10 BJJ Moves Every Cop Should Know

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Stevebjj, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

http://www.defendu.com/10_bjj.htm

Interesting article. It highlights some of the points that have been made in other threads about the effectiveness of BJJ in RBSD situations.

"He attributes a 24 percent decrease in the use of force reported in all arrests to that increased officer confidence."

Not bad. I don't know exactly where he gets this figure from, but anything that keeps people from being beaten unnecessarily seems win/win to me. It will at the very least save the tax payers from having to defend as many cops in brutality suits.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear your collective thoughts on the subject.

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Nice article.

I like how it only emphasized the grappling aspects of the program to keep it brief and high level enough for the general public.

Purposely left vague was the use of striking in combat (which we all know is quite frequently used, intentionally or unintentially). Also left out was the tactics of staying off the ground, particularly against multiple enemies and the consideration for collatoral damage. I'm glad I did not find this stuff in the article because those are the sorts of things best learned in training and from experience, not from an article.

3. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

The point of the article was that this was in addition to what is presumably a well rounded program. The article is promoting BJJ in addition to, not in place of, any existing training an officer is receiving.

I'm not sure from your post whether you're being serious or tongue in cheek.

4. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Cool, it's simple and gives the LEO a really clear idea what to do at any given time, does seem to be missing out on escapes from under mount and side control though, given how wrong the back takedonw they show can go I'd think that was a major flaw.

5. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I was being serious. People take things out of context very easily... they see an article about BJJ training in law enforcement and then they make some assumption that it is the same as going to BJJ class.

Training in BJJ for law enforcement is specific to the needs of the LEO, it does not change the intent of the job or the combat principles used in real world, nor does it replace common sense.

I liked the article, mainly because it wasn't a sales pitch.

6. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

If escapes were easy, they wouldn't be called "escapes" ;)

There was some good principles discussed in the article rather than a lot of details.

7. RunningDog

RunningDog Valued Member

I can't be bothered to read the article. But the copper who goes to our BJJ class has used kimura and general positioning ability when subduing suspects. He's not too into armbars as an arrest method, for fairly obvious reasons.

8. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

There are several cops in my school too.

9. RandomTriangle

RandomTriangle Valued Member

i really like the article.

I was afraid he was going to list actual moves. While he does list a few, there are more positions than techniques listed.

Learning to maintain a dominant position, or transition to a dominant position from a submissive position is paramount. Sure you could be thinking "But those are 'moves'" yet i'm referring to the tactile sensitivity, balance, coordination... getting to a point where you don't think about individual moves.

I mean let’s be honest, when it comes to escaping mount, all variations of side control, half guard, knee on belly... even north-south... ALL i use is bucking and shrimping. BUT it's the timing i've developed from going over the combination of bucking and shrimping 100 million times... with people who out weigh me by up to 100 pounds... from purple to black belts... that allows me to get out of any submissive position.

Hell, when it comes to submitting people i only use 2 or 3 attacks. i'm just really good at those attacks. i've tried them sooo many times that i'm pretty good at timing them one after each other, after each other, and after each other that your stuck in a cycle.