Jumping tips

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by WhiteWizard, Jan 6, 2004.

1. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

Has anybody got any good tips for increasing jumping ability. Its to help my jumping kicks as they are easier if you can jump higher. any help if appreciated.

2. totality

totality New Member

plyometrics, jump squats, weightlifting, and i've found that bouncing around on an old tire does wonders for one's footwork and i assume jumping ability.

3. Teryan

Teryan Valued Member

What helped me most was some ankle weight. Start out light (about 1/2 a lbs.), work on jumping with your kneese to your chest. After a wile you should see an impovement. If you cant find ankle weights, just do jump ups (jump with your kneese to you chest) until you get tired.

4. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

Sounds stupid but i actually learned most of my jump kicks on a bouncy castle (which i had frequent access to at my old job). It didn't help my jumping but it gave me time in the air to help perfect my technique and form so that when i tried the kicks normally i found them much much easier.......
    That was my bizarre way of improving them anyway.

5. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

i use my trampoline... does that help? for me it does.

6. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

I've heard of (and been doing) poly squats and calve rasies White Wizard.

I surethe calve rasies will do some good. Stand with your toes on a brick/stair/block, and lower you heals are far as you can go. Then use your calves to raise your heals up as far as they will go. Do it slowly.
    To about 5 sets of 15-20. Try adding weight to a backpack once you get to 20.

7. Kat

Kat Valued Member

8. shadow warrior

shadow warrior Valued Member

Warning: Hard Core, NOT for casual training: Assumes very good general condition and NO knee problems!

Step one. Measure the current vertical jump capability.
    This done by marking the level of the hip bone on a wall, then having someone mark the apex of the hip bone during a stationary standing jump from a croutch.

Each motion done for one perimeter lap around the 'matted' area of the school.

SET:

1. Lung as long and deep as possible. Take care not to let your knees extend beyond the tips of you toes.

2. After returning to the start point execute 10 deep crouching leaps to maximum height.

3. One legged hops, one lap each leg. Hold your leg up using the same side hand.

4. repeat 2.

5. Crouching frog hops, hands on ears, one lap.

6. Repeat 2.

7. Stand beside a wall (touch if necessary for balance), lift and hold one leg and execute as many one legged dips (knee to about 6 -8 inches from the floor) as possible with each leg.

8. Repeat 2.

9. Execute as many full range, deep one legged calf raises from a platfrom as possible with each leg.

10. Repeat 2.

This set should be done twice a week with three days between for recovery.

When you are capable of doing this set THREE times in one session, you may either; add a weight vest totalling about 1/10 your body weight or; increase frequency to three times per week.

After ten sessions, measure your vertical jump again when you are fresh! Helps motivate!

My students have realized vertical jump increases from baseline ranging from 10% - 25% in a 3 - 4 months.

Also has the added benefit of increasing upper end cardio capacity.

Good Luck!!

9. redi knight

redi knight New Member

jumping :D

really though, jump squats, tuck jumps, leap frogs, jumping up stairs, over furniture, skateboarding..anything that has jumping should help.
    plyometrics are good, just dont do too much, 1 or 2 days a week.

10. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

\

Ankle weights can damage your knees very easily, so I wouldn't recommend using those.
    Just try some jump squats or normal squats if you want something like that.

Be VERY careful with using the trampoline too much, it will teach your hamstrings to contract at a very fast speed and make them very inflexible.
    Happened to me...It's not fun.
    Its fine to use it, just not too much.
    And for TKD, you'll need that flexibility.

11. Darkflames21

Darkflames21 New Member

does anybody know where i can get 15lbs to 20lbs ankle weights? i wan to work on my jumping techniques. I can't jump every high yet.

12. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I used to do that going up stairs dunno why, just felt good, you can fit a lot in in a day that way.

13. Cain

Cain New Member

Just jump, work for a higher height everytime but harder. Works for me at least...

|Cain|

14. Dark Blade

That’s a lot of weight to be putting on yourself...
    Didn't you pay attention to my last post?!
    Sorry, I know where they sell some, but I won't tell you, for your own good. I have a friend who damaged his knee very badly using ankle weights.

15. Darkflames21

Darkflames21 New Member

ok then, then what exercises can i do for my leg muscles to jump high, like on a workout machine?

16. peacfulwarrior

peacfulwarrior New Member

Visualize

One thing that helped me out with my jump kicks is visualization see yourself doing the technique. Your mind is the most powerfull tool/muscle/nerve you have, use it and you'll see a big difference.

17. Dark Blade

Squats, jump squats, jumping, leg press, leg extensions, leg curls, smith machines, calf rasies, dokey calf rasies, a calf machine.

Enjoy.
    :)

18. Darkflames21

Darkflames21 New Member

OK, im off. i will see if it works.

19. Sun Hwang

Sun Hwang Train to eat,Eat to train

Leg extensions/ flexsions. Sorta bad for knees though. SQUATS! Squats are so good because they work almost every part of you lower body. They really help, especially for jumping because it is the motion of jumping but with a ton of weight so when you go do an actual jump it feels like you're hardly doing anything, allowing you to jump higher.

20. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant