!!

20. Wolf

Oh, and you still haven't answer my question...WHAT DO YOU THINK IS SELF-DEFENSE TRAINING?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.