learn JKD without instructor?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by BruceLeeFan, Aug 8, 2010.

1. BruceLeeFan

BruceLeeFan Valued Member

Hi.
    I want to learn JKD by myself. When I could, I would join a club, but the next club is to far away.
    I know that I cant learn all from JKD, like Trapping et cetera, because I dont have a trainingspartner for that.
    Actual I just want to learn the punches and kicks. I have already 1 year experience in Muay Thai. And I will not stop to train MT.
    The reason that I wanted to learn the JKD strike techniques are, that they are - in my opinion - usefuller than the MT strike techniques (in a real fight).
    Do you think that I could learn the JKD strike techniques from books and videos? Or is it impossible??

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

No, no, no, no & no

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Impossible.

We have had this time and again on MAP. You need an instructor.

In order to teach yourself you need an understanding on the mechanics of each technique, then you have to take into account timing, distance, cadence, beats and half beats and so on.

How many different jabs do you know 1, 2, 3..........?

If you have answered 1 or 2 then there is a sign you need instruction.

Do you have access to a top and bottom bag or punch bag. If you do then do you know how to structure a workout. Do you know how to train distancing, can you visualise the opponent? If not then the bag can make you ponderous, heavy and slow.

JKD uses the five ways of attack, do you know those?

JKD (depending who you train with) takes a lot from Muay Thai but also a lot from western boxing, so without the boxing knowledge you would just be doing Muay Thai at home.

You mention a real fight so what about the clinch work, any familiarity with dumog, pangamut etc?

JKD has several arts to draw from so your JKD instructor would have several instructors he/she goes to.

So you get the idea, get to a class. You can keep yourself fit and healthy at home but you cannot teach yourself.

4. Moi

...or just work harder at your MT

5. BruceLeeFan

hm.. i have the feeling that you have not read all of my text.
    I said that I just want to learn some of the JKD punches and kicks, and not all of JKD.
    And if I fight in real, I want to change some of the MT Punches and Kicks against some JKD techniques.
    Like the jab against the straight lead, or add some techniques like the sidekick, oblique kick, fingerjab..
    I dont want to learn the "philosphy" of JKD.

6. Moi

So you want to take a martial art that is arguably one of the best stand-up martial arts, priding itself on economy of movement and powerful strikes, and you want to do what to it? Why would you want to?

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I thing you'll find both Moi and myself read your post quite clearly.

As for the whole of JKD, well I hardly scratched the surface with some of the stuff I said.

You mention changing from Muay Thai to JKD. What is JKD? And before you ask I do know the answer, I did JKD for years.

JKD takes elements from other arts so there is no JKD punch really just a punch taken from another art.

I think Moi's suggestion of getting good at MT is a good one until you can get to a class.

8. Moi

Bruce would have wanted it that way

9. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

If you want to train 'JKD techniques' like a finger jab then train them, its not rocket science. A finger jab is basically a regular jab with your fingers held out!

A side kick is not that hard to practice either. Watch how to do them on an instructional video then practice them on a punchbag. If you're good at the thai kicks you'll soon get the hang of a side kick.

As to learning JKD as an art, thats tough as it was never meant to be an art and is instead best understood as a training methodology. Practicing other techniques and incorperating them into your exisitng skill set from your thai boxing will make you a proper JKDer IMHO.

10. Thephenom52

Thephenom52 Valued Member

If you don't want to learn the "philosphy" of JKD, in my opinion, you need to look at something else. The way I see it, JKD IS a philosophy (or a method of training as Snoop mentioned). There is no JKD jab, JKD kick etc. I spent ages looking for these myself. Anyone trying to tell you different is having a laugh at your expense.
    Jeet Kune do is the idea of an individual codifying several martial arts into one complete one- which covers the different ranges of combat (as Simon said).
    Bruce Lee once said "I do not believe in styles anymore.... I do not believe there is a Chinese way of fighting or Japanese way of fighting or whatever way of fighting." He wanted to eradicate the notion of pupils sticking rigidly to "styles." In essence, JKD is all about exploration.
    Because it's an INDIVIDUALS expression, your JKD will always be different from mine. Whilst mine could be made up of Karate, Boxing and Judo, yours could comprise of Muay Thai, BJJ and Wing Chun.

The responses you've been given are good, it's your initial assumption that JKD is an art to be learned which is false. This isn't a criticism by the way. As I've said, I went through the same thing.

Can you learn JKD from a book or video or whatever? Yes, because it's a concept. You can learn that concept from the guys on this forum.
    Can you learn the martial skills necessary to form your own version of JKD from these mediums? No. There is no viable alternative to a good instructor!
    :cool:

11. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

you need to understand jkd's stance and footwork to make the punches work for you

12. BruceLeeFan

I unterstand it ^^

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Based on what I've seen so far, you aren't looking for advice. You're looking for approval. You have your mind made up already. And you want a bunch of people to say "it's a great idea."

You're probably not going to get that here. There's no ill will in it. We just think it's a genuinely bad idea.

Stuart

14. Matias

Matias Smoky Fist

Sry bud, but no matter how self-sufficient you think you may be, it is as the others say; you canNOT learn a martial art without proper instruction. No videos on youtube or pictures in books will match the true, live, and fun guidance of a master in a dojo.

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I think it's important to remember, also, that it's absolutely fine to be inspired by Bruce Lee in your own training (whatever that is). You needn't claim to be training in jeet kune do. You could simply accept that your own training philosophies and decisions are inspired by what Lee did.

16. Matias

Matias Smoky Fist

all hail bruce lee!

17. Matias

Matias Smoky Fist

Ok. I believe I just died a little inside. JKD IS A PHILOSOPHY.
    Lee was very clear stating that it was not a martial art, rather a concept. And not mere physical concepts, but a way of life that you cannot do without. Please; if you are going to "learn" a martial art, LEARN IT.

18. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Why don't you tell people here where you're from? They'll be able to better identify good training places.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I've never done JKD (maybe some JKD inspired trapping years ago) but would consider my travel's through the martial arts world to BE JKDesque in essence.
    Find what is useful. Discard what is useless. That will be different for everyone.

20. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

I can't help you with the JKD but I can recommend a good home surgery course. The instructions are very clear and they walk you step by step through each move. Let me know if your interested.:hat: