Does anyone still take Frank Dux seriously?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Jocky Balboa, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Jocky Balboa

Jocky Balboa Valued Member

Assuming many of you already know who he is (for those who don't, he is the man Van Damme played in Bloodsport in 1987), it would be interesting to know what your thoughts are on the man and his supposed "achievements" in the secret Kumite and whatnot.

Now that he has given "his side of the story", in the first of 2 lengthy articles in the latest copy of Martial Arts Illustrated (the second of which will be in next month's issue), it does show his predicament in a different light, especially with regard to the credibility of his opponents as well as his witnesses.

Your thoughts?

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

From what I've gathered, he didn't hold a passport during the time he claims he was winning the secret underground kumite, which would make taking any of his claims seriously rather difficult!

All in all, no, I don't take him seriously.

3. Jocky Balboa

I didn't realise he never had a passport at the time, although he was apparently in the US Military. :eek:

You have to say, though, his story is pretty elaborate and drawn-out (just read the MAI article!). If indeed he is lying, he must be mentally ill to dream up such a huge web of lies.

4. Aegis

He was in the military reserves and never served overseas. As such he's been caught out in a lie as to what he was doing when he supposedly fought in this contest, and as it also seems that he bought the trophy from a few miles away from his house in the US, it's going to take some seriously good explaining to defend his claim.

Of course, the fact that no-one has heard of this competition before or since 1975 makes it even less believable, especially considering there were supposedly 64 competitors from all around the world.

All in all, a complete fabrication is the only logical conclusion to this story.

5. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Serious head case. Serious fraud. Serious embarrassment to martial arts.

Yep. I take him seriously.

6. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Take who seriously?

7. shadow_priest_x

shadow_priest_x Moved on

I used to be a big fan of Frank Dux, as Bloodsport was one of my absolute favorite movies growing up (and still is, really). In fact, I even had one of the hard cover copies of The Secret Man (which I somehow lost along life's way, a real shame since it's somewhat rare). I remember wanting to to learn Dux-Ryu and become an American ninja!

With all that said, I think evidence is definitely not on his side. I can't remember the exact numbers, but how many records did he claim to hold from the Kumite?

Wasn't it something ridiculous like 62 knockouts in a row and undefeated in 315 fights? Maybe his claims weren't quite THAT outlandish, but they were close.

I think this is one of the greatest blows to his credibility. Today's MMA fighters--a sport which is less dangerous than the supposed kumite fights he was a part of--only fight a few times a year. So how did he go about racking up hundreds of Kumite fights?

8. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

9. Jocky Balboa

A few things stand out for me. Firstly, if so many competitors converged on the relatively small area that is Jamaica, then surely local residents would have been savvy to what was going on? As yet however, none have ever come forward.

Secondly, if he is 52 as he claims, the "Kumite" would have taken place when he was still in his teens, no? No passport and under 21, yet in the CIA as a covert operative. Impressive...

Bearing in mind also, that 329 consecutive knockouts in 5 years would have meant about 56 knockouts per tournament. Where did he get all the energy from? :rolleyes:

10. Aegis

I do vaguely remember the claim of 62 knockouts in a row. Unfortunately for this to be true we'd be looking at 62 rounds in a direct knockout tournament, which itself would require 4,611,686,018,427,387,904 competitors. Somewhat problematic when you consider that represents 9 orders of magnitude more than the population of the earth...

Unless they meant in successive years, but as he's only claimed to have won the competition once to my knowledge, he'd pretty much have had to fight all those other martial artists in the one year.

In short, numerically impossible as well as an outrageous claim!

11. shadow_priest_x

shadow_priest_x Moved on

Made me laugh. . .

12. shadow_priest_x

shadow_priest_x Moved on

This guy:

[​IMG]

Either the greatest martial artist ever to walk the earth or the biggest liar and fraud.

13. Jocky Balboa

He only displays one trophy, but claims that his runs of victories were during a 5yr period, from 1975 to 1980.

As a side-note, he now claims he's 52. That would have made him a world-beater at 19, but meant he retired at the young age of 24, long before most people reach their physical peak. Surely he would have wanted the world to see his amazing skills in the then-burgeoning Kyokushinkai and Kickboxing circuits that emerged in the 80's? What a shame he never took the opportunity to do so... :hat:

14. shadow_priest_x

shadow_priest_x Moved on

Figure I'll throw these up too, just 'cause they get a chuckle out of me everytime:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

15. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

16. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Frank Dux is the world's greatest living martial artist, he has been a victim of jealousy inspired slander spread by LARPers for decades. If any of you h8ers ever met Dux Sensei, you'd void your bowels in fear.

Now, excuse me, I have a conference call with Tom Cruise, John Travolta and Xenu to attend.

17. Jocky Balboa

So, has anyone read the latest issue of MAI, with Frank's interview? Part 2 is in the next issue, due out tomorrow. Can't wait!

18. Aegis

Never really been a fan of MAI since its editor turned up here and called everyone "keyboard warriors". That was fun.

Of course, I never read it before then either, but that pretty much hammered a nail in the coffin for me ;)

19. Jocky Balboa

Would that be Bob Sykes you're referring to? If so, can you direct me to such comments? I have no first-hand experience of him personally, but MAI is usually a good read (apart from the many spelling mistakes and shoddy editing errors!).

20. Aegis

This thread, post 45: http://martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29419&page=9