Any Vegetarian or Vegan Martial Artists on here?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by mkultra, Jan 6, 2011.

1. mkultra

mkultra Valued Member

Has a thread like this been made before?

Been a proud Vegetarian for about 3 years and was a Vegan for about 5 months.

Just wandering, if this thread has to be deleted for any reason about the site rules then whatever.

I find tofu is better than meat, and better for you.

This guy seems to be doing all right for himself:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Danzig

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

There will now be 52 pages of generally nonsense arguments :D

I'm a lapsed veggie in that I now eat fish, though I was a proper veggie for some 8 years or so before that.

mitch

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  3. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

There are no rules against creating threads like this, go for it. :) For those who choose a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle and are finding it hard going, mutual support can be a valuable thing.

Personally, I used to be a veggie for about 20 years. These days my philosophy has changed and I'm almost the opposite of a vegetarian. I still relate to and respect anyone who chooses to be so for ethical reasons, however, although I no longer share those beliefs myself.

As Mitch has alluded to, these threads can sometimes degenerate as many people have quite polarised beliefs on this topic. You'll probably get a fair bit of disagreement with opinions like "tofu is better than meat and better for you", but MAP has a policy of keeping things civil so as to promote sensible debate rather than slagging.

The only time we ever had a really heated thread on it was when a couple of nutbag vegans were attempting to convince the rest of the forum that anyone who ate meat was a nazi (I kid you not!) Fortunately, most of us recognise that these kinds of extremists don't represent the vegetarian/vegan community any more than the Westboro Baptist Church represents average Christians.

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Yep, I'm a veggie. Not a vegan, but your straight up no-meat kind of vegetarian.

I've no idea whether it makes any difference to MA training or not as I've been a veggie for most of the time I've done karate. Maybe I'd be super-awesome if I ate meat, who knows? No plans on finding out though since I'm pretty happy as I am.

As for your second point, I think tofu is disgusting. It was ok to eat in Japan where veggie food is vary scarce, but given the choice, I'd go for Quorn every time!

5. Kuto

Kuto Vacuumed Member

Why did you start to eat fish again? You probably know that you don't have the great honour of calling yourself vegetarian any more know, don't you?
    xD

I'm vegetarian for about ... dunno, 7 or 8 years, and I regularly think about becoming vegan, but I know decided to feel alright with drinking milk from happy cows, eating eggs from very happy chicken und eating cheese with synthetical rennet only.
    And btw I think eating honey is alright cause you can't compare a bee hive to one of this insane cow-producing slautherhouse-plants-whatever.
    Sick stuff, this meat industry...

6. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I'm probably more guilty than most of going overboard on attacking the logic behind vegetarian and especially vegan reasons for their diet choice. These days I tend to question rather than attack,though that's now reserved for people telling me why I shouldn't eat as I do (this month I'm an ovo-bovine carnivore). I have tried vegetarian, vegan and fructarian diets in the past though that was part of a learning curve.

7. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Vegan, though with no desire whatsoever for tofu. Just give me the fresh fruits and vegetables, please.

paz,

dormindo

8. Mitch

A number of reasons really. One is that I have two kids who are veggie but attend school/nursery so I don't have as much control over their diet as I would like to ensure they get enough protein. As a result it was easier to say they could have fish which is served at least once a week. That goes for when we're out and about or abroad too.

Another is the health benefits supposedly associated with oily fish. I know the jury is still out on some of the claims but I think the evidence still points that way.

Finally I was training for my third dan 18 months ago and was putting in a lot of hard hours. I found myself feeling a bit feint at times, which might have been from another cause but I decided to increase my protein intake and the easiest way to do it was to start eating fish. It seemed to help. I could have achieved the same thing with more careful diet planning, but I simply didn't have time.

I think all vegetarianism is compromised at some point, it's a fact of modern life that you have an impact on animals; for me then it's largely about where along a continuum you're happy to make that compromise.

Mitch

9. Kuto

Kuto Vacuumed Member

True. I guess I wouldn't really have a problem with eating meat if I went into the woods, catch some deer, strangle it with my bare hands and then roast it on an open fire. =D
    But I don't go hunting, I really have a problem with this perverted industry and, and that's my main point, mankind has devoled to a point where it's no longer necessary to consume meat.
    I don't doubt the positive effects eating meat had for our development, but we're far beyond that. I wouldn't tell anybody not to eat meat or fish ( well maybe I would if somebody wanted to eat some endangered white rhino just for the taste...) but I feel fine with my diet and can't imagine to change it.

Alright, work is over, time to go home and eat some grass with flowery sauce and maybe some crunchy twigs ... yummy ... =P

10. Power_plant

Power_plant Valued Member

Yeah vegetarian 2 years in may '11, very happy with my diet get everything I need from it. Never looked back, the change was quite easy I thought.

11. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

I'm veggie, have been for 20 years or so. Not for any complicated or particularly moralistic reasons, i just like animals, so i don't want to eat them and nobody can make me! I eat a lot of Indian (homemade) and love cooking generally (my mrs likes cake!).
    I don't half miss sausage though (still).
    Hmmm bratwurst.

12. Kuto

Kuto Vacuumed Member

xD

alright, I guess there's no hidden meaning implied.
    Mine by the way doesn't, but she loves to bake. I sometimes wonder why I don't weight 100 kilos.

What I am currently thinking about is whether and how we should raise our daughter vegetarially. Could become an issue when she's old enough to figure out that other children are allowed to eat stuff she isn't, but too young to understand, why.

13. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I'm a vegetarian.

14. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

speaking as a man raised on 'Carry On' films, Benny Hill and Monty Python, i like to think that i'm pretty good at spotting a double entendre, but if there's one here, it eludes me.
    Dare i ask you to explain?

15. rivend

rivend Valued Member

I am not a big meat eater but meat does seem to boost my energy when I am very tired and I don't know what vegetable to eat that would give me the same lift.

16. The Wiseman

The Wiseman Valued Member

I will someday be a veggie that eats fish so I can be just like my hero, TKDMitch :D

17. Mitch

It's good to have low standards for your heroes, they're less disappointing that way. :D

Mitch

18. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

I used to eat whatever, in fact I believe I participated in some very old threads on here like this one and argued why there's nothing wrong with eating meat!

Little did I know I had pretty poor arguments. I've only eaten seafood as far as meat goes for a couple years now. I eat fish, shrimp, etc. because they cannot experience suffering, but I don't eat anything that can suffer.

Tofu is pretty terrible, even though I don't eat it I can acknowledge that meat is definitely a lot tastier and healthier.

I'm with Moosey, Quorn for the win!

19. Emil

Emil Valued Member

I was a vegetarian for years, but a couple of years back started eating meat again. i was at one point semi-vegan in that I would only eat free range animal products i.e. cheese and milk, and now that i meat, i still stick to this, only I eat free range meat.

20. Mitch

Could you enlarge upon the point of fish not experiencing suffering please Socrastein? I've heard this argument before but I'm unsure of the scientific basis for it.

I can understand shellfish etc not experiencing pain as they are essentially very primitive creatures (although do they not have some eperience of it as they presumably recoil from damaging stimuli?), but is it the same with fish?

Cheers,
    Mitch