broken foot

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by MatsunoCj, Mar 17, 2009.

1. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

well it sucks but i was out shooting with some people a couple weeks ago and one of their guns fired when they were going back to reload, well they were about 15 feet away and the round came across and went through my foot and broke the metatarsal bone on the little toe side, well im basically just waiting because they want to see if it will heal across the gap because right now that is basically a hole in the middle of the bone and, so within the last 2 weeks a thin piece of bone has grown across the gap so the doctor thinks things are looking good, is there anything that anyone knows of to maybe help stimulate bone growth or help the bone grow at all?

2. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

3. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

yea thats the only thing i could really think of i know its vitamin D and calcium, but i wasnt sure if anyone knew of anything else, thanks for the reply though

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

What type of gun were you shot with?

5. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

a ruger .40 cal

6. flutterfists

flutterfists Valued Member

That's awful, sorry to hear about your injury. Glad your doc's pleased with your recovery so far, though. What estimated recovery time did your doctor give you?

7. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

he was saying around 3 months, at first he was saying it would be that long till i could put any weight on it at all, now after seeing how it is healing he is saying that i can see if i can put weight on it the next time i go in to see him which is about a month after it happened, even if i could just put a little body weight on it it would make everything so much easier

8. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

It was Dick Cheney wasn't it? ;)

9. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

lol yep u guessed it

10. ptguitarguy

ptguitarguy Valued Member

We do use a device called a "Cortical Bone Stimulator" in my clinic (which are manufactured by a number of companies) and does exactly what it says. Talk with your orthopedist and ask him if this is indicated...certain medical issues specific to you that I don't know about might contraindicate use. Does he/she know you are a martial artist who's foot use intensity is well over and above what the normal population will ask of their feet? Good Luck!

11. ptguitarguy

ptguitarguy Valued Member

BTW, I target shoot and with all due respect, you need to shoot with safer friends! There are protocols out there to prevent just such scenarios. You are lucky someone didn't have to take a dirt nap! As my high school wrestling coach used to say "prior planning prevents **** poor performance"!

12. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Yes I'm going to ask a stupid question. Has your friend heard of an amazing part of the gun called the "Safety"?

13. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

thanks for the response i didnt even notice that someone wrote back, but i just got a bone graft on friday and he said he is probably going to give me a cortical bone stimulator but im not really sure what it is, but right now he took a bone graft out of my lower shin and put it in my foot with a plate, and hes knows im a martial artist but im not sure if he really knows the types of things i want my foot to be able to do, my main worry is that it will effect my training if it does ill have to adapt of course but im a firefighter too so that requires alot out of my feet too im just hoping this heals so i can use it like i used to

14. vismitananda

vismitananda Valued Member

Don'y push too hard with your foot for the mean time, it might get worst than ever.

15. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

well good news actually i went to the dr yesterday and he said its finally healed, so yesterday i got to walk on it again finally. the muscle is pretty much useless and everything is kinda sore and stuff but atleast i can start getting it back to normal and stuff, seems like it took alot longer than 4 months but 4 months with no training is driving me nuts. I am finally going to jujitsu tonight i cant do anything really but i can still walk around and help out and stuff so atleast thats something.

16. Stanislovas

Stanislovas Valued Member

I'm glad your foot is doing better. A lot of people don't understand that training or working through the pain of an injury like that can negatively affect them for good.

Also, I'm siding with ptguitarguy on the "shooting with safer friends" things.

17. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

yea i know that im basically just walking around and helping out cause its definitely not worth me breaking it again or ruining something because if i couldnt use my foot properly i would probably lose my job and obviously i cant have that happen.

18. dustIn credible

dustIn credible Valued Member

I have a jones fracture on my right foot, its a break in the metatarsal on the little toe side, i had a cast for 2 months then stayed off of it for about another week and am just now doing some gentle walking with a orthopedict boot, i havn't been back to the doctor (lack of insurance or a job for that matter) but i accept it to be completely healed by september. Just take it as easy as possible, if not you can rebreak it very easily so stay off it if you do walk to it slow careful and as little as possible.