101 reasons mma sucks

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Cosmo Kramer, Sep 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

"Grab my wirist"
    "no the other one"
    *sigh"MY other wrist with YOUR other hand"
    :D :D :D :D

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I presumed that he meant situations other than a fight starting with two guys standing six feet apart with a referee in the middle making sure they're both ready to go.

3. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

I dont like it, but I have to read it....

Be nice. Your opinion is not the all inspiring, rod ruling one of the site. ;)

Sarge

4. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Finally, a post that makes sense ;)

5. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Of course live sparring is beneficial, I agree :confused:

However, I do not believe MMA style sparring is the only way of building reflexes, timing etc. That would be like saying, footballers should only train by playing actual matches....when of course we all know the majority of training happens outside the match.

Lets just say, 'a percentage of MMA' seems to have become concocted for purely sports/entertainment purposes. Note: I am not saying all MMA!

So, this is why it often provokes such a negative response from other MMAists. One one hand it is presented as a sport or an entertainment, on the other there are the outrageous ultimate street fighting claims. Unfortunately, these negative aspects have come overshadow everything else and yes, UFC has greatly influenced this. :eek:

Strange that 20 odd years ago, when people from differing styles got together to contrast & share techniques it was refered to as multi-style or cross training. :eek:

I have no issues whatsoever with MMA on a technical level, it's just the egos it seems to attract, and the tantrums that even the slightest discussion or criticism seem to provoke.

6. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Wait a sec... so you mean to tell me that you pull hair, grab nuts, poke eyes, bite faces, kick yuour classmates in the head while they're down, or stab at each other with bottles and knives in class, cosmo?

Do us all a favour, drop the stawman arguments, stop making it out like all TMA schools have something MMA gyms don't, and enough with the fake dichotomies. Otherwise, I'm going to start with the TMA bitchslap fest. I'm on TMA #6, I think I have a pretty good idea of why you all suck, too after seeing the good, the bad, and the really bad that TMA has to offer.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  7. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

You've got a serious god complex. You might wanna take care of that.

8. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

Then please explain what you mean. I have a pretty good idea of what you're thinking, but I want you to say it. I have a TMA background myself, so it's not like I'm from the outside looking in. I'm also not saying my TMA training was useless. I think a lot of what I learned in Kuk Sool is very applicable. It's a matter of how you train it in class. If your training is all "grab my wrist" static then you're never going to be able to apply it in real life. I had to take what I learned that way, then on my own have my training partner start to literally attack me and try to take me down/hit me/whatever while I tried to defend myself with whatever technique came to mind. If you do something like that, more power to you. If not than all the "self defense" training in the world will be worthless. That kind of training DOES NOT teach improvisation, which is probably the most necessary skill in self defense.

9. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Which, again, is a strawman, because no one is saying that.

Some techniques and strategies are made for the ring, but they are not the great majority that some anti-MMAers would proclaim them to be.

The ultimate street fighting claims tend to come from those who won't step into the ring to put their reputations on the line. Thus, their claims of badassness are completely annecdotal.

I have the same feeling about RBSDers.

10. MadMonk108

My concolences to you. No one should be forced to sit through this.

Which opinion is that?

My opinion on training methodology?

Or my opinion that if someone (other than a poor unfortunate MOD) doesn't like what he's reading in a thread...then he doesn't have to read it?

11. MadMonk108

All is fair in love and war.

This list started out as a joke, and I can find that funny and acceptable.

It quickly turned into veiled (and not so veiled) critiques by the ignorant (those who would rather attack strawmen than reality) of what they thought MMA is and isn't.

I see no reason why a counter-TMA thread can't exist.

12. Gajah Silat

Go on....start a 101 reasons why TMA sucks thread :D

We can see who can't take a joke & who gets oh so easily offended amongst the TMAers...... :eek:

What the hell, start a 101 reasons all MA sucks thread. Then all the overly sensitive types with fragile egos can get really angry & p...ed off together.

13. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

14. Gajah Silat

Can't we just have a 101 reasons MaverickZ sucks thread insted then??? :p :D :D

15. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

MMA is closest to actual combat?
    id rather kick a guy in the nuts than attempt to ground and pound him any day in the street...

16. MadMonk108

That could be fun.

17. MadMonk108

Mav has put his reputation on the line on numerous occasions, and has backed up his claims in matches, as opposed to some keyboard warriors.

18. MadMonk108

:eek: :rolleyes: :bang: :cry:

That's great, and you know what? So would I.

But guess what?

You can't depend on that nut kick, and you can't depend on your eye gouge, and you can't depend on him not taking you down.

Learn the skills you can drill. Learn the skills you can spar with. Develop a solid, well-trained base in these skills. Learn to fight on the ground, because you might end up there. Learn to fight on your feet, cuz you might stay there.

Everything else, crotch grabbing, eye gouging...can easily be added onto an already developed base.

Why do people continue to attack strawmen than actually dealing with the argument?

19. Gajah Silat

Note :p :D :D indicate humour.

And wasn't Strawman the one in the Wizard of Oz who was looking for a brain :confused: Of course he did represent Americas poorly educated peasantry, but I still don't get what he has to do with MMA :confused:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  20. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

So does your JKD prepare you to do with armed attackers? Multiple Armed Attackers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.