Geki Ryu Aikijujutsu

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by hendry, Jul 22, 2008.

1. hendry

hendry Valued Member

2. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

Define what you mean by Genuine?

Genuine as in “Japanese” ? Nope not at all.

I can't comment upon the quality of the training however this statement is both misleading and makes no sense at all.

Trevor Robinson Shihan holds the Grade of Menkyo kaiden 7th Dan Black belt in Aiki jujutsu

This is a “Gendai sogo Bujutsu” That is a Modern Bujutsu or bugei

Anyone involved in koryu or understanding the old-school methods of licensing would question why this guy claims to have a Menkyo Kaiden and and 7th dan in a made up system which is gendai (modern - not old school)

There's a lot of subliminal suggestion toward koryu on that website, indeed they claim to teach weapons systems of that era I know people who’ve studied just one classical weapon system for most of their adult life so Mr. Robinson must be very talented.

There's enough there to make me want to steer clear, but that's just me.

Point of note: There's only one legitimate martial system to have adopted the term "Aiki" in relation to its jujutsu and that is Daito Ryu. Anything else is just cashing in on the buzz-word.

--Dave

3. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

Addendum:

I missed this as it was at the end of that colossal page;
    If anyone is interested, here's a few questions which might need answering before undertaking any form of study:

1. Who invented the system known as Geki Ryu?
    2. Who graded Trevor Robinson to Menkyo Kaiden and in what art specifically?
    3. Who graded Trevor Robinson to 7th dan and Shihan, and in what art specifically?
    4. What is the highest yudansha grade Trevor Robinson has attained from a verifiable source other than the "7th dan Shihan Menkyo Kaiden"?
    5. Who was Robinson's teacher of Aikijujutsu?
    6. How long has Robinson studied Geki Ryu to be awarded Menkyo Kaiden?

--Dave

4. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I was led to believe that schools that awarded menkyo kaiden did NOT use the dan grade sytem.

As rock ape says it takes a life time to master an art. When someone claims sooo many
    achievements I am immediately suspicious.

I also watched the "advance knife defences" and even I found so many mistakes in their execusion.

regards koyo

5. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

I'm with the others, it looks like someone doesn't have a very good understanding of what they're claiming.
    And I seriously hope those knife defences are for show.

6. nj_howard

nj_howard Valued Member

Hi Koyo,

I understand your point, but... then I think of Daito-ryu.

The current head of the "mainline" group (Kondo Katsuyuki) holds a menkyo kaiden from Takeda Tokimune. At the same time, his seniormost students hold dan rank.

Perhaps somebody more knowledgeable than I about how this works can explain it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  7. koyo

Even in modern day aikido there were dan grades however there were also instructors and national coaches. national coaches received fukushidoin (pioneer teacher) certificates.

I cannot scan mine in but there are also teachers cerificates granted by Saito Shian in weapons allowing the holders to teach.
    Below is my certificate in aiki ken.The cerificate comes with a scroll that enumerates the techniques that you are allowed to teach.

Note that Saito shihan signs it as shihan and not as 8th dan.

Perhaps dan grades are to bring the art into line with most other arts and the menkyo are for teachers. I am not certain.

regards koyo

Attached Files:

8. gekiryu

gekiryu New Member

Gentlemen Let me clear a few things up, 1. I have nothing to do with Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu

I have a small group of students/friends and I have no interest to go big,

I called my club Geki Ryu after my Bugo Martial name, that was given to me by Hatsumi in 1995, after I passed my Go-dan In the Bujinkan you want proof then watch this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFJIu3-iODE"]YouTube[/ame]

The Geki Ryu Aiki-Jujutsu is jujutsu mixed with systema, Bujinkan and other things (you can check me out on the Russianmartialart .com site other schools http://www.russianmartialart.com/main.php?page=affiliates&loc=int look on uk and on "in the media, http://www.russianmartialart.com/main.php?page=inthemedia )and with Aiki principles it has no relationship to or with Daito Ryu or any other Ryu nor do or have I ever claimed such, and never would because they use a completely different method anyway and that is called Aikijujutsu mine is Geki Ryu Aiki-jujutsu
    I use the name Aiki because it best describes the principles that I use, that is it. Full stop
    As for the Menkyo Kaiden (what of it) it means nothing to me, I never stoped still learning so it means nothing.
    Our grading system is still in development as we only broke away from the Bujinkan this year,so we haven’t decided which grading system to use,

My grading was the first one that I have had for 11 years I think that’s ok from 6th Dan to 7th don’t you, hell Ive learnt a lot in that time. It was given to me by a very respected Master and that is all I will say for now, I don’t care if that is good enough you, I will not bring other people into these things until/unless I speak to them first, I don’t think that you would either it’s just not done.
    My Grades that is none of your business!, it really isn't and I'm not about to get other people I respect involved in your little witch hunt, I will show any of my Grading certificates to any of my student whenever they wish to see them I have Nothing to hide.
    Grades are just accolades as far as I’m concerned (and personally I don’t think that these days many grading certificates are worth the paper they are written on, (My students are more interested in What I teach them rather than my Grade, oh and they call me Trev, Not sensei! And we don’t Bow.
    I have been training in the Martial arts for 34 years, and I am not interested in what a persons opinion is of my method is that is if he could even recognise what I am doing, If he was looking for Daito ryu then he would be disappointed looking at me! Because I don’t do it.
    Train with me and you will soon see what I can do
    The Sword and other weapon arts that I have done were from the Bujinkan and the Knife and Gun stuff from systema which incidentally I introduced to the UK in 1999 (I was Vladimir Vasiliev’s First UK student)
    If anyone Doubts What I can do anyone can come and see for himself, or watch all my vids on youtube not just one! (the one mentioned was just in a lesson it was not a demo it was sparing, I don't hide where I am. So come and see me, That’s not a problem
    I can call my club anything I want, and as long as I am not claiming to be associated with people that I have nothing to do with ie the Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu then that's fine.
    Trevor

Trevor Robinson Geki Ryu

9. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Bravo ..Trevor ..

Clear succinct and to the point ..

come train with me and then you may judge ,,,until then if you have nothing good to say ......stay quiet ..

I have watched the video up to the knife behind the back techniques ....i will NOW STAY QUEIT

Sorry

regards

Smurf

10. Shiho-Nage

Shiho-Nage I'm okay to go.

I agree with you about one's grade not necessarily being indicative of one's skill and/or ability to teach effective technique. Personally I don't care what one calls themself its all about ability. Though, on the same note, people who have inflated their rank/standing/ability are a danger to others. I am not saying that you've done that.

I watched several of the advanced knife defenses videos on YouTube including the "full speed" one and I have to agree with what others have said here about them. There seemed to be little control of the weapon arm and weapon while relying on only a few strikes to disable/disarm the attacker. In many cases when the weapon was disarmed it was not secured quickly or at all. In addition, there were multiple examples of weapon attacks on a weaponless and "neutralized" attacker. So, if one were fortunate enough to escape harm and subdue the attacker using your technique the subsequent "finishing blow" could very well put them away in prison for the rest of their life.

11. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

I'll never grow tired of reading this gem... "my grade means nothing to me" from someone who procrastinates themselves as Shihan, 7th dan Menkyo Kaiden etc etc etc.

Mr. Robinson.. Who graded you to 7th dan, awarded you the title Shihan and gave you Menkyo Kaiden ? Simple questions.

Thank you

--Dave

12. koyo

BASIC KNIFE TAKING PRICIPLES
    The kisaki (point) points at you ONCE and never again, Numerous times the blade was drawn across the eyes/face the point often aimed at a vital point on the defendants body during immobilisation.

No real use of tai sabaki, atemi or kuzushi (unbalancing) Prior to take down etc etc
    The knife defences are suicidal.

I truly wish that I had something more positive to say but these types of self promotion and demonstrations are the reason that many traditional arts get flamed.

When shall people STOP creating titles for themselves and creating new arts.

regards koyo

13. gekiryu

gekiryu New Member

Thank you for your opinion, I have trained six Aikido guys (3 of then 2nd dan) (2 still train two had private lessons ) over the last 4 years (one left Aikido immediately as he could counter everything his Aikido teacher (a 4th dan ) did after one! Lesson with me! They all were amazed at what I could do (because they couldn’t defend against it! ), How I could take their balance and hit then at will. As for proper use of atemi I was hitting Kyusho on almost every strike! On that vid The way I punch comes from systema . I stopped using the method you do (Karate Type) years ago as it is easily seen, on tai sabaki “an inch is worth a mile, I move just enough for me to escape, (my students move more, determined by their experience) tai sabaki is very important.
    As for making up martial Arts, I’m not, I am combining some, but if you want to have a go at every MMA guy out there (that includes Osensei Morihei Ueshiba !) be my guest (but I wouldn’t Recommend it you will be typing for the rest of your life ) You sound to me that you have only my art is more genuine syndrome, Well think on this, your Kata based concepts work when you know what the other guy is doing, but fail miserably against awkward unknown attacks you’re with respect a Kata clone!

Tell me I’m interested how many times did you use Aikido in real life? (the physical that is not the mental) to defend yourself, and on who? I’m Most interested how it went,

14. gekiryu

gekiryu New Member

I refer you to the Answer given earlier, it hasn’t changed!

15. gekiryu

gekiryu New Member

Thank you for your opinion, I was taught these Techniques by people who have actually Had knife fights i.e. Vladimir Vasiliev, have you ever had one in real life that is? Ive had Three, and I didn’t need to hurt them. But did disarm them , It is normal to Practise finishing moves in martial arts training
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-fHZxX3sag&feature=related"]Vladimir Vasiliev Knife defence - YouTube[/ame]

The goal is to neutralise the knife that is best done by neutralising the person I am hitting Nerve/kyusho points in the arms and back as he attacks causing spasm and pain that alone is enough for some,

16. righty

righty Valued Member

If your art is as you say a combination of many arts, why did you choose to call it aiki-jujutsu?

Addition: Regarding you website. I won't bare with you unless you go first. *chuckle*

17. koyo

Twenty two years working with gangs in Glasgow (knife centre UK) four fights involving knifes twelve stitches to me 100 plus to the girl he attacked he was seriously injured.other three I survived and made no attempt at all to control the attacker we were NOT playing.

All of the guys in my dojo are cross trainers in numerous arts . NOTHING is kata based.

No one "attacks" with a knife as seen in that video or reacts to the locks without resistance.Back heel kick and the knife goes flying?????

Kote gaeshe the knife is turned on the attacker not twisted in a large circle that brings the blade close to your eyes /throat.

I lost count of the number of times the blade pointed back at you. Fundamental principles are missing.Get off the line of attack you simply stood there open to knee elbow free hand attacks. people with knifes also have the abilty to use these attacks.Basic triangular posture etc etc

Celebrated fifty years uninterupted cross training in martial arts a few weaks ago.

People do not hold the knife up to you they stick it in you.

koyo

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  18. Shiho-Nage

Shiho-Nage I'm okay to go.

My training comes from an individual that has been involved in real knife combat. I have been fortunate enough to not have been required to defend myself against a knife attack.

Were your disarms anything similar to what was demonstrated in those videos? Little to no control of the weapon bearing arm or the weapon? Disarming the weapon and leaving it on the ground? A disarm from a single punch to the kidney? If so then you are a very forutnate individual.

I know that certain "finishing moves" are routinely practiced in martial arts, but that doesn't make them good training. If someone trains that way that is how they will respond under stress in an actual encounter. That could lead them to some very serious legal problems not to mention psychological issues.

I respectfully disagree. Relying soley on nerve strikes/pressure points to disarm a weapon bearing assailant is risky at best.

19. Terrior

Terrior Valued Member

Nice response Koyo. I always enjoy reading your posts, just about everything I have seen you write is how the good Bujinkan instructors I have trained with explain things too...probably like how all the good martial artists would explain things...ie, based in reality.

If Mr Geki could just stop blowing kisses at himself in the mirror for a minute he might just realise that it doesn't matter what martial art he does or what techniques he knows (or sells) his own mentality is going to hold him back from doing anything.

22 years working with gangs in Glasgow...hmmmm hard to beat that but I'm sure Geki Ryu will think of something.

20. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

If it indeed means nothing to you, why in God's name use it?

Also, to actually claim to be menkyo kaiden in something, you have to have been awarded it by someone significantly higher graded than you.

From talking with several high ranking dudes in the Booj over beer, in Japan (I do koryu, nothing Takamatsu-den related), very few people have menkyo. Most of them Japanese. None of them are under hachidan (8th dan).

What of it? Menkyo Kaiden (免許皆伝) is a full teaching licence. Menkyo means licenced. Kaidenmeans All teachings/transmissions in the tradition.

Now with that said, the only logical avenue is to ask the question, who licenced you? Who gave you menkyo kaiden?

Respect.

And by crikey it is hot over here at the moment, it's 36 degrees centigrade in the shade.