Shotokan and Shotokai

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Bootneck6, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Bootneck6

Bootneck6 Valued Member

What's the difference?

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Shotokai is closer to what Gichin Funakoshi taught and has no competition element.

3. Bootneck6

Bootneck6 Valued Member

Thanks but that really doesn't tell me anything.

I was referring to it's syllabus and kata's etc.

4. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Bassai is closer to the mark than you realise

:google:

5. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Outside of Japan master Mitsusuke Harada is known as the father of shotokai. He was one of the original students of Funakoshi Gichin founder of shotokan.

Harada shihan studied under master Shigeru Egami another original student of Funakoshi Gichin who was developing his own style of karate.

They were also influenced by Yochiro Inoue who taught aikido alongside O Sensei Morihei ueshiba before founding his own art Shinwa Taido.

I attended mixed seminars of aikido judo kendo and shotokai karate in the late sixties early seventies and saw the "birth" of shotokai here in Britain. decades later I still have friends in shotokai and for a number of years was invited to give seminars in aikido tai sabaki and sword and stick mainly in Stirling.

The main difference is in the "extending" of power through the attacks rather than the kime used in shotokan and the movement is more flowing.

The physical workouts are VERY demanding and as llamageddan has said there is no competititon.

regards koyo

Harada shihan

Attached Files:

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Shotokai is like shotokan with all the cool stuff removed.

7. Bridge

Bridge Valued Member

But with more peace, love and tofu.

Oh, and less starchy uniforms.

8. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

You don't need good stances when you have starchy uniforms to do the work. It's been proven