Ever heard of Ryu Gekido?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Gekido03, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Gekido03

Gekido03 New Member

This is a style I really want to study, but I can only find one teacher and he says he won't teach me unless I'm a black belt in Tae Kwon do, Shorei Ryu, ninjutsu, a black sash in Hung gar, and impressive Muay Thai skills.

But back on the topic, has anyone ever heard of Ryu Gekido Karate?

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

No, but did you ask why he's being so selective about his student's? With entry requirements like that, I'm surprised he get's students at all.

3. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

wasnt that the "style" used by a video game character called Gex, the Gekko?

sounds like a mcryu to me

4. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

All gex did was a tail spin :p

Gekido03 - If you had those belts in all those styles, you would have lost the need for Gekido :p
    You'd probably be able to take down this "instructor" anyway:p

As Kgirl said, ask him why he's being so selective.

5. Gekido03

Gekido03 New Member

I did ask him. He says there are only two ways I can become a black belt in Ryu Gekido. 1 is to practice from age 5 (too late)
    2 is to have those belts
    He said most people don't find out about Ryu Gekido because instructors are hard to find and there's not much research on it.
    If I get those belts, I'll have enough experience to become a black belt in it in 5 years.

6. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Surely you get the experience to become a black belt in a style by training up to it, not by studying unrelated arts? I've never heard any of art have this kind of requirements.

I ran a search on this style on Google. It drew a blank, No results. I'm sure someone somewhere would have written about it.

What evidence do you have that it's a bone fide martial art?

7. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

Altavista also drew blank it's been out there for ages.

I even searched chinese library.

I would say find a style someone has heard of. By the sound of it it's just heavy mixed martial arts style. The guy is just beeing arrogant and doesn't want you to know his style and he certainly doesn't want to teach you.

I will train you in shotofat. You can take private lessons from me for high price. And I will make you feel good about your self and convince you that you can take on god. With that you will get lucky or killed in your first real fight. Then I just have to find another fool like you and start over again.

Regards Kerling
    ps. Who wrote this bull****?

But

8. thiaboxr2

thiaboxr2 New Member

Did not come up with much from google except-

Gekido means sh*tty game in Japanese.

also came up with traditions. (not of Gekido)

Everything else refers to video games.( Ryu and Gekido are character names):)

9. kansetsuhazushi

kansetsuhazushi New Member

Gekido mean 'extreme anger' or in laymans term 'really really ****ed off.'

The name Gekido goes against the 'stay calm' attitude of martial arts, so this guy is just making this up and is wasting your time.

10. Cain

Cain New Member

No MA school has such requirements, however it seems this one does. If he's taking you for a ride ie lying to you then it's impossible for me to see why he wants to lose a student....

Either way I'd personally stay away from this one, you say this is the only one available to you in which case you might want to look a bit more for any good schools in your area, you can also fill in your location/profile where a few members might be able to help you.

|Cain|

11. Gekido03

Gekido03 New Member

"Ryu Gekido" means "dragon fury", the stlye has some pretty brutal spec. techniques but it takes so much power, balance, skill, and discapline to execute them that you'd have to train from a young age (5). I met him when I was 11 and too old, but he told me that by excelling in these styles I can handle Ryu Gekido. He showed me what the style can do. You guys wouldn't belive what kind of power it has. If it helps try looking up "sensei Wusashi Reimi". Maybe that will work, but I'm not positive. Why would I make this up, what reason do I have to?

12. Cain

Cain New Member

No one is saying you made it up, however it seems your instructor did, IMO you should forget about this particular school there are tons around...

|Cain|

13. Gekido03

Gekido03 New Member

Belive me, if I haden't seen the style in full effect myself I would forget about it

14. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Shohei Ryu-Mixed? BULL CRAP.

15. Gekido03

Gekido03 New Member

16. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Get lost troll/poser.

Sho-hei/Uechi Ryu hasn't been mixed since back in the day and to some certain rules in the organization it won't be mixed for a long longggggggggg time again.
    The guy is obviously a fraud. He may know how to fight but it isn't real.

17. Gekido03

Gekido03 New Member

First off, it's ShoREI Ryu
    Secondly, what do you mean mixxed?
    And finally, this guy is no fraud. He has the belt, certificate, and moves to prove it. Plus, he has the Tapestry of Ryu Gekido. He said that it tell the origin of Ryu Gekido and only masters are allowed to look at it. I know it's a little weird, but that's how it works. I don't want to start an arrgument, I just wanted to know if anybody knew about Ryu Gekido and I can see nobody dose. So, sorry that all this debate happened, but now you can forget all about this topic and move on.

18. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

100% sure about that are you? Belts and certs can easily be purchased, and techniques can be made up. Take a look at the ebay links on this thread if you don't believe me this thread

If this isn't ringing a big huge alarm bell in your head, I don't know what will. A tapestry proves NOTHING, and how do you even know he has this if only masters are allowed to look at it?

Because its blatantly a McDojo/Made up martial art. The member's here are trying to help you not to get sucked in, not argue with you. If you choose not to take any notice, thats your choice.

19. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Fiction CAN be fun.

20. Cain

Cain New Member

I am getting that Déjà moo feeling.......

;)

|Cain|