Makiwara - Pros & Cons

Discussion in 'Karate' started by SilentFuryTSD, Dec 25, 2003.

1. SilentFuryTSD

SilentFuryTSD New Member

First off, I have heard the "myth of the makiwara"; meaning that training with a makiwara can be detrimental. I know a lot of people swear by it.

So, which is it, guys? :confused:

Also, those who train with a makiwara... what is your daily/weekly regimen? I just got myself an excellent one, and would like some tips.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas, everyone! :)

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Can't help you with training with a makiwara, however the reason that some people don't like it is related to some of the effects it can have. Look at some of the threads on conditioning to see both sides of the story.

3. SilentFuryTSD

SilentFuryTSD New Member

Thank you. I am brand new to this site, so am having a bit of trouble maneuvering it. I did see some references in threads on conditioning about the makiwara, but no explanations as to why it is considered good or bad. I'll keep looking....

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Basically, summed up:

Pros:
    It can make you a lot tougher, and that really does mean a lot.

Cons:
    It can cause rather nasty problems later in life, or even soon, ranging from brittle bones, to bone cancer. Note the can here, not necessarily will. Nothing is certain.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2003
  5. SilentFuryTSD

SilentFuryTSD New Member

6. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

I use makiwara. Ask your Sensei how he thinks you should train with it. Other wise just start off doing basic reverse punches on each hand. That's how I started ;)

7. SilentFuryTSD

SilentFuryTSD New Member

Thanks! I do reverse punches, palm strikes, and ridge hand strikes, ATM. I do about 50-100 a day.

How many do you do?

8. paul paterson

paul paterson Valued Member

Osu,

Sorry LilBunnyRabbit But training with and on the makiwara DOES NOT cause brittle bones to bone cancer. Unless you are medically qualified to say and even then it would be wrong to say then please refrain from making such a statement.

The makiwara helps builds up the forearm muscles, the focus and speed of your punches and a host of many other goodies, it does not cause medical problems. Unless you are doing the training wrong or have been shown to do it wrong then Yes you can hurt yourself but not to the severity of what you have said.

Osu.
    Paul Paterson.

9. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

No, but it does increase the risk. I just prefer that people know the potential risks of what they're doing so that they can make their own decision. I have the same attitude to smoking, so long as someone knows the various health issues of it, I've got no problem with them doing it. So long as its not too near me of course.

Any form of conditioning carries risk with it. Some forms more than others. Makiwara is one of the minor ones.

10. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Makiwara is safe, if trained safely.

It is not a conditioning tool, it is to develop penetration power on karate style punches.

It is not a piece of equipment I like or use though.

Makiwara should have lots of spring, and a cushioned impact area. Those solid things you hang on the wall are not a good idea.

Just remember, it is NOT a conditioning tool, it is for increasing power. Anyone that tells you its primary purpose is conditioning doesn't know what they are talking about.

11. SilentFuryTSD

SilentFuryTSD New Member

With all due respect, sir (and I DO mean this in the most respectful manner), what qualifications do you have to tell me that? I have heard from many others that it is for conditioning. You are actually the first to say that conditioning has nothing to do with it, if I understood you correctly.

Also... I know that traditional makiwaras were made with a covering of straw, usually rice straw, specifically because of the healing properties of the straw.

That may or may not be myth, but I do know straw was used. In any case, if it is not for conditioning, why are they made with clothesline, cord, rope, straw, etc., instead of baby-soft cotton padding or something?

Respectfully,
    ~Jamie~

12. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Straw is there for padding. Why? well what other soft material was readily available in a small country destroyed by a war.

Also define conditioning.

Is hitting a heavy bag (with gloves and wraps) conditioning? If so then I agree, Makiwara is a conditioning excercise.

13. SilentFuryTSD

SilentFuryTSD New Member

Conditioning--something to strengthen you. Physically, as in your endurance, your skin, etc. Mentally, for mental endurance, stamina, courage. Essentially, enhancing your physical or mental readiness.

Basically, it's all conditioning. And yes, straw was there for padding. You must have missed the "healing properties" comment.

I, however, did not miss your point that it is not for conditioning. I did some more research online. Cursory, yes, but at least it's there. For instance, from:
    http://www.ctr.usf.edu/shotokan/makiwara.html, I find: "Makiwara is a punching board. It is a piece of equipment essential in toughening the hands, strengthening the wrists and giving training in hand techniques."

and
    "Technically speaking, makiwara training builds strength and power the same way hitting the heavy bag does for a boxer."

From http://www.kwon.com/kwon/europa-UK/training/makiwara/

"Makiwara: For hardening striking points."

From http://www.karatebreaking.com/conditioning.html,

"Conditioning is what allows you to strike powerfully without incurring injury....KARATE METHOD: MAKIWARA[click] Simple, direct, can be done anywhere, hard style."

These are just a few examples, and the first one agrees with your point AND mine.

Could it be that the makiwara is for both conditioning and increasing speed & power?

Cheers,
    ~Jamie~

P.S. Lest I forget, if you check out that last site and click where it says "CLICK", you will find the mention to its healing properties.

14. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

There is lots of bad information in Traditional circles, one of its biggest obstacles right now.

But regardless, banging your knuckles into hard things for the purpose of "toughening" them is a bad idea, which you will regret later on.

Been there, done that, got the messed up wrists/knuckles because of it, won't do it again.

15. SilentFuryTSD

SilentFuryTSD New Member

*Nods*

Now there's something I can understand! :) I don't think it is always bad.... I know that in our school, we punch the makiwaras rather lightly, just to build up a toughness. Heavy bags we light into.

It's almost the idea of building a callous, for us.

Well, said, Andrew Green.

16. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Or rather, there's lot's of misunderstood information in Traditional circles. ;)

17. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

I'd say there is a good amount of both ;)

One usually as a result of the other.

18. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

One is as a result of the other!

19. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Just no pleasing some people....

You are just far too fussy lately Andy, go get yourself some eggnog :D

20. sasori_te

sasori_te New Member

It's not a callous that you're looking for with makiwara use. Punching a makiwara helps several things. It helps your over-all punching technique. It also conditions the muscles, bones and sinews to better withstand full force blows to hard targets. Note that I said better withstand. It doesn't make you indestructable. It is just another of the many training aids from traditional karate. Like any training aid it has to be used properly to be of benefit. Incorrect use can damage the bones and sinews and possibly cause you problems due to arthritis or nerve damage. I have never heard of makiwara training causing brittle bones or bone cancer. Good luck training.