Jeet Kune Do Brisbane Australia

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by JakeTongLong, Jan 5, 2011.

1. JakeTongLong

JakeTongLong Valued Member

Hey guys

i realise this may have been asked before but i am seeking an authentic jeet kune do school in Brisbane Australia, i have done a search on here and on google. there is a progressive martial arts school up the road from me that claims to teach jeet kune do technique but on further reseach it is more MMA based training.

i have studied tong long for a while now and i have found it amazing but i also see some flaws in its application. it is a very deadly art but also has some flaws. so i thought i would give jeet kune do a try and see if i like it also. bruce lee is a hero of mine and i would be very interested in trying his style of fighting if thats what u can call it.

anyway if there is any schools around brisbane please drop me a reply and i will check them out. distance doesnt really bother me as i will travel where ever and at what ever time.

thanks guys

Jake

2. JakeTongLong

no one huh ?

man it is hard finding one.

3. heretolearn

heretolearn New Member

jeet kune do

Hey Jake there is a Jeet Kune do school in Wakerley, www.progressivemartialarts.com.au

I been told its good but havent checked it out yet.

Maybe you can help me out im thinking of taking up Tong long Or Wing Chun/JKD i went to two different tong long schools in Brisbane for a trial, its seems very effective and i have never seen so much power. But both Tong Long schools told me it would take around 2 yrs for it be effective in a self defence situation.
    And at this point in my life i need to learn a system that can applied straight away due to getting a job in the Security Industry.

I was wondering what are the points you think lack in the system? That you feel you will find JKD...How long have you been studying Tong Long? I think as your already in the system your insight will be greatly appreciated

heretolearn

4. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

Heretolearn
    As you may well be aware. What you apply in security positions can be different than self defence. Self defence may require your to use anything available and try and run away. Whilst security / Law enforcement can always have the limitations of excessive force and requirement to restrain some one etc. As stupid as this sounds its true.

I'm not sure what sort of magic solution there is out there for people looking for something that works within a month. For anything you have to work hard and long and if you think it works you have to ask against whom? and how? We cannot get something for nothing. what you put in is what you get out. and as perfectly as we practice is as perfect as we get.

I recommend you to look into modern combatives. Not that I know that much about it but it sounds more suited to what you want.

5. JakeTongLong

hey heretolearn

sorry for the late reply, i have been having both internet and computer trouble for sometime now.

I have studied tong long for about 2 years and have had a hiatus from training due to some ongoing injurys for about 6-8months now.

i have seen the progreesive martial arts studio and checked them out but they focus more on competition in my opinion then traditional JKD. it is just a more agressive form of mma. i am looking for a more traditional form of jkd, something with a direct line of sorts to Bruce lee or one of his students maybe, i know it is a big ask but id rather do it right the first time them learn bad habits you know?

As for the effectiveness of Tong long there isnt many flaws, one i have noticed is the fighting or ready stance is stright on, a large target, rather then side on smaller target. now in saying that tong long training is all about hit fast, hit hard and end it. it does not have a large amount of holds or garples, blocks or sweaps. it is an offensive art more then defencive. it involves a more of a block and strike at the same time motive which is very effective in my opinion but can also leave you open to attack if misjudged or parryed(wrong spelling). the power that can be generated from the internal style is very amazing, my sifu is a family friend and demostared it to me by hitting me across the room which was about 6 feet, feet off the ground type of thing.

As for my reason on persuing JKD, Bruce lee, not his movie persona, but his real life persona interests me greatly, esspecially in the fact that he was so committed to perfecting a fighting style that was adaptive and progressive. i have read countless number of his books and i feel that JKD is the style for me, if you could call it that. i know it is largely based on Wing Chun but it also says in his books that if you have studied different style as your base use it. so i am looking foward to trying it as i feel it will be the one for me, and i go with my gut most of the time and most of the time it is right.

As for Tong Long being used in a security standpoint and practicality in the security field, it is a brutal martail art, eye gougs, groin hits and rips, throat strikes and rips, hits to the temple, sola plex, floating rib and jugular. it is a last resort style of fighting. even the typical jaw cross strike is ment to break the jaw badly. so i think if you want to do it for training wise and because it interest you then it is definately an amazing kung fu style. but i think if you were to use it in a security type situation where you had to restrain someone etc it is not really designed around that. there are parts of it with holds etc but they are usually followed by a strike and deadly one at that.

i am not saying dont do it, because i would reccommend it to anyone i have enjoyed my time there and will definately go back. as for my school i kind of was taught on the fly by the family friend. privately taught.

hope this helps. good luck on your search.

6. JakeTongLong

i have actually just read about the progressive martail arts studio and they trained under dan inosanto so maybe it is worth another look

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I just looked at the site - hell yes you should check them out!

8. JakeTongLong

yeah i sent them an email. waitin to hear back if i dont hear in 2 days ill be contacting them. unfortunately my back and neck injuries are still limitive to my training at present so even if i wanted to i couldnt go all out.

by the way im only 27, my back and neck were cused by a car accident i had when i was 17. a car hit me in the back while i was stopped at a red light. no brakes nothing at 90km/hish. could be worse tho so im not complainin just tryin to get right before i train right.

9. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

I hear the lady who owns the place is very helpful. And Guru Dan was practically her Godfather. I was told that by some one who has met her. She tried to get him into the concept gigue but it wasn't for him. You might enjoy it more though. Its down to who you'll get to work with and how well you work with them.

Sorry to hear about your neck. You will be fine. Get regular massages. Lay off the weights. Drink lots of water. Nice controled and balanced martial training might actually do you good.

10. JakeTongLong

yeah its not a big deal something i decided to take definate messures to correct this year. i am seeing a sports physio who works with the melbourne storm and broncos and stuff. he is doing wonders and i asked him yesterday when i can start training again and he is confident in the next few weeks so im excited to start back up again.