BJJ in Judo tourny

Discussion in 'Judo' started by roninmaster, Mar 30, 2010.

1. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

Ok so theirs this grappling tournament in my state at the end of April. there are different divisions based on the main style of grappling (bjj, sambo, etc) after some jokes i was considering to jump into the judo competition as a secondary, to see how id fare. Just for the experience. Ive been doing BJJ for 9 months. so im competent with grappling and pretty good newaza as you guys call it. i understand points are given for takedowns and pinning not submitting, but i was hoping you guys could give me some pointers. what advice would you guys say is good for a BJJ guy entering a judo tourny?

p.s. are double leg take downs allowed?

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Don't do it.
    hahahaha

I had to go against a few Judokas from Japan several years back at the Copa De Hong Kong... and it was tough standing up. Their throws were superb. One second you're on your feet.. next second... cartwheeling through the air.

Not sure how much stand up throws and throw defense you learn in your BJJ.. but we didn't cover a whole lot as white belts roll primarily from the knees... and well I was a white belt. So flying was par the course against Judoka I guess. :p

Give it a go and let us know.

3. righty

righty Valued Member

First advice. Read the rules. Read the rules well. Find a Judo person to explain and demostrate the rules as the interpretation and application of the rules is sometimes open to interpretation. The are more rules in general with Judo and are also more complexAlso get a Judo person to check you gi to see if it follows the Judo guildelines which a lot of BJJ specific 'kimonos' don't. Do this or you will likely quickly be disqualified, in which case it's a waste of time. It's rather obvious you haven't looked into this as contrary to what you have said, submissions are indeed allowed in Judo comps.

There's not reason why you can't. Just do your research to make it worth it. But yes, let us know how you go.

Double legs are allowed but only under particular circumstances.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  4. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Two words: don't bother. We just had a rather large rule change - no grabbing at the legs unless used as a counter or part of a combination, so unless you know some throws rather than takedowns, you're gonna get creamed.

5. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

The emphasis in Judo is on the throwing and if you land on your back you lose, if you don't land on your back you may well get hurt. So unless your throwing game is up there I don't see the point. The double leg ( morote gari) is a judo throw but a recent rule change in some of the judo organizations doesn't allow you to attack the legs straight away. I not 100% clear on when it's allowed and when it's not. Also there has to be constant progression on the ground or they will just stand you back up.

6. Omicron

Omicron is around.

I dunno, I can't see any harm in it if you think of it as a learning experience. "Don't bother" isn't a great approach to take if you want to learn things.

Like righty said, make sure your gi is up to specifications; there are different requirements for sleeve and leg length/opening size in judo and BJJ. Also, as has been suggested, it's a great idea to get a judoka to explain a few basic things to you. Maybe consider dropping in to a few judo classes at a local club before you do the tourney...? Even a couple classes should be very revealing of the different approach to training, especially with your BJJ experience.

Definitely acquaint yourself with the rules too. You can lose by being thrown, and the ref will often stand you both back up again in situations where they wouldn't in BJJ. For example, judoka love to turtle/flatten out, because many refs will immediately stop the fight and stand it up again. It's a useful strategy given that trend in judo rules, so you should know about it and think about how to deal with it.

Like I said though, spending a few hours training in judo would be a great asset if you're serious about learning. You might also be interested in checking out Guerrilla Jiu Jitsu by Dave Camarillo. He's a noted judoka turned BJJ'er, and his book is a great crossover between the two styles.

7. Linds

Linds Valued Member

Righty and Omicron have good advice. Also stand up straight rather than crouching like you would in BJJ. And try not to mention you do BJJ at all. Some judoka have a massive stick up their ass about those two things.

8. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

If you have the time and will, why not.

Even if you get trounced, at least you'll get some perspective on things.

9. Omicron

Omicron is around.

This is good advice, too. When our BJJ school first started bringing judo instructors in, they just DESTROYED everyone because of that hunched over BJJ stance.

10. roninmaster

how is the hunched over stance a disadvantage? what takedowns benefit from that stance?

11. righty

righty Valued Member

The hunched/leaning over stance is actually a very defensive stance. Being upright means you are much more mobile in both attack and defence. I would say the vast majority of throws are easier to complete with an upright and balanced posture.

12. kokanut

kokanut New Member

judo tournament

Go for it, but read the rules first. The new rule changes are still in transition, I'm finding out more and more about them as time goes by. It is almost all stand up but if you go down you will most likely be held down or submited. Good luck and let us know how you did.

13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The leaning over stance will force your center to be forward. If your opponent gets hold of your upper collar. it will be easier for him to pull you forward and downward.

Testing your skill against people from other styles will help you to readjust your training. It's a win-win situation IMO.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  14. roninmaster

well this is how it went

i got there and i signed up for nogi submission wrestling as well as judo, at my sensai's descretion.

it was much more organized then the arnold classic which i went to in march, so alot less waiting, but also less people. the fights started up, and it was me vs a pudgy middle eastern fellow. to my surprise, i actually won that one. kinda got lucky though. he went for a uchimata and messed up so i landed on top of him. i basically just rolled over and arm bared.

the next match.... wasn't as lucky... i dislocated my shoulder getting hip thrown. least i think that what it was.either way it hurt a whole lot so much that the guy, being very nice felt bad and bought me something to drink. I was just mad that i now couldn't do nogi, however i got my reimbursement for it.

i dont know how sensai feels bout the entire thing since only his son new about the ordeal. guess i will find out this week.

and that has been my experience with Judo. I will now go back to the BJJ and submission grappling/MMA forums. and leave you shoulder dislocating punks to yourselves here on MAP. lol.

15. righty

righty Valued Member

Tough luck. To be honest I would expecting you to get disqualified but I didn't think you'd get injured.

Did the shoulder go when you landing or during the throw?

Hope you get back to the mat soon and heal up quick.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  16. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Wow dude...sorry to hear about your shoulder. Shoulder injuries suck big time. Hope that clears up for you OK.

Hopefully you'll look back on it as a learning experience. Now you've gotten a bit of flavour and first-hand experience of judo (and why many consider it to be the best art for self defense). Maybe one day you'll feel like you wanna change up your game a bit and you'll find yourself drawn back to judo. Or maybe not. Either way, good on ya for getting out to the tourney.

17. Shadowgrappler

Shadowgrappler New Member

Luckily for me my BJJ school teaches Judo on fridays.We start rolling from a standing posistion to work on our takedowns on this day,our judo trainer was a bronze medal winner in the 2000 sydney olympics,so we have a pretty darn good takedown coach.I do however know that alot of BJJ schools don't even bother to teach or learn proper takedowns,but thank god mine does:hat:

18. shouldercarge

shouldercarge Valued Member

where do you train shadow?