FMA in Glasgow

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by chinaski, May 24, 2009.

1. chinaski

chinaski New Member

Hello to all,

I'm interested in doing some sort of FMA up here in Glasgow but the places i've managed to locate so far ar Krauseworld and a Doce Pares club over on the Southside, which is a bit of a trek for me. I've never trained FMA before, so i don't mind what's on offer, just that its in the Centre or West of toon.

Anyone know of any teachers/clubs etc? I've done a bit of bjj, thai, western boxing, karate over the years but have never quite found the place to set me on fire...but i'm getting a wee bit of a tingle from some of the stuff i've been watching online...!

Help would be much appreciated,

Chinaski

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I know there's DBMA (Dog Brothers MA) up in Glasgow run by a MAPer. No idea where in Glasgow it is, but you can always contact Hig about it.

http://www.myspace.com/DogBrothersUK

3. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

You can contact an acquaintance of mine who runs rapid arnis.. He is one of the main guys of the FMA in the UK area.. He might know who is available in Glasgow. Pat O'Malley is his name and his website is www.rapidarnis.com

4. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Drop me a line via my email address on www.isfma.org.uk and I can forward details of a representative of Bakbakan International who is on your doorstep.

if you have any questions regarding the FMA, please feel free to ask either on this forum or via email.

Regards

Peter

5. chinaski

chinaski New Member

Thanks everyone, that's a great help.

Peter, i'll email you at the address you posted. I have only a vague idea of the differences of emphasis in the various styles, so i shall do a bit of Bakbakan research online.

Thanks again to all who replied.

Nick

6. tonglonglengjai

tonglonglengjai Valued Member

Hi,

Try out the Doce Pares club there. Brian and his guys are great. Can't speak for anyone else.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

7. Gerry Casey

Gerry Casey Valued Member

Hi,

I realise this is an old thread but thought it would be useful to update everyone on the Dog Brothers Martial Arts class in Glasgow.

A formal class resumed in Glasgow in November 2010 (after a spell without any due to other commitments) with myself running them. If anyone wants any details they can PM me or look up the details on the Dog Brothers Scotland site. http://www.dogbrothersscotland.co.uk

We will be more active now with the regular class and organising seminars, like the one in March with "Lonely Dog", again details can be found on the website.

Gerry "C-Celtic Dog"

8. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Hey Gerry!

Nice website, you should give your webmaster a pay rise! ;)

9. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Would that be the very sAme guy who is also
    A Rapid Arnis Instructor and a person who gained his black belt in Doce Pares under 7 GM's at the DP HQ in Cebu City Philippines ;-) plus trained in a few other systems to boot. Probably the most knowledgable guy in Glasgow on the FMA of various systems. Eh Peter :)

10. Pat OMalley

Oh did I mention he is also Doce Pares world champ. British Arnis alliance champ world Arnis alliance silver medalist and has fought in Black Eagle NHB stick fighting and one of Brtains top Wing Chun practitioners.

11. Gerry Casey

Gerry Casey Valued Member

I will double what I pay him :)

PS You need to update your signature the dates for Ben are the 12 & 13 of March.

12. Freeform

Oops! :D

Sorted!

13. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Correct Pat Man :)

14. Pat OMalley

Thought so :) if it's quality authentic FMA you want from a guy who has a good spectrum of numerous systems in the Philippines and who has trained there with some of the best then Paul is your man in Glasgow.

15. Freeform

Paul Smith? I thought he was living in Edinburgh again? I know he has a WC club in Glasgow, but that's run by Brian (last name escapes me right now).

16. Pat OMalley

He also teaches in Glasgow every week has done for some time.

17. cuttinabout

cuttinabout New Member

This thread is a bit old but I was wondering if there is anywhere that still does FMA type stuff in Glasgow?

I see there's a Dog Brothers thing at the Griphouse but silat ikhtiar have stopped doing classes and I've had no reply from Doce Pares in the Southside.

18. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

was going to suggest the dog brothers class at the Grip, don't no of anything else though, why not give the class a try. Freeform is still a regular poster he will probably know what happened to the other clubs and if any of them are still going.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  19. cuttinabout

cuttinabout New Member

I've given them an email and hopefully going to give it a bash next week. Should be a good laugh.

20. tonglonglengjai

tonglonglengjai Valued Member

Brian and the Guba Doce Pares crew are still doing their thing in Glasgow and maybe roll up to class and introduce yourself if you don't get a email reply.

Paul Smith is top class but did not suggest him as I thought he was in Edinburgh.

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk