My question for the ninjas

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Infrazael, May 8, 2009.

1. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

What makes ninjutsu attractive to you, and why do you choose to train in it. Also what benefits do you find in ninjutsu that you think other martial art don't possess. Or in other words, unique attribute regarding ninjutsu, such as training method, fighting, whatever.

This is a serious question. Thanks.

2. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

What makes ninjutsu interesting is the idea that you might one day actually be taught some, once you've gotten the hang of taijutsu.

3. Ace of Clubs

Ace of Clubs Banned Banned

What makes ninjutsu attractive to you!
    1. For the ladies.

Why do you choose to train in it
    2. For the men.

What benefits do you find in ninjutsu that you think other martial art don't possess.
    3. Where else can you learn Hojojutsu and pressure points :hat:

Tying people up, tickling their pressure points and ... said too much.

Ninjutsu, goes well with iron penis kung fu.

4. Decision Tree

Decision Tree Valued Member

In answer to the OPs question.

Personally, I really enjoy the amount of material covered and availiable in the Bujinkan. We train unarmed - there is so much to learn about balance, distance, timing. You can see improvement by the way you automatically take up a dominant position in relation to your opponent - these are tangiable assets from a self defence point of view.

We train with many different types of weapons including knifes and sticks plus more traditional weapons such as swords. We can throw and strike - there are no 'rules' as such as we are not restricted in ways some other competetive arts are. We train 1vs1 and against multiple opponents. We cover protecting other people from attackers - again, armed and unarmed.

The training enourages creative thinking. The Ukemi training is really very very good. Rather than teaching simple breakfalls and rolls that you find taught elsewhere - dynamic ukemi is practiced. In fact, many techniques require excellent ukemi ability on behalf of the uke where there is no time to think about performing a particular roll or whatever. I'm not saying this is unique to the Bujinkan (I can only speak from my experience in the Bujinkan - the other organisations may well be the same?) In the last 5 years I've had to use that side of self defence/ self protection more than the hitting people bit!

You will find the training methods differ from dojo to dojo so I can only speak about where I train. The training is both structured and free flowing at the same time - if that makes sense! The instructor knows what he wants to cover but ideas and discussion can change the direction a class goes in. There is certainly respect in the dojo but acts of respect such as bowing before each 'opponent' is not common in the places I have trained. After a certian point in our training, we are free to attack our partners in any way we want and we concerntrate on learning principles rather than extremely structured movement that you may find in other arts. This is not to say our movement is not structured - it is very stuctured but more so by 'safe space' and 'good kamae' rather than 'your foot must go in this particular place' type stuff.

There is a lot more to write about but i've leave it at that for now.

5. Arashima

Arashima Banned Banned

Ninjutsu is fantastic.

People who are good at it can use it to win.

People who are bad at it can use it to die.

Fantastic!

6. stantonwarrior

stantonwarrior Valued Member

if you do it how its meant to be done, it works.

7. garth

garth Valued Member

Infrazael posted

I can dress up in a black suit and mask, and apart from becoming a terrorist is the closest I can get to being batman.

The politics is great.

it allows you to use dirty tricks like throwing things in people eyes which would be considered cowardly in other martial arts.

I like that ninja assasination move of stabbing people in the back. (Note you can find this technique discussed on all the ninjutsu forums)

Fighting, you mean we have to fight.

To hell with that, sounds too dangerous.

Any one want to buy some tabi and rubber shuriken?

Now wheres that book on crochet?

Garth

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  8. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

I just like it.

What separates ninpo from most other martial arts is diverse curriculum and superior beer. Of course, we cannot claim a monopoly on such, but it's still very much of interest.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Couldn't that be said of any martial art?

10. Ur Anaite

Ur Anaite tabi cos only 2 toes

I like to look at the extreme options. A man who wants to win a fight can either be very big and be able to take a lot of punishment or move in a way that means they don't take any punishment at all. I would prefer to not get hit in a fight than be able to take the hits.

That is extremes, ocourse I train to take hits aswell, and someone is always going to have a fast enough punch that you can't see it coming. But that is my main reasoning. Other martial arts have great avoidance and defensive tactics but none of them seem to focus on the way of moving that removes you from the attackers line of fire in the same way ninjutsu does.

11. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

To be honest, I don't see how this question applies specifically to ninjutsu... Couldn't we ask the same questions about any other art? i.e. Why do I train aikido, why does ap Owen train FMA, etc. etc.

12. Ur Anaite

Ur Anaite tabi cos only 2 toes

Using the same reasoning, I don;t see how any question can be applied specifically to anything.

If you ask a chef why they chose the kitchen and not the office, it is pretty obvious that the question applies specifially to a chef because you are asking them. You can't ask a chef why the chose to work in an office and not a kitchen, can you?

13. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

I just like the interplay between things.
    Certain lines in the Bujinkan have a different outlook on things like that from other arts. Some styles tend to gloss over or even shun politics, some tend to try and sterilize them, and some just treat them as a part of life to deal with and get back to training. The Bujinkan has sort of given me the mind to embrace politics and social grandstanding as a case study on kyojitsu.

It's the same with the physical sides of things. Some styles try to perfect every movement in the most antiseptic, precise environment possible. Some throw the ideas of perfection and imperfection out the window and judge things based on winning or losing. Here, I've found, it's more that imperfection is embraced and practiced. I get the image of someone moving with the timing of the waves on a boat as opposed to trying to be unaffected by them or simply avoiding boats entirely. I'm not sure if that makes much sense to anyoe but me, but that's the closest I can get to it.

All that's the main reason I post as much as I do, even at such a low rank and narrow understanding. It lets me fool around with and study the interplay between people. It's not like anybody "claimed" any one of the kihon happo without totally failing at it a thousand times first, you know?

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Of course you can.

"I like working with my hands."

"I like the creativity that cooking allows me."

"I find it rewarding to see people sit down and enjoy something I've prepared."

I was a career counselor for a while. And career counseling theory is heavily based on precisely the idea that you CAN get specific answers to specific questions about preference.

Introverts might not enjoy being car salesmen, for example. Conversely, a "people person" might not dig sitting in front of a computer all day writing code.

Questions about preference can be perfectly meaningful.

Stuart

15. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Why train in Ninjutsu?

I get to wear black.

Can't think of anything else really.

16. skuggvarg

skuggvarg Valued Member

Well, with legends like Takamatsu To*****ugu, Toda Shinryuken and lets not forget the current Soke; Masaaki Hatsumi, its an easy choice. Who wouldnt wanna train ninjutsu :hat:

Regards / Skuggvarg

17. Decision Tree

Decision Tree Valued Member

Yes. Hatsumi is awesome.

Been watching 2002 Taikai today - he is a fantastic martial artist and insipres a lot of people. I posted earlier but thought of something else.

Through the Bujinkan organisation that Hatsumi Sensei has created, I have met some very good friends, such as my instructor. It has also allowed me to keep in touch and connected to people who got me involved in the first place - we now share a common interest that we are passionate about. I have connections with people around town now from all walks of life in all sorts of different work. I doubt I would hav met these people without the Bujinkan.

I's getting to summer BBQ season and I'm looking forwad to re connecting with my martial friends once again.

haha - In the Martix reloaded I think, this guy says something like 'You never really know someone until you fight them.' Well, I suppose if that's true, I know a fair few people pretty well now and all the better for it.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  18. cx4

cx4 Valued Member

I like playing with muggers. They're fun and nobody minds if you break them...

19. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Not according to my experience...

20. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Video or it did not happen.