WUSHU IN EDINBRUGH

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by franwushu, Apr 26, 2009.

1. franwushu

franwushu flip and flap

hi pals I am francisco from venezuela 15 years old Ive got a year un wushu in my countr but I am going to edinbrugh to practice wushu I ve been there before looking fore wushu academies but I have not foun them I need some help to try to find a wushu academie I am norhten (wish comes form norther shaolin) many long and acrobatic movemnets high jumps and that please help.....:bang::woo:cause I going crazy looking for wushu in edinbrugh online

2. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

DOnt go to crazy,, there is none in edinburgh. or at least it aint advertised.
    There was a couple of schools about 15 years ago. there was a school in Aberdeen that a bunch of hardcore guys who traveled to china to train. i remember sparring with one when i was doing tkd and get my head to play with.

3. franwushu

franwushu flip and flap

hmm

there ust be wushu is such a important sport I cdant belive they have things such as kendo and they don have wushu that is starting to become an olimpic sport

4. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

5. Decision Tree

Decision Tree Valued Member

Wushu - is starting to become an Olympic sort. On what planet?

6. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

7. franwushu

franwushu flip and flap

on this planet big head did you not see the las t olimpic games Wushu was entered as an exibition sport in paralel competiotions but aparently this year it will be introduced as an olimpic sport in wich martial art planet do you live you thought that only taekwondo was in the olimpic games?:bang::woo::topic:

8. franwushu

franwushu flip and flap

9. franwushu

franwushu flip and flap

10. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

hey big boy, real it in, before you start having a hissy fit at others, get your facts right first

http://www.olympic.org/uk/organisation/c...

Next bet would be the 2016 Summer Games (when they will go back to 28 sports) and I'm afraid very remote as Wushu did not make the short list of 7 sports with an 8th sport to be voted on in 2009 for 2 spots. Other problem is Karate made the list another martial arts (not to mention the Olympics have Judo and Taekwondo.

11. franwushu

franwushu flip and flap

the page you gave me no longer exist what a big sustaints of facts I my self am a practicer of the sport and I shal give you prove of what I say ...(sorry for my english it is not my native language [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey3Au_dkUKM"]YouTube - Olimpiadas de Pequim 2008 - Wushu (nanquan men)[/ame] ande here is the one in discusion of the article you may see it for youre self china its self requested it well just wacht this video and youle see [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuX7dJaMU5I"]YouTube - WUSHU IN THE 2008 BEIJING OLYMPIC GAMES 〠WUSHUSINFRONTERA.COM 武术[/ame]

12. franwushu

franwushu flip and flap

for now this is what is kown about the subject
    :woo::):topic: China has pushed unsuccessfully to have the ancient martial art of wushu — better known as kung fu outside of China — included as a demonstration sport in the 2008 Olympics. Instead, the International Olympic Committee has granted permission for an international wushu competition alongside the Games, something Chinese state media are promoting as an Olympic showcasing of the sport.
    Sam Beattie has more about wushu from Dengfeng, a small town in Central China's Henan Province where tens of thousands of students receive wushu training.

We saw just one class in a school of 20,000 students. Their studies focus on learning wushu, the Chinese term for martial arts.

Four hours a day, six days a week — even during school holidays such as the day we visited — students train here in an unheated building for an upcoming competition. It is drummed into them: practice makes perfect.

Jiao Ruiping is a wushu student. She says, "For example, when there is a move that you cannot get right, the coach will ask you to repeat it again and again, until you do not have any energy left to practice, but you still have to keep on practicing."

Boys and girls as young as six years old come here from across the country. They are drawn by the reputation of a school that has produced a host of wushu champions.

Students say dreams of glory get them through the long days — practice on top of normal school studies — and cramped nights, living 10 to a room in a school dormitory.

Student Ye Fangs says, "Except for the classes and wushu, there is nothing else to do. Everyday is just study and training, nothing else."

Even though the sport is not officially part of the Olympics, the coaches hope it one day will be.

Coach Cha Huimin says the art of wushu is treasured in China. "I think every Chinese person is really hoping that more people from around the world will learn about wushu, to understand it or to even practice it, to spread the art of it, because wushu is a treasure of China."

Though wushu athletes will not taste Olympic glory, the sport may still be the key to these students' futures. It can lead them to sporting universities, and to jobs in the military and as coaches. For a few, it can also lead to fame as martial arts stars in film and theater.

Published byVoice of America

13. franwushu

franwushu flip and flap

and i forgot about judo ....... which is a bunch of very cool and efective grapling technics wich are also faound in sanshou or sand which is the combat mode of wushu ( wushu divides in two like many martial arts taolu (kata or routines) or sanda(sanshou combats person to person cumite ...... ETC)

14. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

15. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I think that Sanda would make a good Olympic sport. It's got a mix of techniques that no other Olympic sport currently has (judo is just grappling, boxing is just punching, TKD is essentially just kicks), while still being more palatable to the "don't-want-to-see-blood" IOC than other mixed-martial-arts competitions are.

Wushu forms competitions, on the other hand, I'd prefer to keep out of the Olympics. On the other hand, I'd be happy to see ice dancing, gymnastic floor routines, and other purely-subjective, purely-artistic sports out of the Olympics too. Racing and direct competition good, dancing for 10.0s bad. Of course, that's what I want the Olympics to be, not where it's actually heading...where it's actually heading, Wushu forms competitions would fit in better than Sanda would.

16. franwushu

franwushu flip and flap

yeah nice coment wel its intresting and on the other quote I meant kickboxing(taekwondo anb boxing mixed up) not boxing and Y just love taolua and the wushu rotines but its not actualy dancing you know many great dancers could not do tha Im sure

17. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

...and how many Wushu players could do a triple axel double lutz on ice skates? I'm not insulting Wushu, just describing an undeniable difference in the structure of performance arts versus combat sports. The fact is Wushu, like figure skating, is a performance art which is scored based upon technical difficulty and artistic presentation. On the other hand, fencing, boxing, judo, taekwondo, and wrestling involve two competitors competing directly to score points against each other. That's a fundamental difference in how the sports are structured.

PS--Kickboxing is not "taekwondo and boxing mixed up." I did TKD for four years, and I've never seen a kickboxer throw kicks in a TKD-esque way. Their kicks are much more Muay-Thai-inspired, if you ask me.

18. Ace of Clubs

Ace of Clubs Banned Banned

I hope i'm not out of line but i'd rather see an MMA style event or a weapons art rather that wushu at the next olympics.

19. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

As for weapons arts, there's already three melee weapons in the Olympics (foil, epee, sabre), plus several shooting events.

Just for clarification, the term "wushu" can refer to two separate martial sports. Most often, it refers to taolu (forms competitions), but it can also refer to sanda, aka sanshou. Sanda is a full-contact combat sport where competitors are given various amounts of points for punches, kicks, throws, and takedowns. Going down to the ground results in fight stoppage and bringing the fighters back to their feet. You can win by KO and I think you can win by forcing your opponent off the raised platform a certain number of times. It's not the same mix of mixed martial arts you see in Pride or the UFC, but it's still "mixed martial arts" in the broader sense of the term.

Here's a particularly good Sanda match from YouTube:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIoNA9iKGc8"]YouTube - Sanshou Match China vs Korea[/ame]

20. franwushu

franwushu flip and flap

there are many diffrence between wushu and fecing its like the art in the form of combat you dont get it because you dont ractice it Ive even got fights videos between shaolin munks defeting tkwd masters using sanshou technics... and howemany times do you see a butterfly twist with a sword or a aerial cartweel with a gun( bo staff not a gun of shooting of coarse)