Martial Arts and Breaking

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by 47MartialMan, Mar 31, 2010.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Sometime ago, I had once thought breaking (boards, bricks, etc.) in martial arts was a test of ability and power.

I was in a discussion with a colleague and he has two degrees, one in physics, the other a PhD, in Hydraulic and Structural Engineering.

Looking at it from a perspective of a non-martial artist, he said that breaking had everything to do with physics and material selection. We went further to discuss that it is a demonstration of speed-velocity and properly displaced force upon a selected material within many deciding factors.

I had saved our notes upon this discussion and found many sources on the internet about the properties of breaking per physics and materials

Then, there were the old tales or fables that board breaking was practiced so that one could break though armor and the method-hand chop was developed to target the neck between the helmet line and upper body armor.

What are your thoughts on ALL of this?

What articles do you have on this?

What book, websites, and reading do you recommend?

Thanking you in advance for a reply;

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  2. Ace of Clubs

Ace of Clubs Banned Banned

My opinion?

It's a stupid waste of time. If only more martial artists knew a little something about science.

Breaking through armour with your hands is a ridiculous myth. The reason armour was invented was to stop weapons (fyi: hands aren't weapons), swords and spears were not that effective against good armour (so how can hands be any better?) and usually the best way to take out an armoured opponent was to throw them on the ground and find a weak spot in the armour using a dagger or a helmet crusher.

Board breaking looks flashy and sells well to gullible children and soccer mums.

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

When you were young, you saw Bruce Lee kicked the light ball from the ceiling in the Green Hornet movie, you wanted to try to see if you could do it too. When you saw someone broke boards, you wanted to try it too. When you get older, you realized that MA is much more than just high kicks and board breaking. You just keep those board breaking and high kicks experience in your memory and not to think about it anymore.

One time I saw a TKD master used side kick on a vertical concrete block stood on table. The concrete block broke before it flew away. I thought that was cool. After spending about $70 in concrete block, I could do it 3 times in a roll. I stopped doing that since then.

4. pmosiun

pmosiun Valued Member

I remember Bruce Lee said something about boards don't hit back. I also agree that board breaking is a cool demo.

5. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

But he had no problem smashing light bulbs. :woo:

6. 47MartialMan

Most anyone in a full fighting art or looking for fighting ability will not do board breaking.

Perhaps bag and/or makiwara training is far more beneficial than breaking

7. 47MartialMan

This is going to be long and it may well be a article for the article section;

I have written this sometime ago;

Part 1

UPON MYTH
    When using the terms “I heard”, “Its been rumored”, or any type of belief which had not been proven or in other cases, unproven, is a myth. A simple explanation of a myth is a story told by raconteurs, which becomes tradition, and then written history, that explains or to give credibility to the unknown. Countless myths continue like the story of George Washington and the cherry tree, by Parson Wems. This was proven to never actually happen. But perhaps used to epitomize Washington’s moral character. Such stories are told, recorded or written about many famous people making them heroes or larger than life. Myths are often stories told to entertain, impress, or persuade others without deductive or tangible reason to think otherwise. A myth relies on acceptance or rejection of the person. Simply; “You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.” Such acceptance or rejection can have a biased, prejudiced, personal conflict, clash of culture, etc. Part of the promulgation of myths, per martial arts, is to blame upon many martial artists themselves who hold dearly onto what they cherish by keeping intrigue, curiosity, and attention. Other factors of martial art myths have been cultural tendencies stemming from cultural protocol that nothing derogatory should be said about seniors or the deceased. Also, there is the etiquette of not challenging authority, causing disrespect, or not wanting to offend the interviewer. Furthermore, holding onto a belief or past knowledge per even not having a convincingly answer when a simple; “I’m sorry, I don’t know" would suffice, but rahter holding onto self pride. Reputable, audacious scholars or historians and science, can dispel many myths.

8. 47MartialMan

Part 1 continued

In some martial arts discussion, there is also the belief of Chi-Ki, power from within, which from my study, as applied to Karate breaks, is merely a mental structure, as some would incorrectly call this “mind over matter”.

There is a myth, which suggests that breaking wood was to be used to break armor. All one has to do is research martial art history and the make up of armor. Armor was made of pieces of metal or scales. This being the fact that Tameshiwari appeared more in modern martial art practices than in feudal times when armor was made to deflect or somewhat protect against much more pernicious implements such as swords verses the bare hand. If such armor is an attempt to deflect metal blades, surely, logic suggests that the human hand could not penetrate that which is designed against a far greater threat.

Other martial art myths;

*Jump kick were created to knock off horsemen

*Martial artists have to register their hands as deadly weapons

*Wing Chun was created by a woman (not to some WC older masters)

*Bodhidarma taught Shaolin Monks Kung Fu

*Martial arts started in Shaolin

UPON PHYSICS

There could be a mention that such study about breaking is not Physics, but Dynamics. In part this is correct. However, “under” Physics you find Statics and Dynamics. Statics studies forces in equilibrium states (non-moving) and Dynamics studies forces on moving objects. Both fall UNDER PHYSICS. Board breaking, per applied Physics, maybe related to billiards, per a cue ball striking another ball. However, most shots in pool, it is not all about a powerful strike, as geometry and finesse are also factors.

9. 47MartialMan

Part 2

UPON MATERIAL

Much of breaking, if not the majority, is about the material selected. Its very size per dimension per length, width, and thickness are all going to have a role. (And the words "along the grain" has it share in the role.)

Material Selection
    Size and selection are important:

Density
    Consulting with engineers, those within that profession having to use applied physics, the density of wood is a lot stronger than the density of concrete. Some could say that it is easier to break concrete blocks than wooden boards. From the naked eye, this is clearly seen in the natural fiber or the grain of the wood, and the porous cellular structure of concrete. However, one should not confuse concrete with cement. Martial artists love to say they can break cement blocks

The difference between concrete and cement is that concrete “contains cement” plus sand and gravel. It is the cement that binds the sand and gravel or crushed rock together to form what we call concrete.

Cement: "...a powder of alumina, silica, lime, iron oxide, and magnesium oxide burned together in a kiln and finely pulverized and used as an ingredient of mortar and concrete."

Concrete:...a hard strong building material made by mixing a “cementing material” (as portland cement) and a mineral aggregate (as sand and gravel) with sufficient water to cause the cement to set and bind the entire mass."

There are many different grades, or strength of concrete. Precast blocks are definitely different than pre cast slabs or support structures requiring more strength. Hence, there is no such thing as a cement sidewalk, or a cement mixer; the proper terms are concrete sidewalk and concrete mixer.

Wood:
    Wood grain most commonly refers to the texture and appearance of the wood fibers. Technically, the word grain refers to the orientation of wood-cell fibers. That's quite different from wood grain figure, which describes the distinctive pattern that frequently results from various grain orientations. Grain means texture, too

Texture means the relative size as well as the amount of variation in size of the wood cells. It's the cells and how they're arranged in bands called rays, and the size and distribution of pores, that make the difference between fine-textured wood and coarse-textured wood.

Woodworkers, though, say "fine-grained" and "coarse-grained" rather than use the word texture to describe this characteristic of wood. Thus the direction of the grain would have to be in proper placement or alignment, for the striker to utilize proper “force displacement or pressure” (not the striker’s power) for the break. (As explained in Power vs Force)

The types of wood reflect its grain and texture. Wood has a variety of species that make them softer or harder. Naturally, pine is softer than oak or Snakewood (Piratinera guianensis). Other hard woods are ironwood, huacapu and some types of eucalypts. Hard woods would not create flexibility for a break to happen easy.

Flexibility. (The reason why the object has to have a certain size per length or width.) Flexibility of wood is a must for the ease of the break. To use an example, take a wooden dowel or rod. The longer it is, the more it flexes, thus the action force upon it (force displacement or pressure) will allow less force, per easy break. If you are to shorten the rod, considerably, it will flex less and require much more force to break. You can increase the density of the longer rod thus making harder to flex or break by tightly bundling more rods with the one. Take a long piece of wood. It will snap with less force than a much shorter piece. If someone is using pine boards 1 ft x 1 ft at 1 inch thick, the very nature of the wood (per its species), and the size, which is going to allow flexing, will break easier.

POWER VS. FORCE
    Force is not to be considered as power that which is made from the striker. In essence, force for breaking is about acceleration, momentum, and velocity. It is these later that apply. These create energy upon the object being struck, which also has to have some flexibility. (The reason why the object has to have a certain size per length or width.) Energy used to perform the break is not the same as power from a person, because the energy for the break is about energy transfer. Energy transfer cannot work alone without force displacement or pressure. In other words, the “focus of the force” has to be examined. (This focus is not to be confused with focus from the striker-per mental challenge) This is the same principle of buoyancy of large steel marine vessels. (Displacement resulting from focused force or pressure)

METHOD OR TECHNIQUE
    We also have to look upon the method or technique from the striker:

“It is known that pugilists-boxers have powerful punches. They also execute these punches quick. Because the boxer’s Method or Technique is different than someone in Karate, this type of strike-punch, will not be able to perform breaking with ease or without trouble. Boxers throw their fists as a follow-through. This gives the punch momentum as it can knock an opponent down. The knock out is not only upon the punch as well as the target, the body position and mechanics, and the tolerance of the receiver.

Although to perform the break, martial artists may have to follow-through, (Although the mentality of the striker must believe that it has to in order to prevent hesitation) The strike is very quick. I have discovered there are different types of breaks, speed and power, but upon the study of these, it is still a matter of speed-per velocity. Hence acceleration, momentum, and velocity. It may not be deniable, that a certain part of the body has to be conditioned to withstand the force, but looking upon these body parts, they have strong bone structure to begin with. This is why many non-martial artists without such conditioning can also perform breaks.

Karate breaking doesn’t require any specialized extraordinary training as it requires the proper selection and understanding of POWER VS. FORCE, METHOD OR TECHNIQUE, and understnding Materials

This said, if one is to perform a more courageous way to break, per no spaces, etc., then perhaps, a type of conditioning is needed. (One could go as far as to discuss if such conditioning is also necessary in martial arts in whole.) Given to break separate pieces without spaces, is still not as dense or composite as to have a solid piece. In other words if one is to break 6qty, 1-inch boards stacked without spaces, then why could they not break a solid 6-inch block of wood? Or why could they not break these 6-1inch boards if they were glued together? The answer still is in Physics and the limitations of the human body and the material selected.

10. 47MartialMan

Part 3

UPON REFERENCE

Kancho Oyama said in his own words; “When considering the Karate boom around the world, I am forced to admit that Tameshiwari has played a large part in making Karate popular, as Tameshiwari generally seems very attractive to people.”

When the Korean War broke out in 1950, a Karate exhibition was held to which many foreign personal of the Armed Forces were invited. They were not at all interested in Kata and Kumite demonstrations but when Tameshiwari was performed, the hall became as quite as still water. They were fascinated by the performances, and afterwards, a thunderous applause arose over the hall.

Authors and references like Peter Lewis, Bruce Tegner, Patrick McCarthy, Mark Bishop, Nagaboshi Tomio, Oscar Ratti, Benny Meng and Alfredo Delbrocco, Black Belt Magazine, to name a few.

All it would take is someone with the audacity to break away from the common consensus and perform more research for themselves, or use common sense logic upon another's presented research.

Curtis Rist
    http://discovermagazine.com/2000/may/featphysics/?searchterm=karate board breaking

Cecil Adams
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns...boards-and-bricks-using-only-their-bare-hands

J D Walker
    http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~scdiroff/lds/NewtonianMechanics/KarateBlow/KarateBlow.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/309108/how_to_break_boards_like_a_martial.html

Wei-Siong Tan
    http://em-ntserver.unl.edu/Mechanics-Pages/Tan/Tan.htm

Dennis L. Wissler
    http://www.aibudo.com/break/specific/specific.html

Michael S. Feld
    http://web.mit.edu/Physics/people/faculty/feld_michael.html

C Brin
    http://cabscience.com/karate.pdf

Ronald McNair
    http://www.newtonsapple.tv/TeacherGuide.php?id=1297

Stephen Wilk
    http://www.arnis.org/downloads/physics1.pdf

Jon Chananie
    http://www.howeverythingworks.org/journal/Article1.1.pdf

http://www.all-karate.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1344&st=15

Michael Kinney
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOM0J4dtcFI&mode=related&search="]Martial Arts Breaking Tricks Exposed by Michael Kinney - YouTube[/ame]

Science Project Forum
    http://classroom.all-science-fair-projects.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1124

Physics forum
    http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=182313

Materials

Wood
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_grain

http://www.karatesupply.com/Pine-Breaking-Boards_p_13-1346.html

http://www.karatebreaking.com/materials.html

Breakaway
    http://www.martialartsmart.com/20-31.html?gclid=CLaly4Ga4qACFSpuswodQW8LxQ

Cement and Concrete
    http://www.cement.org/basics/concretebasics_faqs.asp

11. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Mr. Lee was reciting his movie lines for that one. And certainly one doesn't expect to use movie lines as a guideline for evaluating martial arts training tactics! In his training as a martial artist, I believe Mr. Lee had no problem hitting kung fu dummies, kicking shields, heavy bags, punch pads, and various other practice targets, even though none of them would hit him back.

12. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

All right, I get what you are driving at, MM47, as I fully understand the physics involved (despite not being an engineer), and admittedly did not bother to read all the linked articles you provided (maybe one day when I'm bored and have nothing better to do).

But let me take it from the perspective of the original context which inspired you to start this thread (for those unaware, just click the link in the quote from post #6).

First let me start by saying that I agree about most breaking demos being little more than tricks performed in order to get a reaction from the audience (the "ooh!" factor). But the fact remains that many people cannot accomplish breaks unless coached how to do it properly (the physics). And despite only needing a heavy bag (or similar tool) in order to learn how to deliver a devastating blow, one CAN use the practice of board breaking skills to help figure out how to accomplish bone-crushing strikes.

Concerning material selection, let me interject a final thought for you. Glass is very brittle and due to this aspect would be considered much easier to break than a board (or concrete). Actually however, if the pane of glass were as thick as the concrete slabs used in some demonstrations, it would be perhaps more difficult than a similar shaped slab of cement. :dunno: (note that I said "cement" and not "concrete" and despite you insisting that cement is only a component of concrete, most people in the construction business refer to cement as being sand/mortar while concrete is considered to be sand/mortar/gravel — BTW it's the size of the gravel that makes concrete easier to break than cement, due to the stress factors you mentioned)

But due to the physics involved, even thinner glass becomes difficult to break once it is formed into a spherical shape, i.e. a bottle. Such breaks are often dismissed, since as you pointed out, the ooh! factor erroneously has people convinced that breaking slabs of concrete (or even granite) is decidedly more difficult. I'm already aware of the various difficulties (and tricks) involved with doing some of the types of breaks often seen in MA exhibitions, but since you seem interested, maybe you could search for any documentation detailing the physics in breaking bottles and report back?

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Gavin Mulholland's book "Four Shades of Black" discusses breaking in a good way IMHO.
    To para-phrase...
    The phrase "tameshiwari" means "trial by breaking". And that's what he uses it for. It's done at gradings and is meant to be a trial. It's not for show but to test the student. The student is prepared to do the break (through regular training and conditioning) but must go that extra bit on the day and actually break.
    I think that's a good use for it.
    I took a re-breakable board into my Karate club a while back and a fairly nervous female student got a visible confidence lift upon breaking it.
    After that it's fairly useless but I'd have it as part of the confidence building process that should be part and parcel of a good MA syllabus.

14. AndyCTB

AndyCTB Valued Member

In my opinion, Breaking has to be one of the corniest things in all Martial Arts. It develops nothing in terms of fighting ability and just looks like a way for out of shape, insecure ego maniacs to look macho in front of their students.

Oh and before you say... there are physically fit , balanced and humble people that are extreme breaking champions. Well... I'm afraid they are just dumb and misled.

Incase you haven't guessed I'm not the biggest fan of breaking, but each to their own! :)

15. AndyCTB

AndyCTB Valued Member

p.s. look at this guy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtnQlT9VIqE"]Xtreme Martial Arts Breaking, Master Drew Serrano - YouTube[/ame]

Watch as he swaggers from brick to brick scowling at the audience massaging his ego.

What a Douche

16. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

as far as breaking goes it never gets boring. it feels good when you go thru a few inches of wood. or even a brick. its not necesasry but improves your technique and keeps your bottle up.

17. 47MartialMan

Beaking glass....wee hoo, another shade of glorification.

Breaking as a confidence builder and some of its associated hype seems to be almost hand in hand with belt ranking...

We hoo, another thread starter

18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I personally think tameshiwari has some benefits. It teaches you to totally commit to your blow, it's a good confidence booster, it encourages you to condition your bodily weapons, and it's a fun way to test your technique.

One of the recent Black Belt issues really covered this well.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  19. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Kyokushin fighters routinely practice tameshiwari. It's actually a requirement during some tournaments to break as well as fight.

20. Shodai

Shodai Valued Member

i disagree, i think its a huge confidence booster...cause some people actually have that " i cant do it attitude" and that overcomes that...cause believe it or not it can be intimidating...but it overcomes it...my opinion