Self Defence for Children

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Mitch, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

This is a topic that comes up on MAP in one form or aother quite often, and usually we just say that it isn't practical to teach young kids self defence.

This isn't a very satisfactory answer though is it? Do we simply say that we should ignore it and hope for the best, or should we actually think about what we can do to help kids. Surely the latter.

Firstly let's define terms. A 13 year old is very different from a 6 year old, so let's pick an age group. Let's say 5 to 9 years old.

Similarly the training we might want to give them regarding aggression from peers might be different from what we would want to teach regarding problems with adults, so as most people consider this subject from the point of view of defending against adults, let's stick with that.

So what can we teach?

We all know that good self defence teaching should include a large amount of situational awareness training, so we can start with that. Stranger danger (and perhaps the danger of friends/relatives as I think most attacks come from those known to the child), awareness of which places are safe and which are not, awareness of displaying valuables, the value of keeping parents informed of whereabouts, etc.

Perhaps we should be looking at the padwork and striking that are often derided when taught to this age group. I'm thinking on my feet here so just follow me with this for a moment. It's a given that a child in this age group is simply not going to be able to inflict any meaningful damage on an adult who intends them harm.

However, we have to be careful about how think about the aim/methodology of this padwork training. The goal shouldn't be to defeat the opponent, rather it should be to create valuable seconds of commotion and resistance whilst making it abundantly clear to any passersby that the child is not with the adult willingly.

From this perspective a sustained few seconds of high intensity scratching, biting, struggling and screaming might not be a bad reaction to train children in. We're not talking stereotypical high kicks to pads, we're thinking slaps, bites, scratches and above all a lot of noise to attract attention.

All this is very much off the top of my head, but as always it's interesting to talk these things through and see what people think.

What are your thoughts people?

Mitch

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I think situational awareness is the real key to self defense in that age group, although it is important to ensure that the child understands that running away is the correct tactic and that all the pad work is being done in case they find themselves in a situation where they cannot run away. Giving a 9 year old a false sense of confidence in their ability to fight off an attacker is exactly the opposite of what you should be aiming for.

It might be possible to teach them how to break out of an adults grip, if say, they were being held by the upper arm etc.

3. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

One point that comes to mind. Screaming blue murder alone might not work because bystanders might assume that the kid was the adult's own and was merely throwing a tantrum. What about teaching them to yell 'X isn't my mom/dad! Help!'

4. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Or teach them to grab one finger and wrench it backwards. Even a really weak person can do that. My brother could do it at 10 years old, lol (won't go into that).

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

might not be a good idea either. when around 6 years old, i was known for yelling that my brother was kidnapping me when he took me to school ¬_¬

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Are we talking about what we can teach in a martial arts class or in a lesson?

Stranger danger, situational awareness, phoning the parents etc are surely things you're better to learn in the settled environment of a classroom or informal meeting - not necessarily in a training suit in a sports hall. This is the envirnment we'd usually be talking about in a martial arts forum and it's one that lends itself more to the physical aspects - shouting, sprinting, dealing with stress and sudden grabs etc

If you're going to teach kids about self defence, it seems to make more sense to start in the classroom and teach about the behaviours and preparations you can learn, then take it to the sports hall/playground and drill scenarios.

One of the arguments you often hear is "why don't karate classes teach avoidance, situational awareness etc?" - the answer being that they're there to teach the physical aspects of conflict - it's no more a limitation than the lack of cricket bats in tennis is a limitation.

7. Lev Da Fish

Lev Da Fish Valued Member

This topic is something I have thought about recently - it may be that as a fairly new parent (little one is 15 months old) I have become more protective.

All I can do is think back to when I was little, my parents made it clear to me that if I didn't know someone or was unsure of them then I should avoid them - a genuine friend of theirs would be able to clear this up with parents rather quickly. My dad also explained that not everyone was whom they pretented to be and that should I find myself being grabbed or similar I should shout FIRE FIRE at the top of my voice and then try and bite or scratch whoever was holding me.

Whilst the above may be extremely basic, he said that people will more often than not turn to see where the shout of FIRE is coming from - unfortunately not everyone will respond the same to someone shouting HELP.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

This is interesting.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2010/08/30/129531631/5-worries-parents-should-drop-and-5-they-should

If we take that list as a start (no idea if it's accurate or not...seems a bit American) it seems the best things we can do to safeguard our child's health (what self defence is all about afterall) are...

Drive defensively when they are in our cars and teach them to cross the road safely (Car accidents)
    Choose our friends and relatives really carefully (Homicide and abuse)
    Raise them to be well rounded and happy individuals (Suicide)
    Teach them to swim and warn them about dangerous water (Drowning)

All that is the job of parents, not martial arts teachers.

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Absolutely. But I'm both so thought I might as well think about it in my professional capacity as well as my paternal. :)

mitch

10. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I reckon the other thing that parents could do to help their children from a self-defence perspective is to make it explicit and clear that 'mum and dad have got your back'. Don't leave it for the child to decide whether mum and dad will be angry with them if they have to fight or if they tell them what uncle Tim did, because the kids aren't equipped to make that kind of decision about gray areas of morality.

Tell your kids outright: if you have to defend yourself, I will take your side against anyone who tries to punish you for it. If someone threatens to hurt you for telling us about something, I will make sure they don't get the chance to harm you.

I get the impression that kids take their parents' regard seriously, and will take significant abuse rather than risk mum and dad not loving them any more. So make it clear that it's not gonna happen.

11. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

From 5 to 9 they should be doing judo, adding a good striking art at about 9. By the time they're 15 they should stand a chance against a small adult. By 16, pretty much anyone that isn't huge. Anything else is just pretending

12. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

My sister was 7 when someone taught her that trick. Groin strikes were added soon afterwards.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

9 o'clock is well past my daughters bedtime. Can I alternate which days she does judo and striking? :)

14. Moi

On your head be it. She should be thinking of BJJ by now. Early morning

15. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

QFT - though I would happily substitute Judo with wrestling. I think there's play of about a year either way on the ages given depending on genetics and environment, but the principle is sound.

16. Moi

Not something I've seen a lot of in the UK but judo or wrestling. Add the sort of stuff you do later on. Not sure when but weapons are so prevalent these days. Trouble is finding a good instructor, I do t think there are that many about

17. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

The youngest I teach is aged 11, and they mainly focus on padwork and reaction time drills. I get them to hit older people in armour, but I won't have them doing nhb against each other!

18. Moi

That's the trouble. Better for the younger ones to punch and throw and MT & judo has that covered. Sad thing is once they get past about 15 they older you get the less chance of needing the stuff. I'm sure most stabbings are kids on kids

19. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

And what about defense against bullies? That's even more relevant, I think.

A lot of kids get bullied really bad, and most of the time teachers and parents can't do much about it. I mean, what are you going to do, give the bullies a lecture, or suspend them from school, and hope they won't do it again? Some parents send their kids to a different school (great...teach them to run away from their problems), and other parents even discourage their kids from fighting back!!!

I've been brought up to hit back if someone hits me...and hit em with all you got! Then they won't touch you again!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  20. Dikzzz

Dikzzz Valued Member

I EXTENSIVELY teach this age group - 6-9, 10-14 etc.

I teach seminars in 'Stop bullies FAST'; Stranger Awareness (I hate the term Stranger Danger); Defence against armed attackers and weapons awareness; Ground attacks.

I use age appropriate language and teaching practices to get children to understand and practice awareness, boundary control, body language, voice, and appropriate physical responses.

The children participate in proper adrenal stress scenario training in all the courses. They do both verbal and physical scenarios.

Pretty much every parent who's kids participate say they want it on the national curriculum.

The kids definately get it.
    It's important to remember that they are kids though!!!

Dik