kung fu vs karate in the cage?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by sho'nuff, Sep 8, 2009.

1. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Valued Member

so im sure some of you guys already heard that sifu novell bell(black taoist) and sensei Mo(Mahliel Bethea) will be competeing in the cage in the mma flavor using there respective styles. sensei mo is a expert of the art of shotokan karate and believes kung fu to be a joke. sifu bell is very well respected teacher and fighter with a vast understanding of kung fu but he will be using his core systems which he is known for baquazhang/xing yi. the event will take place December 18,2009 at Essex County College,Newark,New Jersey.

this event will actually mean alot more then just a kung fu guy and a karate guy fighting in the cage. 1. it will show that real kung fu skill tho watered down for sport can be used in the cage if a person really wanted to do it. 2. the age old battle between kung fu and karate will be on display. what i really like about this event is that these are two great martial artist not just two anybodies from anywhere. anybody who knows kung fu/wudang(interenal systems) knows the name black taoist and i could not hope for a better representative to show off the beautiful culture we have come to love and respect in the chinese martial arts!

2. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Sounds great! Looking forward to it! Hopefully a vid will be made available :)

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It should be an interesting watch

4. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

Whats this about then

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

a shotokan "expert", who believes kung fu is a joke? and wants a challenge match just to prove it? that's no karateka. i'm rooting for sifu bell

6. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Valued Member

im sure it. sifu bell tends to put everything on video

7. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Valued Member

well brother, most systems of martial arts go way beyound the punch and kic. like poking the eyes, throat grabs, breaking bones and so on. since mma is a sport it has rules and of course none of the above things can be used so in essence it will be some sort of watered down kung fu and karate but that is not a bad thing for sport. we do want these people live after this fight. one thing that was said by both sifu bell and sensi mo is that they will not conform the fight to look like some sort of kickboxing match but use there systems of combat. i cant wait

8. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Valued Member

sensi mo is very very good at shotokan and black taoist is one hell of a fighter. to get a preview check out there youtube pages and see whats in store. this is gonna be good for karate and kung fu. cant wait

9. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Valued Member

but its all in good taste brother i promise. they are good friends and have a high respect for each other even tho sensi mo thinks kung fu is a joke. but i have a feeling he will be singing another tune come december. i have seen sifu novell fight and see him fight in china also and i can say i have totally faith that he will do right by us.

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

cool. i still think the guy shows a lot of disrespect, from what you say, regardless of his shotokan expertise. besides, a karateka who thinks kung fu is a joke is really disrespecting karate itself too.

11. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Valued Member

i hear what your saying bro. i actually know many karateka that say the same thing about kung fu. i cant say that about karate because thats where i got my start(well first judo at the ymca, then karate) so i have totally respect for karate.

12. NUKKY

NUKKY Valued Member

are they similar height , weight ,fitness level?

13. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

The only match that i want to see with karate vs kf is very few rules and full contact.

14. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Yea.. I kinda heard about a match happening.. Well I hope they do show off their respective arts well. It will be interesting to see how that pans out.

I mean did you see the street fight between Maoshan(bagua) and the 52 blocks guy ?

But yea top respect to BT, I hope he smashes it in style. :)

15. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Agreed. It will be very interesting to see this match. Hopefully, someone will post a link to the video here. I've always admired BT's emphasis that the internal arts are for fighting.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Don't know the guys but I predict some wild swinging, bad clinching, even worse groundwork, someone will fall over and very little "style" in evidence.
    I'd love to be proved wrong though. :)

17. spidersfrommars

spidersfrommars Valued Member

This has the potential to be be slapstick gold. But its got me thinking, a match between a young cung le and lyoto machida would be totally epic... this however well, probably not so much.

18. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

FREAKIN AWESOME!!!

That is going to be great!

19. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Valued Member

pretty much but black taoist is taller then sensi mo

20. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Valued Member

yes i did and i also seen when he fought against the bejing, china team also. you gotta see him in the park in harlem. the way he breaks down kung fu and more specif baqua for the street is crazy. he said he took what he learned from his teachers and made it his own with out adding what he felt was right or wrong. very traditional and very deadly for the street.