Koryu Scotland

Discussion in 'Koryu Bujutsu' started by Systematic, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Systematic

Systematic New Member

Is there any genuine Koryu in Scotland?

Sys...

2. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

There is Koryu Jujitsu club who train in Easterhouse Sports Centre.

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Just on what you've said that doesn't sound very koryu-ish

4. adouglasmhor

I might have spelled Juijutsu wrong - but all the spellings are wrong anyway :D

5. adouglasmhor

And it does say koryu budo on their leaflets

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Yeah but generally you don't come out with "koryu jujutsu" on your marketing, if anything I would expect to see what ryu it is. If they were to be so public.

7. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Do you know which ryugi/ryuha that would be?

8. adouglasmhor

Not a clue - I do body pump there on different nights from when they train. And different classes in a different centre when they do train. The leaflet did say Koryu Budo though. Underneath the bit that said Juijutsu. The one time I did see them they were doing ukemi and some of the senior grades were doing sword (and not that well IMO and I am no sworsdsman).

9. Kogusoku

If that's the case, I'd be very sceptical if it were real koryu. One thing, we don't usually advertise so blatantly. Another, if we were to, it would be via a website and there would be an interview process to weed out the crazies and anime wannabes.

Mind you, not every ryuha has the same advertisement policies.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  10. adouglasmhor

Crazies and anime wanabees
    It's OK we get them instead.

11. Kogusoku

I have noticed. ;)

(Just kiddin'!)

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  13. Kogusoku

Hmm, I wouldn't go as far as to call Moto-ha Yoshin-ryu a koryu. It's more a modern offshoot of a koryu with certain classical trappings.

It's an offshoot of Hontai Yoshin-ryu jujutsu. Yasumoto Akiyoshi was a student of the 17th soke of Hontai Yoshin-ryu, Minaki Saburo and recieved Menkyo Kaiden and an 8th dan in the ryuha (Some koryu have allowed dan/kyu grades to seep in to their traditions). He was later allowed to form his own style, and that is pretty much what Moto-ha Yoshin-ryu is.

As I wrote before, not a koryu, but a gendai budo that is an offshoot of a koryu.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  14. Ikai

Ikai Valued Member

Hello, in your opinion what makes it a gendai budo instead of a koryu like Hontai yoshin ryu?

I have watched some clips on youtube and it looks very similar to Hontai yoshin ryu. I can see similarities with other lines of Takagi ryu too.

Do the ryugi and mokuroku differ that much?

15. Kogusoku

Of course it looks similar to Hontai Yoshin-ryu, the founder of Moto-ha Yoshin-ryu was a student and menkyo kaiden recipient of HYR. Takagi-ryu is extant in Japan in many lines Hontai Yoshin-ryu is one of them. In fact, it's full official name IIRC is Hontai Yoshin-ryu Takagi-ryu.

What makes it a gendai? The fact that it was incepted and founded in the late 20th century. The founder of Moto-ha Yoshin-ryu was born in the 1930's, recieved his menkyo kaiden in the early 1980's. Chronologically, it's a gendai. Also, some of the techniques are slightly different from the mainline.

Koryu are classical schools of Japanese martial arts that were developed prior to the Meiji restoration of 1868.

16. jameswhelan

jameswhelan Valued Member

Hi Kogusoku,

Similarly, as you point out, Hontai Yoshin ryu was incepted and founded in the mid-to-late 20th century. Is it your opinion that Hontai Yoshin ryu is also therefore, gendai?

17. Kogusoku

No James, I pointed out that Moto-ha Yoshin-ryu was incepted in the late 20th century, specifically in the early - mid 1980's.

Hontai Yoshin-ryu comes from the Ishiya (Sometimes pronounced Ishitani) line of Takagi-ryu and has direct lineage from Kakuno Masayoshi. Tsutsui Tomotaro became soke of Takagi-ryu while Minaki Saburo became soke of Hontai Yoshin-ryu Takagi-ryu via direct transmission from the prior soke, Kakuno Masayoshi. (The names and subnames of each line get rather confusing when you look at all the lines of Takagi-ryu that are out there.)

Moto-ha Yoshin-ryu comes from the Hontai Yoshin-ryu line and is therefore a Bunpa (an offshoot) of that line, using an almsot identical syllabus of techniques.

It's a gendai with heavy koryu trappings, but nontheless a gendai.

18. jameswhelan

jameswhelan Valued Member

Hi Kogusoku,

So to be clear, Kakuno was the Soke of two lines:

Takagi ryu
    Hontai Yoshin ryu Takagi Ryu

Minaki was nominated by Kakuno as his successor as Soke of Hontai Yoshin ryu Takagi ryu. (Later renamed Fumon Yoshin ryu and then Hontai Yoshin ryu.)

That's different from what I heard - thanks.

What about Hontai Yoshin ryu's Jujutsu Roppo (if that's the correct term?). Wasn't this developed by Minaki sensei? What is your opinion of this part of their curriculum vis-à-vis koryu?

19. Ikai

Ikai Valued Member

Maybe it would be better to open a new thread specifically on Hontai Yoshin Ryu Takagi Ryu lineages?

20. Kogusoku

The soke of a ryuha once in the seat of power can pretty much do what he/she wishes in the ryuha, concerning the licencing parameters, teaching methods, or even reorganizing the mokuroku.