FQ presents... Taiji Ruler!

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Fire-quan, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Like it says in the blurb, I don't particularly practise or recomend this - it's just one of the things I happen to know, and over the years I've been particularly amazed at how low quality the taiji ruler stuff out there is. So I thought I'd just throw a video together.

If you haven't got a partner for push hands, then this kind of training can, along with some other stuff, keep at least some of your fluidity and skill alive, I guess, but I'd much rather do push hands with a partner, given the choice.

Enjoy!

Or not.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFAlbEALSrk"]YouTube - Taiji ruler[/ame]

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

interesting. there are similar drills in goju done with the chishi (big stick with a concrete disk at one end), although they're used more to develop strength for the gross motion of karate's hooking block

3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Interesting stuff FQ :) Thanks for posting!

Also, I suggest you take a still shot of yourself doing that cheeky grin and the thumbs up and make it your avatar. You look so happy :)

4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

nice, thanks for that. I have a similar size stick at home that I havn't used for anything for ages.. It is a stick right?

I think it would be fun to play around with in that fashion, I'll have to give it a go. it's good to get some focus for solo training sometimes, something to feel rather than just air. I saw a lot of good practice of cai(plucking) there. I think just to train that even would be very useful. other movements too - cool.

5. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

I thought you were on holiday!

Yeah, it's a stick - it's actually just the largest diameter piece of dowling that they had at Do It All - about, well, twenty years ago. Man, where does the time go? Oh yeah - in hours twirling a stick! Aya!

6. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

leaving tomorrow ! Catching the tube to airport about 6pm

wooohoo!! :)

7. Puzzled Dragon

Puzzled Dragon Valued Member

Nice, but why 'Tai-Chi' - ruler?

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

because it is done with tai chi's tui shou exercises?