Kunoichi

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Kunoichi29, Aug 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kunoichi29

Kunoichi29 Valued Member

Do you know what the origin of the word "Kunoichi" is?

Ku No Ichi means "Nine plus One".
    It refers to the amount of holes on the human body.

A guy has 9 (count 'em yourselves, fellas, I'm not making a list!) and a lady has one extra. Hence "9 plus one" - Kunoichi.

As I said to my new friend the Green Lantern in my intro thread, I was referred to as "Kunoichi" by Sensei at a Tai Kai, which is still nice, even considering the origin of the word! In one of his books he refers to Hayes 'wife as "The Kunoichi Rumiko", so it's good comapny to be in.

I myself prefer "Ninja Babe" so I'll be using that on my sig.

It's important not to take these things too seriously!

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Cool she knows comics!

:cool:

:D

3. YellowFury

YellowFury Valued Member

I only count 8 on males.

Via wiki

The term is thought to derive from the names of characters that resemble the three strokes in the kanji character for woman (女, onna); said in the order they are written: ku (く) - no (ノ) - ichi (一).

Edit: also, it kinda seems weird to call someone "10 holes". Just sayin'

4. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

What in the hell

5. Ace of Clubs

Ace of Clubs Banned Banned

Thank you for that.

Makes a lot of sense looking at the kanji.

6. Labianca

Labianca Moving On

There are nine.. seven on the head alone if you include eye sockets. :)

7. Ur Anaite

Ur Anaite tabi cos only 2 toes

yeah great seven on the head, 1 butthole and one on the bell. Thats nine on a man... So where in beejeezus is the womans 10th hole, if it aint in her heart?

Personally I think Wiki has got it right, though another good one which only relates to the takamatsu den is that there are nine schools, none of which embody the particular movements of a woman, so the womans ninpo is those nine with a special feminine twist. Or perhaps even of the nine demons who transmitted the awesome information of the True way of moving were incomplete, for there is no demon as terrifying as a woman, and without her input mans trials, losses and goals are for nought?

But seriously, where is the womans tenth hole?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  8. spidersfrommars

spidersfrommars Valued Member

This discussion got awfully strange really fast...

9. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Yes, that is one of the theories regarding the origin of the word.

In Sôke's book Sengoku Ninpô Zukan he writes, as translated to english by Herman Kahn:

"...the real meaning of kunoichi is one upon nine. A man has nine holes. These are the two eyes, the two nostrils, ears, mouth, urethral opening and anus. Women in addition to these nine have the vagina. That is, one upon nine (ku-no-ichi). It is nine plus one, that is zero. Using this art of nine plus one, using the art of concealment are the techniques of subtle pereverance of the female ninja, the art of the kunoichi." (page 77 of the translation).

Needless to say, Sôke with all his knowledge and wisdom writes and says many things. Whether or not this is the "real" meaning or not should be left unsaid here by us, as there are other interpretations as well (for example the kanji onna taken apart into katakana).

10. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

there are movements for women in the ryuha of the bujinkan..

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  11. Ace of Clubs

Ace of Clubs Banned Banned

[​IMG]

Welcome to the twilight zone.

Look it's a hole within a hole.

12. Labianca

Labianca Moving On

Never said wiki didn't have it right. Just countering the 8 hole statement :)
    As to 10th, I'm not plumbed in the proper way to comment.

13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

14. spidersfrommars

spidersfrommars Valued Member

someone needs to buy Ur Anaite a playboy or something

15. YellowFury

YellowFury Valued Member

>_> I didn't think they would count the urethra (and eye sockets are kinda stretching it in my opinion, since it's only a hole when you pull something out >_<). Meh.

16. Ur Anaite

That is indeed the twilight zone. Spider; playboy doesn't display the urethra and kusa; it takes a certain kind of kink to explore the urethra, a kink that isn't reliant on age... so yeah. 26.

I concede that despite my explorations in female anatomy I have not yet been aware of encountering the urethra, and so assumed that it was a single hole whose passage divided further up the line. I guess my kinks never took me in search of that particular opening... what kind of ninja am I?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  17. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I have to say.

I've seen some weird stuff in the Ninjutsu forum. This comes in second to Mr. Seago's poem.

Congratulation.

18. Talon987

Talon987 Valued Member

I want to ask for a link but i'm scared... sooo scared...

19. Ur Anaite

Benkyoka, (or anyone else who knows) In which ryu and what are these called please? Are there actual waza specifically for women (or warriors pretending to be women) or is it in the form of additional Notes?

Also, I thought 'no' meant 'in/of' rather than 'plus/addition.'

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  20. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

I leave this forum for a day or two just so people can get normal posts and look what happens.

Lost my crown now (or is that down to another hole?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.