Welcome to the Geek Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by hongkongfuey, Dec 20, 2003.

1. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

OK, we now have a new section for all the Geeks (and Geekettes) on the site. Feel free to post your computing questions, thoughts, achievements here.

My background :

MCSE, currently working on a Windows 2003 / XP network with mainly Microsoft technologies (SQL Server, IIS, Sharepoint 2003, Office 2003). Do a lot of database development / reporting.

Don't program much anymore, but have used VB.net, VB6, C, C++, FORTRAN 77, MODULA-2, PHP, BASIC, ASSEMBLER (ARM, 6502), CLIPPER. Mainly mathematical / database (with a small amount of 3d graphics) applications. Started in 1981 on a ZX81 with 1Kb of RAM.

Done some open source stuff (this site) on Linux / MySQL / PHP.

2. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

I can see this becoming party central :D

My background:
    self-taught dropout working in IT at university.

Now trying to wangle a pure programming role because I enjoy doing it - the creativity is the buzz for me. Would like to get into databaseson the web but it sounds soooo dull.

Worked with Sun, Sequent, Alpha, Prime, HP, Mac and even some Acorn BBC machines and prefer to use VB6 VB.NET but have done lots in C, some perl, asp, html. dhtml, javascript and loads of misc scripting, and some sorties into machine code on z80, 6502 and 80386.

The first computer I owned was a Jupiter Ace.
    It's rubber keypad nearly destroyed my growing fingers when it wore out as I tried to get the damn thing to respond. It was then, aged 12 when I had my first IT support role, taking my own machine apart to clean the keyboard contacts and glue silver foil to the underside of the keys.

Enjoyed programming models of reality such as gravity in a pendulum simulator, then a 3D 'galaxy' simulator. I did noughts and crosses AI, attempted to make an epileptic-seizure inducer (!) and messed with anything that caught my interest in Science. Have learned to enjoy work-related stuff like writing software to control scientific lab equipment.

Rgds,
    David

3. Cain

Cain New Member

Me got just a bit of geekiness here and there :Angel:

|Cain|

4. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

Not a computer geek - Physics student with heavy interest in Science Fiction, so I think that qualifies me.

5. hongkongfuey

This forum is a 'databaseon the web'. It's only dull if you use if for dull things!

6. David

I know I know, I'm trying to build up the enthusiasm to to make a custom support log board for my section. :)

Rgds,
    David

7. hongkongfuey

Zzzzzzzz....

Are you going to use an existing system as the basis or develop from scratch? I've done a 'helpdesk system' twice from scratch and wouldnt recommend this approach.

8. David

Would you rather use a helpdesk system or write one?

I don't like to consider myself a helpdesk driver because it numbs my mind to work like that - as a user. If I'm not coding, my career won't go the way I want it.

In the case of this project, my boss is very particular about how she works. I used Exchange server to make a custom conversation board but she didn't like it and we went back to pen n paper...

At work, utilities are my favourite thing to do - they take a couple of days at most and everyone's so grateful. Most recently, I had to write a ditty to make IP printing work in a lab full of centrally policied XP boxes after our Novell queuing system was taken from us. Before that I was visualising 50yrs of global sea-surface temperature data for an academic. I'm the equivalent of the mechanic you take with you on an unsupported drive across a desert.

Hey, I'm waffling...

Rgds,
    David

9. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

I see I'm a very minor geek among giants. Built my first computer on my own couple years back using the knowledge of my self-taught computer nerd friend. Built a couple junk part computers since and now have a growing skill (although still not much) in Dreamweaver, Flash, and Photoshop.

10. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Hi, my name is Tosh and I'm a Recovering code-aholic

Born: 1978

Past "Fixes"
    1st computer: 1985 Atari 800XL
    2nd computer: 1990, Commodore 64
    3rd computer: 1996, 133 Mhz 16Mb RAM Packard Bell
    4th "computer": 2001, 800hz Hi Grade laptop

Also abuser of consoles throughout my teen years, regular relapses now and again with PS2 (oh the shame :D).

"Brainwashing"
    1996-2000: BSc Hons Computer Science
    2002-2003: MSc Multimedia Technology

Have tried various "substances" in my sorry past

C++, COBOL, Basic, COMAL, Java,HTML,XHTML,XML,XSLT's you name it I abused it...nothing could get in my way of the next "fix".

I also have spent some time as a "pusher"

2001-2002: Worked on developing......ohhh the shame..........
    ..... 3G mobile phone software..... :(

Am currently trying to rehab my ways by following the 12 step HCI program. Am currently working at the Institute for Computer Based Learning in Edinburgh but see my future career in the online teaching and training field.

I'm taking it one day at a time but sometimes it gets the better of me and I thrash out a quick lingo script to que some interpolated images....

...forgive me Father for I have sinned. :D

11. David

hail mary!

12. xubis

xubis New Member

Yay! This forum is going to be good I can see.

My background:
    14 years old so not as much experience as all of you guys, into database developments, building my own boxes, got some basic skills in linux, saving up to build my new linux box to develop them ;) Mainly code in PHP, my best language, learning java, do regular desgin in html, javascript, css and flash' actionscript, have experinece in VB and basic, python and a bit of c. I am into exploits and stuff like that, check out my sig for my site and see some of the challenges I have made

Last edited: Dec 20, 2003
  13. xubis

xubis New Member

Is this the place we are going to get people posting such polls as Linux VS Microsoft rather than High kicks VS Low kicks ;) Make a change

14. hongkongfuey

write one of course!

I'm interested in what this does David - tell me more!

15. Gandhi

Gandhi New Member

Im doing a degree in electronics, but did a year of computer science (mainly Java). Currently trying to write a nasty motor control program in C as part of my degree. Also doing stuff in Verilog HDL (hardware description language) with nasty digital circuits.

16. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

Well i'm currently studying for a BSc in Software Engineering at Glasgow uni. but

I have done loads of Ada95, Java, Comal, C, C# HTML especially web accessibility stuff, PHP Coldfusion. Worked with Oracle and Mysql.

My main interests are the database stuff and HCI stuff i'm into the whole access for the disabled area if i get the oppertunity to do a Phd in the area i probably will

17. Cyph

Cyph Banned Banned

I'm a computer science undergrad learning Java... just recently failed SENG1120 which is all about data structures, so I have to pull my finger out and start working, which means training less :(

Have had a little play with VB, C++ (console stuff only), PHP/MySQL, *nix.

I haven't really learnt much since I was 15.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2003
  18. zun

zun New Member

Reformed old-school hacker! Nuff sed :)

19. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

Low-level geek

Self taught HTML (ok, no much, but still....) Understand computer operatiing prety well, and have formatted Dad's computer and re-installed everything (wouldn't trust myself witht he good one though).

Will be doing IPT at school next year, learning VB, Pascalls and SQL + some robotics and other stuff

20. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

My first computer was a Commodore VIC-20, about 1982 or 83. that was soon replaced by a Commodore 64, which I abused until 1989. At that time I finished my BS in Computer Science and for graduation I bought a 286 based PC I think it was like 33Mhz and a 20 meg HD. It had Windows 3.1 on it but I never used it.

At that time I got a job with a defense contractor, writing device drivers, data management services, and signals processing (FFT) algorithms in FORTRAN and C for DEC mainframes. I had the second highest possible security clearance that he US government issues. I did this for a couple years, thorught he first Gulf War.

After that I worked at a company that made electronic ballot counting amchines and other election support equipment. I wrote their internal client support, accounting, and manufacturing database systems in Paradox and Dbase. Big change from mainframe device drivers!

After that I did some consulting with a firm making accounting applications for county attorneys. We also made good money helping government offcies write RFP's (requests for proposals) which are documents that the offices would send out to software vendors to get bids on system development projects.

I moved around like that for a while eventually landing at Cap Gemini USA (now Cap Gemini Ernst & Young) where I architected a 2 million dollar system for a health care survey company. it was a very cool system for executing QA surveys of up to milions of people at a time. the data structures were dervied completely at run-time based on the data provided by the client and the questions they wanted asked and the types of statistical analyis they needed.

After some more adventures in product development I am now a Systems Architect at Ameritrade Inc. We are the biggest on-line brokerage in the United States, if you've never heard of us. (www.ameritrade.com) I design systems for on-line account opening and tracking of prospects and marketing efforts. One of the most intersting parts of my portfolio is the Homeland Security screening - I am responsible for all of our systems for screeing out terrorists and money laundering and fraud. It is really scary what kindof tools are available for identity verification and fraud detection... but that's another post becasue...

this post is now officially too long.

KenpoDavid