The debate over Jack Poole the BAB and Henry Ellis is deepening..

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Dave Humm, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

2. TheMasterSword

TheMasterSword Cunning Linguist

Causing ripples dude causing ripples

3. Dave Humm

Who me ??? :rolleyes: never lol... but the issues mentioned in the debate are important for British Aikidoists, even if they don't agree, they need to know.

Dave

4. Amakasashi

Amakasashi New Member

I am glad you are causing ripples :) I posted to that forum to give my support. Keep the ripples coming :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2004
  5. Dave Humm

Thank you your support is appreciated by many aikidoists here, including myself.

Dave

6. Amakasashi

Amakasashi New Member

anytime dave

7. crane

crane New Member

I wonder where this will all end, any ideas?

8. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

Well...most of these people are pretty old.

Some of them have students that are over 60.

9. Dave Humm

Well I'm considerably younger than 60 and I won't drop the issue :)

The conclusion to this debate is a debate in it's self. One the one hand we have Mr. Poole who could, if he saw fit, address the issues that Mr. Ellis has presented. One the other, The BAB could likewise comment however, don't be under any misunderstanding that either of them will, I genuinely believe that neither Poole or the BAB are in a position to defend their actions, I feel that any further interaction they have with the aikido community regarding this farce, will do nothing but widen the gap already created between them and a considerable number of Aikidoists.

The mere fact that BOTH parties remain tightly lipped IMHO proves they have nothing valid to say.

The publication of the controversy will continue and thus highlight to anyone who cares to listen or read about the farcical behaviour of both Mr. Poole (Now a 7th Dan) and the BAB

Dave

10. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

Oh I wasn't saying you should drop it, I was just giving my opinion on where it will probably end.

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Dave I read what the BAB said about not being able to get insurance soon unless you'er registered with them.

They are forgetting they are only recognised by the sports council in ENGLAND. There is no officialy recognised governing body in Scotland so far as know for Aikido.

Clubs and organisations in Scotland should still be able to get insurance cover without BAB registration. To insist on BAB registration would defeat the purpose of the sports council in scotland.

Assuming I'm correct it looks like the BAB won't be as all powerful and controling as it thinks.

There are also other large Aikido organisations in England, such as the Ki Federation of Great Britain headed up by Sensei Williams which I doubt will take kindly to the BAB dictating terms to them.

12. Dave Humm

Thanks for that info, most appreciated, perhaps you could do me the favour of letting me know whom Scottish Aikidoists obtain their insurance through, PM me your reply if you want mate.

Thx

Dave

13. Tintin

Tintin Cats: All your base...

Politics. The bane of martial arts.

I'm affiliated with the BAA who come under the umbrella of the BAB. I also have little interest in this whole affair, and wonder why you need to dredge it up again. Look to the future, not the past.

14. Amakasashi

Amakasashi New Member

what is part of the past is a part of the future, they are one in the same, thus this topic can not be ignored nor should it be ignored seeing as how it affects the intregrity of aikido everywhere.

15. Dave Humm

TinTIn
    You make a valid point and one that I feel deserves an answer.

Firstly, the issues surrounding the BAB and Jack Poole haven't been "dredged up" again.. The matter has actually never gone away. It will never go away until the BAB make some form of statement accounting for it's actions during their National Seminar in 2000.
    I respect your opinion and have always said, and maintain; if your not interested don't listen to the opinions of those who are, don't read the material that proves Jack Poole is little more than a fraud regarding his years between 1952 - '68 and, let those who do care about the integrity and honesty of their discipline, continue to bring this sordid situation to light.
    The fact that *we* maintain our stance on this matter and repeatedly remind those that already know and, let those who aren’t aware of the satiation effectively means we are looking to the future because, even if you do want to be a part of a dishonest and frankly corrupt organisation - the BAB, I and many others do not. The "past" as you state is the historical worth of our disciplines, to simply cast it aside means we might as well forget who the founder was, who the current Doshu is etc etc. the fact that we are talking about Jack Poole, Henry Ellis or any other individual is immaterial; The facts - The history of British Aikido is a well documented series of events that Mr. Poole plays no part in until 1968 yet, he'd deceive YOU into believing he was the very first man to teach, not practice.. TEACH aikido techniques a year BEFORE Abbe sensei arrived here. We've PROVED that to be complete BS. Not to mention his so called Sandan in JUDO that has again been refuted by the organisation he claimed to have represented. The man's a flake, if you don't like me or anyone else making that clear, fine.

DaveH

16. Mr Blobby

Mr Blobby New Member

Another option...

Fortunately, when I trained in Britain, my dojo avoided all the controversy and politics by being affiliated not to the British but to the Belgian Aikikai...

See www.st-and.ac.uk/~aikido

17. Dave Humm

Don't get me wrong, I hate politics and the controversy surrounding Mr. Poole and the British Aikido Board but, If we all simply ignored it or took the attitude that it didn't exist, then those responsible would be beyond all reproach and accountability.

Dave

18. Mr Blobby

Mr Blobby New Member

Absolutely.

Of course, you are quite right, and it is a disgrace to our entire martial art that this charlatan should represent us.

19. Dave Humm

The information now contained within the Aikido Database site has now shifted firmly from the Jack Poole debate, onto the BAB directly.

We wish to prevent the BAB from effectively running unchallenged and without any form of accountability to the very people (aikidoists) for whom without, the BAB would not have a purpose to exist.

Ok, I realise some of you won't be fully aware of the situation regarding our so called Governing Body, suffice to say they have acted without due consideration to many aikidoists, including some very senior Aikidoka. Please drop by and post your thoughts and comments in any of the forums sections, with your support we hope to bring the BAB out of their closet and communicate.

Many thanks

Dave Humm
    go to www.aikido-database.co.uk