Split Differences

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by KickChick, Dec 23, 2003.

1. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

A member had asked me to explain the differences between splits.

First of all, there are two kinds of splits: front and side (the side split is often called a chinese split). In a Front split, you have one leg stretched out to the front and the other leg stretched out to the back. In a side split, both legs are stretched out to your side.

A common problem encountered during a side split is pain in the hip joints. Usually, the reason for this is that the split is being performed improperly (you may need to tilt your pelvis forward).

Another common problem encountered during splits (both front and side) is pain in the knees. This pain can often (but not always) be alleviated by performing a slightly different variation of the split.

Front split (also called: stride split)
    A split in which one leg is extended frontward and the other leg is extended backward, both at right angles to the trunk. Ideally, the hips are square facing to the front, while both legs are turned out from the hips .
    [​IMG]

Straddle split (also called: side split; box split; Chinese split; cut split)
    A split in which the legs are extended to the left and right, until a 180 degree angle between the legs is reached. The position shown is a suspended side split.

[​IMG]

thanks to Chazz for the pics!
    Stretching

2. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

A friend of mine is having problems with his knees in splits. Do you know what variation can help with that?

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

In a front split, the front leg should be straight with the knee facing up. The front foot can be pointed or flexed (there will be a greater stretch in the front hamstring if the front foot is flexed). The kneecap of the back leg should either be facing the floor (which puts more of a stretch on the quadriceps and psoas muscles), or out to the side (which puts more of a stretch on the inner-thigh (groin) muscles). If it is facing the floor, then it will probably be pretty hard to flex the back foot, since its instep should be on the floor. If the back kneecap is facing the side, then your back foot should be stretched out (not flexed) with its toes pointed to reduce undue stress upon the knee. Even with the toes of the back foot pointed, you may still feel that there is to much stress on your back knee (in which case you should make it face the floor).

For side splits, you can either have both knees (and insteps) facing up which puts more of a stretch on the hamstrings, or you can have both knees (and insteps) face the front, which puts more of a stretch on the inner-thigh (groin) muscle.
    This last position puts more stress on the knee joints and may cause pain in the knees for some people... like your friend possibly.
    Doing the side split with both kneecaps (and insteps) facing the front you need to be sure to tilt your pelvis forward (push your butt to the rear) or you may experience pain in your hip joints.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2003
  4. edz

edz New Member

After starting MA, I've been able to do splits a lot more than I used to, and have practically forced myself to do box splits.

Don't know what I've done to myself, as I my bones in my hips just seem to click in and out of joints when I bring my knee all the way up to my chest, and straighten again. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Edz.

5. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

KickChick - you name them the other way to me. The first pic (one leg front, one leg back) is what I've always called a side split and the other second pic is what I've always called a front or box split.

Weird.

6. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

Yup, you must have confused the names somewhere along the way.

I did the same for the icelandic names, because logically, they should be reversed. :)

7. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Really Mo?

Funny, when I first started out doing splits I too was a little confused but easy way to remember is for the Side Split ... getting into a side split: legs are spread sideways

8. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

Haha - see, it's easy to remember my way too.

Side splits = you're facing to one side; front (box) splits = you're facing to the front.

:)

9. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

It really dosen't get any easier to remember-

Side splits- both legs go out to the SIDE.

Front splits- one leg goes to the FRONT.

Simple.

10. Buddroux

Buddroux New Member

Yah i never had a problem w/ the name but then i could never do the splits ...
    is it harder for a guy to do the splits than for a girl... i think it is..??

11. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

Yeah, your version is just as simple as mine, only the complete opposite!

Side splits- You face to the SIDE.

Front splits- You face to the FRONT.

;) :p

12. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

So are we talking about the same thing?

i.e. the side spilts aka the box split and front splits are the other ones? :p

13. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

Wow, your hippo avatar is dancing in perfect time to the Beatles "Carry That Weight"!

What were we talking about again?

;)

14. mjhian

mjhian New Member

Types of Splits

Simple descriptions:
    1) Side Splits:
    -One leg 'forward' and toes facing up, other leg to 'rear' with toes pointing away at a right-angle from the body along the floor.
    -Body is actually angled away from 'front' leg

2) Front Splits:
    -One leg Forward and toes facing up, other leg to Rear with knee, shin and top of foot facing floor.
    -Body is actually facing Front leg.

3) Box Splits (Chinese/Oriental):
    -Body facing forward, one leg to each Side of the body. Toes also facing forward.

Regards,
    IanH

15. SparcZ

SparcZ That's flexibility!

I find it amusing that in the pictures the guy is not doing a full split in either position. :D

I guess if you wanted to demonstrate then direction of each split then the purpose is achieved. :)

16. mjhian

mjhian New Member

Split demo photos

Was thinking the same :rolleyes:

17. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Some people are not as flexible as others ...

Pic of Chaz performing stretch shows direction ... perhaps just before he drops down into full splits :D (??)

You are are than welcome to post your own pics here...!! ;)

18. SparcZ

SparcZ That's flexibility!

KickChick,

When I get a scanner or someone takes a picture with a digital camera I will post them up for your pleasure. ;) I am no Tom Kurz's by any means and like I said, I wasn't saying anything bad about that person's flexibility at all. I would have posted some pictures in full splits that's all. For example, if I was going to show pictures of someone demonstrating bicep curls I would put a picture of Arnold and not me at 180lbs that's for sure.

19. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Actually most of the students in my class cannot go into full splits like I can .... and they hate it when I tell them not to use their hands for support... meaning once they go down into their split they have to claps their hands so I can hear how many are able to do so.....

.... is this the answer to one hand clapping perhaps?? :D ;)

It is a goal I personally achieved by following Kurz's method however I cannot assume a split until fully warmed up... (the age thing) But for someone who could never do a split and being able to do one at 40 is an achievement!

Perhaps I can sub mit a few pics also! :)

20. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

That guy looks quite uncomfortable in his splits. Also that is not a suspended split. A suspended split is where you are in between two fixed objects and your body is suspended. You use the strength in your legs to keep you up. Very difficult and requires a good deal of strength

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005