Prats in Japan

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Dunc, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

So how can we stop the idiots with zero social skills or personal awareness turning up at training in Japan?

2. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

It's going to take knowledge of more languages than English and Japanese, that's for sure.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

So how can we stop the idiots with zero social skills or personal awareness turning up at training in Japan?

Take away your passport?

:)

4. spidersfrommars

spidersfrommars Valued Member

Damn it, I was going to make that joke *shakes fist at PASmith*

5. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

We can't. The ability to train in Japan is based on having the money necessary to get there, this seems to me to have rather poor correlation with skill or temperament.

Although instructors may be able to coach their students, it probably isn't the teachers who are worrying about this, or their students, that are the problem (I imagine).

Maybe the best we can do is encourage people to speak up when they see something out of line irrespective of what they believe is their place in the imaginary pecking order. Maybe not a bad lesson independent of whether or not someone is in Japan, the UK, or anywhere else. (Clearly there are better and worse ways to do this, of course!)

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Lock Hatsumi's front door? Bah-zing!!!!
    I done you Ninja's there. Done you right up.

7. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

You do know that he doesn't live in Honbu, right?

8. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Train with them HARD.:evil:

9. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Yeah, cool thing is, it's still his door.

10. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

That's how you become one of them. If you're training in Honbu or Ayase, that is.

11. baldrick

baldrick Valued Member

Oh no, what have they done now?

It was getting bad a few days after DKMS last year, e.g. people swinging bokken/shinai around in the Hombu and trying to do throws and take downs when it was almost shoulder to shoulder. And they look at you as if it is your fault that you happen to be in the way!

Some people just don't seem to be able to read the situation and adapt their training to the current circumstances. A quote I recently came across seems to sum things up quite nicely: 'kuuki yomenai' , meaning 'can't understand the atmosphere or circumstances.'

Dave.

http://www.bujinkansevenoaksdojo.org/

12. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Unless it's your own dojo in Japan that you're talking about and the people with "zero social skills or personal awareness" are your students or prospective students at your dojo, absolutely nothing.

I'm trying to imagine the arrogance involved in walking into someone's dojo, whether in Japan or otherwise, and attempting to tell him who he should or should not allow at his dojo (unless one has some sort of authority over the instructor of said dojo).

13. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

We could gather a bunch of us somewhat (I hope) reasonable people and send Soke a letter with our signatures on it addressing the problem, I suppose that's something. After all, that was the procedure he said we should use if we really wanted someone expelled.

14. Bruce_Lee93

Bruce_Lee93 Martial Movie Addict

Make them spar with all the people in the room before they can enter the dojo.... Don't think that they'd be so keen afterwards. LOL

15. Kurtka Jerker

I feel like I'm taking the bait, but whatever. Would you just have a list of people, or a profile?

16. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

As long as we all get together seriously, and don't just create another tiresome facebook group about it, it could theoretically work with enough people involved.

17. Toki_Nakayama

Toki_Nakayama Valued Member

in Korea this issue is usually solved with a swift kick to the face.

18. Kurtka Jerker

I'm asking how you'd specify who to kick, much less justify it to those in charge, not whether it could work. I'm pretty sure on the latter.

19. Manga

Manga Moved On

Ah, you have to love those self-appointed lynching parties! Soon, if you people have your way, you'll be using weight of numbers to try to force people out. Oh it will start with good intentions and then it will become politics like it always does.

Just worry about your own training :rolleyes:

20. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Now just where did you get the idea that I wanted anyone thrown out?
    I just want a decent training environment. You know, the type where you don't get kicked in the head every time you hit the floor and you don't have to put up with asshats countering out of sync.