How has Karate improved your life?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Ryan-T, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Ryan-T

Ryan-T Shito-Ryu

As a new student I'm really curious to see the long term effects of Karate on other people.

Has it made you more disciplined? confident? healthier? If so, in what ways?

Thanks for your time :).

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

how has karate NOT improved my life would be a better question

without karate i don't exist

3. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I'm still alive, thats good enough for me.

4. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

I get to hit people without them complaining... much ;)

Gary

5. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

It made me realise I like teaching and taught me the importance of repetition. ;)

6. locust

locust Like a biblical plague

I would say it helped allot with self discipline as well as perseverance towards a set goal (i so wanted a black belt as a kid) but i think the most important lesson for me was the respect for sensei/other students that transfered into my dealing with other people.
    Untill they attacked me then i got to beat the snot out of them :evil:

7. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Ditto, homie, I'd have to say the same. When I joined Shotokan more than 3 months ago now I got stronger in every way possible. while I still have self esteem issues, I made some great friends, got some great senseis who I love and dote on and they love me, when i think of my life more than 3 months ago....though I skated, my life was no comparison to how I feel now. :) I actually - while i liked getting my degree, I really dont like sedentary stuff and thats what uni is. Yer just sittin and studying or writing essays. I love this new life of mine - Karate-do....even more than I liked university life, and most of the time that was ok too (did do a lot of activities I enjoyed) but....still. One of the things I noticeds is that much of the time people disrespected me. and that was true in university a lot of the time. In Karate-do, respecting people is paramount. and because this is so, they enforce discipline. In the dojo where everyone respects and likes everyone, I feel safe and happy, things I often didnt feel in life a lot. and well....I am good at it and the artistry involved allowed me to express more of myself and be myself through the techniques and through Kata. The fact that there is also philosophy and spirituality involved is also a factor. Because I am that. I feel....so empowered. Master Sensei Funakoshi's way of life and art is just so....me. :)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  8. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

In some ways that's a difficult question.

I now find it hard to remember precisely who I was before I started training as over half my life has been spent in Karate.

I took up a martial art to help me control my temper. I took up Shotokan because it was on my doorstep with 17 hours of lessons a week. I stuck with it (Shotokan) initially because it's a great form of varied physical exercise. I carried on training because it raised so many questions.

So how has it changed my life? Well, it's made me more knowledgeable on a huge range of subjects, it's enabled me to stay calm under pressure, it's kept me alive in awkward situations, and it's given me a reason to keep going when i've been terminally ill. It's also enabled me to teach and make a difference to hundreds of people in person and thousands of people via other mediums.

9. mlporter

mlporter Valued Member

Hi

I have been studying and practicing Shotokan Karate for about 6 months now, and I would definatly say it has had a positive influence on my life.

First off, Me and my daughter have something we can enjoy together. She's at an age (10) where she's yearning for more independence, so to have that time and common interest is great.

Health-wise, despite an injury, I've felt better than I have in years, probably since I was a child. I feel stronger and my stamina is great - I can rung rings around my two techies at work - one aged 19 and the other early 20's.

My confidence is naturally quite low, and yet with Karate, its improving no end. One lesson, my Sensei asked me to lead the class through a drill (Age-Uke, five times forward and back). I remember walking up to the front of the class, and feeling myself shaking. This was a class with 10th Kyu's, like myself, up to 1st Kyu's. Afterwards though, I felt great, and went on to have a fantastic lesson. This confidence carries forward into my personal and professional life too.

I train at home every morning and evening before and after work, just going through some warm ups, then some drills and Katas. This releases a lot of stress for me, especially after getting home from work.

My mental concentration has improved. I have to study alot for my job, and I've found the best way to settle myself down to study is perform Heian Shodan a few times before getting the books out. It sort of clears my head, ready to recieve new information.

Last, and by no means least, I've met some great people, including my Sensei, who I look forward to continuing to learn from and learn with, for many years to come.

Maria

10. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

It taught me to overcome challenges rather than people.

11. That's a great endorsement for martial arts in general.

12. Blade96

your sensei asked you to take the class while doing jodan age ukes? Thats great, Maria! :)

On Friday my sensei asked me to count to ten in Japanese while led the class through Gedan Barai's. we all did that twice, not just once.

I considered it an honor, even though we all did it, one after the other, with all blocks, even a side-snap kick, but I felt so proud to do it!

and I always do my Heian Shodan every single day plus blocks, stances, and kicks and punches.

you are lucky to have a family member, your daughter liking it as well. No one else in my family likes martial arts.

of course my dad and I enjoy hockey together, but, still.

13. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

It taught you the importance of what? ;)

Gary

14. mlporter

mlporter Valued Member

Thats a pretty tidy summary. Nice.

Cheers. Just to add, I did not mean to imply that Karate is the only martial art that could offer me this. It just happens to be the one recommended to me by a colleague/ friend.

Its a great feeling, leading a group like that, isn't it? The respect and support of the other students is great.

15. Blade96

Amazing! *Sighs happily* :) Simply amazing. I've never felt so wonderful in my life.

Shotokan is giving me everything I never believed or felt I had, like the confidence and self esteem I needed.

and even more special because I've only been doing it for 3 months. You been at it for 6, but the senseis, knowing we are good, that we are worthy of this after just 3 months. What a feeling.

I've always been going through life wishing for help from life's demons.

'please set me free!"

Shotokan is helping me, finally, to be able to spread my wings.

and performing in the competition...well I cant find a word in the english language to describe the awesome feeling that represented for me. for me that was the realization of a dream I'd had since I was 14. that one day I'd compete, in artistic endevors that involved a physical action.

Now I'm a medal winning Shotokanka, and I've neverlooked back. :)

16. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Wow!

That last post scared me a bit.

Gary

17. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

It's fantastic. Until you forget something or get something wrong! :p

18. John Titchen

:thinking:That's how Wado Ryu was created!:evil::jester:

:whistle:

19. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Alternatively, you can train for a couple of years, make some stuff up and then write a book about it....:evil::jester:

20. John Titchen

Couple??? LOL

:)

Nice one. :star: