1-5 dahn techniques?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by snyderkv, Sep 20, 2010.

1. elliotmurphy

elliotmurphy Valued Member

I have a question for you Bruce, you have mentioned before about hapkido sets for weapons being extensions of or taught in conjunction w open hand sets, do you find that your art is well organized as it progresses through the dahn ranks,

2. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

I'm not picking on you Unk, but the opportunity presented itself here..

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink"

Please accept your own responsibility in what is a two sided argument. I'd prefer if we could all get along, or at least when we differ in opinion say so in a respectful manner and move on.

3. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

jeez peeps... this thread is supposed to be about stuff like kibonbon...

kibonbon is a great black belt set because introduces some pretty cool compund locks. my question is: if this set is taught at blackbelt, why are more advanced concepts lile yangsonmoksu and dwieueboksu taught prior?

4. elliotmurphy

Do u think that dee eu bak soo is more advanced than ki bon bon, cuz I would think that dee eu bak so deal w a different concept entirely ssangall

5. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

I have never tried to ditch responsibility for standing my ground when badgered by the RedQueen. :evil:

FWIW, I tried several times to *bury the hatchet* but she would have none of it. It was only after I realized how hopeless it was to think that reconciliation could ever come about, that I decided to stop being cordial whenever she launched one of her tirades. She claims to ignore me but if that were true, we wouldn't be discussing this crap NOW, would we? :rolleyes:

I wasn't the only one banned for comparing her to a female dog, so it's not like I'm alone in this transgression, and the fact that I wasn't alone in committing such a travesty, was the point I was trying to make, just in case you missed it. :Alien:

Just for the record, I have not questioned anyone's accolades or credentials as represented here on MAP. I did say I was "unimpressed" however in regard to the RedQueen, but that doesn't mean I believe I was lied to, or that said credentials are worthless, so don't put words into my mouth.

I've explained my choice for a screen name before, and rather that go searching for that post, allow me to bore you (and anyone else reading this) with the details once again. When I joined MAP, the Kuk Sool section was mostly inhabited by colored belts, and a few 1st & 2nd dan black belts - and my then favorite, evil twin, who was a 3rd dan at the time. There was also masterdunchok, silent monk, mad monk, musul-master, KSW_KJN, and "unknown entity" who used a picture of Marlin Sims in a horse stance for his avatar (but he wasn't MI Sims, FWIW). It was apparent by reading the posts of these MAPers I listed, that they were seasoned MAists and even if not including "master" or "KJN" or "monk" in their screen name, discerning their rank was a piece of cake as a result. I decided that if I contributed honest input, I too, could be assessed as being of elevated rank, so including the letters "KJN" in my screen name was more about transparency than trying to shut someone's opinion down because they had practiced MA for less time than myself - that's just not my style. The "unknown" part was because posting on MAP has always been frowned on by the *powers that be* (BTW, I recently received confirmation that there is an *edict* not to post here if a WKSA black belt in good standing — which means it may be time to rethink whether you should list your BB-ID# in your sig-file).

Nope, just stating facts and telling it like it is.
    If this is true, please share who all these folks are, so I can congratulate them for being so convincing in making me think I was liked. :evil:
    Still holding a grudge, eh? I think it's been over a year since I last sent you a PM. Please do us all a favor and just get over it! :yeleyes:
    There is no supposition about it, dearie, as you would've been banned had I flipped on you for calling me a pedophile (with no provocation on my part, mind you), but Moosey, who was the moderator on the scene, dropped the ball when meting out appropriate punishment. BION, I have been issued a formal apology from the mod team, which came after I complied to change my initial satirical sig-file. So yes, I was fully aware that the first sig I wrote after my last ban, was against ToS, but I wasn't "attacking" the mods, but merely pointing out the truth, ugly as it may be to some (BTW, it was the "obvious" vulgarity they really objected to, but I was pointing out the inconsistency in that as well, which resulted in them jumping on another MAPer for also using a disguised vulgarity in their sig). I'm sure you're familiar with the genre of satire, but unfortunately to do this form of writing any justice, a certain amount of eloquence (which can be quite wordy) is usually required. The MAP limitation on the length of sig-files just doesn't allow the necessary space to write a decent satire, so it forced my hand to be more blunt than I would've liked. FWIW

6. unknown-KJN

Apparently not. :rolleyes:

IMO, the sets which you assert are more *advanced* than KBB, are included prior to blackbelt level so practitioners get a well-rounded exposure to the various ways they may be grabbed, and therefore how to deal with it. Ki Bon Bon OTOH, is reserved for dan grades simply because it, along with the other 2 methodology sets (gak do beop & jeon hwan beop), are crucial in illustrating important concepts which black belts should draw on, when teaching the less advanced material on the curriculum to the guppies. I thought you knew this already, SsangKall, and even discussed it on a different thread... unless I have you confused with someone else? :thinking:

7. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Yes, Elliot....if you are speaking of how it is intended to be presented then I would say "yes". But if you are talking about how the material is actually followed then I would say "no". This is why I never really came to a place where I was completely accepting of the World Hapkido Federation (WHF) way of doing things, which is not the same as the YON MU KWAN (YMK) way of doing things.

The WHF is the more commercial of the two entities and the level of accountability was much poorer. I would almost go so far as to say that the WHF was the side of the house that sold the belts. On the YMK side of the house people were expected to earn things. Guess, which side was more popular?

I've held to the manner in which I was taught to follow my Path and have, occassionally entertained the idea of connecting with another Hapkido group now and again. I just have not found one that has the qualities that I enjoyed under my teacher and at this late date I don't feel like settling for less. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

8. elliotmurphy

Thanks Bruce, I know a good teacher makes all the difference in the world at times. Have a good day

9. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

you are correct sir. i cheated and had to find a way to put this on a technique topic...just wasnt crafty enough to think about something at that moment. it is things like post 346 that keep me thinking our stuff is semi genius(and keeps me coming back to map twice a day), but i have to admit, learning pyeong su at instructor-master level makes little sense to me. what is up with that. from my understanding it is about 5 ways to palm a person with each hand, where, and method. kindof like maek chigi or chagi, except without an x-block. if i were to guess why it would be to prep for ironpalm???

10. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

A problem with concerning yourself with just how many different ways you can use your palm/hand/fist to strike with is that, whilst you are considering it, your opponent is simply punching you in the face!

11. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

In Teaching we have a saying that "Education is little more than reminding people of what they already know." In the case of the Palm strikes I think people have a sense that they can shove in various ways using one or both hands. My guess is that training a person to regularly reaffirm this view to themselves makes it easier to use the body in this fashion with less time to consider. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

12. unknown-KJN

It might interest you to know, SsangKall, that I didn't learn maek chigi/chagi with an X-block, but rather a double-pat block which helps to better measure your distance for the counter attack (DBL-pat block for M-chigi, grabbing block for M-chagi). And don't mind the nay-sayers (meaning Pugil) as he knows full well that you wouldn't stop to consider all the ramifications in the midst of a fight, and that you were referring to analyzing the movements for training purposes. :rolleyes:

More or less on the mark, SsangKall, except that this set is officially taught at the 3rd dan level in the system I learned (however I started Iron Palm training at chodan, FWIW). But even if you discount the conditioning needed to alter the internal structure of your hand, there is still the aspect of which targets to strike, proper weight/power transference when connecting with the blow, and other factors which are extremely subtle and require a firm grasp of the mechanics involved when hitting someone with the intent to *mess 'em up*. :evil:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011