nottingham - mitch?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by tomass911, Apr 7, 2008.

1. tomass911

tomass911 Valued Member

hi guys im looking at uni's at the moment for the year after next and nottingham trent is one of them. I know they have a taekwondo club there but dont have much information about it and was wondering if anyone did, or if it would be better to go to mitch's club?

anyone?

tom

2. Errrm

Errrm Valued Member

You'll be at university and away from home for the first time regardless of the quality of the club go along to the university one regulary so as to meet new people who have similar interests. You don't need to go every lesson or even every week but it will introduce you to people you might otherwise not have met, you can always go to the other club as well if you want a better club.

Errrm

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Hi Tom,
    You can download the Uni's sports brochure from here.

According to that the Uni have a TKD club taught by Tony Sewell. He's a former TAGB dude with an awesome history in TKD competition. Not TAGB any more unfortunately but at least he's using the same pattern set.

There is also Muay Thai and JuJitsu at the uni.

You can train TAGB TKD in the centre of Nottingham itself under Ralph Minott, which is where I train. He's 6th Dan, reprsented the UK at WTF in the Olympics, now one of the TAGB's senior guys. You wont get a better Instructor if your interest is in competetive sparring and you wont meet a nicer or more friendly guy. He also runs the TAGB's squad training sessions which are in Nottingham.

I teach a few miles outside Nottingham so you'd need transport or a half hour bus journey to train there, but of course you'd be more than welcome:)

Cheers,
    Mitch

4. tomass911

tomass911 Valued Member

thankyou for the info mitch :D

5. 24ahughes

24ahughes Valued Member

Nottingham Trent Uni

Hi you got a place at nottingham trent? iv got an offer for product design and im making it first choice what course you gunna be on? also are you def plannin on joining the taekwondo club when you get there?

6. tomass911

tomass911 Valued Member

ill be going in 2009 if i go, and yes taekwondo ill definately join.

7. Rob T.

Rob T. Valued Member

Hello Tom,

I can't say what Tony Sewell is like as an instructor, I've never trained under him. As Mitch says he was one of the best sparrers of all time - but that doesn't always relate to their teaching. I do know that he's in the GTI which has joined (one of) the ITF(s) and so I imagine will be doing the Sine waving.

I can confirm that Ralph Minott is one of the very best instructors I've trained under (in any of my styles)- the guy is just so inspiring.

If you're interested Mitch and I are going to start putting on regular (probably monthly to start with) training sessions that focus on self-defence, heavy/full contact, throws / takedowns, clinching, and ground work. The parts of the art that are sadly ignored by many. They should be in full swing by the time you're a local.

In fact we're meant to be meeting in a pub on Friday to start hammering out the syllabus (that's if he's allowed out after spending rather a lot of money on a motorbike! :D)

Rob

8. 24ahughes

24ahughes Valued Member

Sounds a pretty good club im planning on joining as soon as i get there in october

9. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

I would seriously advise against joining Mitch'e club.. as if you do, you are some real danger of learning some decent TKD and fighting skills :eek:

10. Mitch

For Pete's sake don't mention the bike, Mrs Mitch has only just calmed down......:eek:

Stuart's very kind and Rob and I are part way into the process, but we're both keen and I think it's an idea we can really develop.

At the very least we get to meet in the pub to discus things:)

Mitch

11. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

Im with the GTI and have graded under Mr.Sewell. I think his students speak for him on the teaching side. There sparring is always a pleasure to watch the control and skill level on of his green belts had was way above his belt level. Also no sine waving happens.

12. Rob T.

Rob T. Valued Member

Hi James,

I’m not surprised that Tony Sewell’s students spar so well, if you’ve not seen him fight in his prime it’s well worth hunting out some vids – he was always a pleasure to watch himself. How was their patterns and set sparring?

Now you’ve confused me (not a difficult task:)) – I am right that the GTI have joined ITF-C aren’t I? If so then I would think you have to take on the Sine Waving, otherwise at big comps, dan gradings, seminars, etc, you’re going to be doing every technique quite differently (although a damn site more effectively IMHO :D). I know a few instructors who left the ITF(s) because they prefer the hip-twist to the bobbing up and down, my understanding was that you must do it – simple as that.

How long have you been part of the ITF? Maybe it’s going to filter down over time, that’s all I can think of.

Blimey – choose an instructor:
    1) Legendary TAGB fighter (Tony Sewell 6th Dan)
    2) Legendary TAGB fighter and Olympic Competitor (Ralph Minott 6th Dan)

I suppose the obvious answer is keep up your TAGB training with Ralph and go to the Uni club as well (as long as there’s no objections from the Instructors). After 3 years of that you could well be one awesome fighter!

Rob

13. 24ahughes

24ahughes Valued Member

Im really looking forwads to joining now iv heard all this good stuff about the club does anyone know what the classes are like there (Relaxed/Formal) and also what are the patterns are like, at kim chung do we do a different set to everyone else.

14. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

Carlos bites his lip :D ;)

I train with PUMA - when we first moved to PUMA from TAGB, we did the sinewave and nothing else. Now, we do the sinewave (but it doesn't seem as pronounced as back then) and we have some hip rotation.

At the moment, I can't remember which ITF we're with - I get hit in the head a lot :D

15. Rob T.

Rob T. Valued Member

As I said it's my opinion.

So you now do a smaller movement more akin to knee spring and use hip rotation - hmmmm that sounds very familiar, I don't want to use the phase "U-turn" but.............:D ;)

Rob

16. tomass911

tomass911 Valued Member

is it just me, haven't been taught in sine wave (thankfully ^^) but when you bob down on a walking stance single punch for example you come forward on the stance a lot more and with less power than the hip twist.
    is that common or do you guys just work around and counter it?

17. tkdally

tkdally Values sillyness in life

Can....worms......

18. Sackett

Sackett Valued Member

Me, me, me!! I'm interested!! :love: (Does that come as a surprise, I wonder..?) :Angel:

19. Mitch

You're expected as the first and probably most aggressive accomplice Molly:)

Mitch

20. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

But the movements are nowhere near as pronounced as my old TAGB or my early ITF days. As long as the movement carries some plyometric action.

I think there are the key elements of both movements and I welcome progression - otherwise we'd all be sending carrier pigeons to each other :rolleyes:

I'm not saying that one is more right than the other. I'm quite comfortable on my fence!

:Angel: