What is your opinion of Dan Inosanto

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Infrazael, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Has anyone trained with him? Seminar?

I am gonna check out his school on Tuesday I think.

So if you guys know how they train, that would be great.

Also, do they do a lot of sparring over there?

2. tellner

tellner Valued Member

It is very difficult to say too many good things about the man.

He's mastered, really mastered, more martial arts than most of us have heard of. He's been too generous with his time. If it weren't for his wife he'd have been nibbled to death by students who just want a few hours here and there and there and there and there. He's an incredible teacher who has turned out a huge number of superb trainers in turn. You can't possibly go wrong training with the man. If he school isn't what you're looking for you'll find someone in his network of students, friends and teachers who will be.

On top of it all, he's a genuinely good, down-to-Earth guy.

Anyone who teaches a whole slew of martial arts from Kali and Muay Thai to BJJ, Wing Chun and Silat owes the man an enormous debt of gratitude. He promoted their stuff tirelessly even when the teachers turned around and treated him like dirt. That goes double and triple for the "JKD Nucleus" and the Lee family who have dug themselves a nice little pit in the ninth circle of Dante's Hell for the way they treated him.

3. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Tellner says it all,Infraz!Well.he forgot to mention his great sense of humor.

I went to 3 or 4 seminars in the 80s/90s.Money very,very well spent.

It looks like he's not doing as many seminars these days,so he'll be in town more often.

I doubt you'll have trouble finding folks to glove up with there.Enjoy.

4. kungfudoctor

kungfudoctor Free Kung Fu for all

How much did he pay you to say this ?:)

seriously ive trained with him on and off for the last 20 years through doing seminars and whilst over there i went to see him... i can only say he is a genuine man who cares a lot about JKD and each and every single living thing that he meets

5. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Nice, after looking for a lot of places and being poor college student who can't afford the gas (my car is great but it gets 12 miles per gallon), Inosanto's school is only like 3 miles from me. :D

Speaking of his students I did study with one of them today, I will be training with him 3 days a week in Brazilian Jujitsu and Wing Chun (OMG BLASPHEMY?!?!?)

That will be outside anytime I spend training elsewhere.

Gonna get back into training hardcore . . . . FINALLY. Los Angeles is sure a great area for martial arts . . . I'm so glad I moved here for school.

6. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

No no no Infrazael, you KNOW Wing Chun is NOT effective!!!* ;) :D

*For those who might not realize it, that was sarcasm referencing a recent discussion between Infrazael and myself.

7. MPhelan

MPhelan Valued Member

Jimmy Tang, BJJ blackbelt, teaches his BJJ classes. But you wouldn't like him, he's Taiwanese lol. j/k

8. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Haven't got a horse in that race I'm happy to say. I'm Steve Plinck's guy and not involved in JKD at all.

9. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Of course, only MY WC is effective. :hat:

On a side note there is some good and interesting stuff in WC, especially the way my instructor plays it (very heavy, it is very similar to the South Mantis I have done . . . scarily similar actually, maybe it has to do with his Silat influence?).

Plus, WC is my eternal enemy, so what better way to learn how to defeat the BEST wing chun has to offer? :)

10. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

Infrazael, tellner has said it all. I don't know about the whole hell thing, but besides that :p

I'll be seeing him again at a Seminar in a couple months, and I can't wait.

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Love him. He's the man who inspired me to pursue JKD and kali (which is the one that stuck).

Being at a seminar with Guro Dan is a treat. He's, for me, that perfect combination of nonchalance and a metric crapload of knowledge.

12. CFT

CFT Valued Member

So is this an April Fool's joke or not?

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10616607&postcount=16

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  13. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Valued Member

lol! what up infrazael, its funny you said that. i have trained wing chun for years and left and went to hung, choy lay fut, northern mantis and so on and held my own against everybody i sparred and fought and i just cant beat my older wc brother so if you start to see the holes let me know! let me know how that goes. im gonna be trying out some jkd from i think one of inosanto old students or someone thats associated with him here. you know i been doing wc for years. i will be the first to tell you that it can be a very deadly art but also lacking so i say never let go of the choy lay fut training just at whats missing if anything is. i go on saturday.

14. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

I really like his poem he wrote (only if we all could follow it) and he has great info on a lot of arts.... I trained with him back in the day many years ago... Many times... I just went to train with him again here in Michigan, last October 2008...I took three of my stuents with me so they can experience his teaching for themselves... I would say if anyone has the chance to train with him to do so... We all are not getting any younger.... Something to think about...

15. DontMoveTilUCIt

DontMoveTilUCIt Valued Member

I loved his guest appearance at the end of red belt as 'the professor'. He didn't have to say anything, but his presence made a big difference in the film

I think he does regular seminars in London with Bob Breen and he is generally spoken highly of

Given his training in a wide range of arts over that length of time he is bound to teach even you something Infrazael!

16. hulkout

hulkout Valued Member

I feel that Dan Inosanto is the top man in JKD. Period. I respect other instructors, but I strongly disagree with people who say that if Bruce Lee didn't practice it, we shouldn't either. I think they're missing the whole point. Dan has successfully incorporated Filipino martial arts and other systems into his JKD without changing the essence of it and honestly expressing himself. And to me, that is the highest level you can attain. I recently read a book by Teri Tom called The Straight Lead. It's full of good information, but there's a section in it about what JKD is not. And she says that Bruce Lee didn't study Kali or Escrima and instructors who teach it are not true JKD people. She didn't list names, but I'm quite sure that was directed at Dan Inosanto. I think people are forgetting the fact that Bruce Lee died at the ripe old age of 32! Had he lived longer, JKD would have continued evolving just as Dan Inosanto has done.

17. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

agree 100% about Sifu Inosanto. Keeping JKD evolving, not letting it become a new type of TMA. Teri Tom thinks a bit too much of herself. I would take her advice on how to eat, but not on how to fight. I don't care how good her form/theory is. Doesn't make her a good fighter.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  18. DontMoveTilUCIt

DontMoveTilUCIt Valued Member

I think it's a big statement to say that Dan Inosanto is the top man in JKD. I don't think it is ever that cut and dry (ie I think Master Chan is one of the best chunners around, but I am sure that he has his peers)

Having said that, I think Dan Inosanto is an amazing talent and one that has inspired generations of students

In wing chun we have a similar problem where people say that this certain isn't wing chun etc. I agree to an extent - if you are doing Judo and then do a flying kick, it isn't really traditional judo anymore. But that doesn't make it bad. I would rather do an art/style that is good and works, than stick to a style that only trains one way no matter what

It kind of reminds me of the samurai who were eventually wiped out because they refused to evolve and move with the times. So armies came with guns and cannon and destroyed them

It is nice to keep to tradition sometimes, but it does not make a good martial art

Of course, that is why people insist that MMA is the best way of training nowadays

19. hulkout

hulkout Valued Member

I agree with your points. Martial artists in general are a very strange group of people. They are also extremely stubborn to any kind of change. Until recently, things were being modified and it was acceptable. Choy Lay Fut was developed in the 19th century. Wong Fei Hung made major changes to Hung Gar in the 19th century as well. But it seems after the 20th century rolled around, changing things was forbidden.

The problem is people have way too much time on their hands. In ancient times when you actually used martial arts to fight for your life, people couldn't spend time worrying about upholding tradition. They would use any technique that worked. Things that didn't work were discarded. Sound familiar? So really, MMA and JKD are very traditional in their approach. Only in a modern affluent society can people waste so much time bickering about what is and isn't a pure form of their art.

20. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

I think it's terrible, but unfortunately people can't keep their eye on the main goal. to be amazing and complete fighters, not just good at that one thing. I want to win, I don't care where the techniques come from or whether or not it is or isn't JKD. I think a lot of MMA guys have their heads on straight about this.