Foam Roller Question

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by KSW_123, Apr 17, 2010.

1. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I did a search and found some good info on use of foam rollers and myofacial release, but I have a question.

I started using a foam roller for the first time about a month and a half ago. At first I could barely put any weight on the IT band. Now, I can roll with full body weight from hip to knee but it is still quite painful in a few spots.

My question is one of timescales. How much time did it take you to get to point where the pain is minor when rolling the IT band? How about the front of the quad?

One more question. Rolling the hamstring doesn't seem to get deep enough. What other tools has anyone tried and had success with. I tried a thera-cane (the one with the knobs and handles) and had a hard time getting any results.

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

If you find a particularly good sized knot you can actually pause on top of it and let your bodyweight naturally work it out. Sometimes that can help for problem areas. It worked on my IT bands pretty well.

If you're doing both of them at the same time, try doing just one at a time. You can also try an elevated surface so you can put a bit more weight onto your hamstrings when you're rolling.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

The theory behind Myofascial Self Release is that you are working out the knots, blockages and adhesions in the fascia. So given your foam roller work is a relatively recent thing... I don't think you can really expect the tender spots to disappear anytime soon. You've got a lifetime of use out of your IT band... and are only beginning to maintain it now.

Hmm... good question. As I'm pretty hard on my legs not only from conditioning and strength training but also from Muay Thai... I've never gotten to a point where my legs didn't have some very tender spots on them. I started out on the blue foam roller... it's the softest of the lot and now work on a red or black foam roller. Black being the most rigid. Almost ridiculously so. eg... my legs are still tender most of the time when on the foam roller. Not really a direct to your question I know.

Agreed I've never found the foam roller to go deep enough on the hamstrings either. Even with full bodyweight.. it just barely barely scratches the surface of what would start to feel good. So get to that tender spot would take a hell of a lot more.

For my money a good Rolfing session or deep tissue massage is the only thing I've ever found that will work the hamstrings that deeply.

4. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

How about frequency and duration of rolling? For the past 1.5 months I've been at that thing for about 25 minutes a day, seven days a week. Longer when it is really painful because I need to take breaks. I am not in maintanence mode yet, but it would be nice to hear that I won't need to dedicate this much time on a daily basis forever.

I've got a white foam roller, but I don't know how hard it is compared to others.

5. liero

liero Valued Member

now i know my google-fu is weak, but I've heard alot about foam rolling.

can anyone actually give me a brief description of it and why its so usefull?

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

7. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Have you thought about a ball for the hamstrings instead of the roller if it's not getting deep enough. I use a tennis ball in addition to the roller for some areas. You can also work up to a hockey or baseball.

Also, as others have said are you diong both legs at the same time? If so, maybe try putting one leg on top of the other for extra weight.

Cheers.

8. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

That is a good idea, I have a softball and baseball in the garage. I'll try them.

I was doing one leg at a time on the foam roller.

I also going to buy a high density foam roller. Mine is apparently on the soft side. I didn't know.

I also found some myofacial release balls on PowerSystems web site. I think I'll pick up 1 or 2 of them for a try as well.

9. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I got my new foam roller and bunch of different myofacial release and massage balls from Power Systems. So far I like the high density foam roller the best for my legs. The balls are a workout to keep the leg on top of. I am not looking for a workout though. I tried the Softball and Baseball and although they were easier to stay on, they hurt like hell. I think I will have to wait a while.

I also got a couple of things from Fitter First. Kind of funny names, an Index Knobber and a Jack Knobber. The Jack Knobber looks like a jack from the old time kids game except bigger. It is (painfully) awesome for releasing the hip flexor, just lay on it. The index knobber gives you great leverage to really get into a tight muscle.

As to my original question of timescales. It has been about 2.5 months and the IT bands are easy to roll except for one spot that stubbornly won't go away. The quads are still really painful. Normally I take full weight, but after a hard workout I need to put the other foot down to support some of my bodyweight.

10. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

If you have stubborn points, it might be worth getting a deep tissue massage on them occasionally.

11. sgamma01

sgamma01 New Member

Foam roll is a great way to work out knots and preserve health of tissue. It is also a great way to increase deep muscle temperature and to get more out of lengthening techniques or static stretching.

For the hamstring I would try a baseball. Smaller surface area. I would also try going to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a PVC pipe which will be harder than traditional foam roll.

Make sure after you roll, sitting on "knot" for atleast 30 sec., you do a good set of atleast 20 sec. of static stretching.

Stephen
    CSCS

www.Defensetecsolutions.com