Good weapon for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by NickDanzinger, Dec 24, 2003.

1. NickDanzinger

NickDanzinger New Member

I do judo and also some Muay Thai but I was wondering about some weapons fighting, do any of you have some fun suggestions for a beginner?

I was thinking a Bo staff, since it's fairly cheap and simple..

Thanks for all replies.

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Most styles teach you how to use a Bo staff first, since if you konk yourself on the head with it, you won't die. :)

PL

3. Redhotdragon

Redhotdragon New Member

Yup first weapon i learnt was the Bo staff...

4. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

That or the short stick(s)

5. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

or even a longer stick, say 7'

6. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

Bo or arnis would be my pick for your first weapons.

As a matter of interest we start teaching arnis from the very first [at white belt level - and even the little kids get to learn it], so that by the time you reach blue belt and higher you are pretty competant with them.

You can practice sticks and bo by yourself which is good so that you wont get hurt by hitting yourself!

7. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

The best weapon to use is the one you are instructed in, you know, by your teacher................

8. Mig

Mig New Member

Yes, I learnt the bo first and found it real ungainly and hard to move with. However I can now use it without having to stick my tongue out in concentration and have evev gained a liking for the weapon. Besides which I've never heard of anyone not starting with a bo. I'd have thought there's gotta be something in that.

9. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

i started learning nunchaku first this time last year and im only starting to learn the bo now after nunchaku and sai. maybe im just backwards :D

10. Darren

Darren Valued Member

Yeah the staff is safest to learn first.

I started with a nunchaku too... nice wooden pair so you knew when you muffed up. *rubs back of head and elbows*

9 section chain whip is fun... if you have no regard for your knees, ankles, head, elbows, face... :D

11. The Kestrel

The Kestrel Valued Member

i started with staff, and continued with spear(with blade).

12. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

The mind! (sorry had to say it)

13. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

The hanbo or jo. Easier to find similiar size items around the house (umbrella, golf club, bat). But that's just my preference.

14. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

get a kubotan

15. Darkflames21

Darkflames21 New Member

Try the sai. These are my first weapon and still learning, but it depends on what you like and what your teacher think is ready for you. Try the sai.

16. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

I started with shinai for my swordsmanship. They are cheap and dont hurt to terribly much when you get hit without armor.

17. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

I started with the tanbo/escrima/kali 3' stick. It is simpler training than nunchaku for instance, and the stick can be applied to almost anything. Im starting the bo staff training as soon as my bo gets here

18. shonuff

shonuff New Member

Any blunt weapon except flailing weapons like chains, nunchuks and three section staves. Any length stick is good.

examples:

pocket sticks
    staves
    escrima sticks
    bokkens/suburito
    wood mockup weapons (wood tantos, wood taichi swords)

19. small guy

small guy New Member

hmm foam nunchaku or tonfa?

20. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Huh?! Sorry Cudgel, but I would have to disagree from experience... mabey when SCA guys hit you it doesn't hurt, but when an experienced kendoka wacks you on the head with one hard enough it can put you into a concussion, and it hurts...badly.