The Jitsu Foundation

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Hiroji, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

2. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Hey, I've got a friend who's training for his first dan at the moment, and so runs the LJMU club. If you want I can get him to answer any questions you've got if no one turns up to respond here. Just PM me

3. Hiroji

Cheers mate PM sent ;)

4. Hiroji

5. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

I'm a TJFer.

Yes, we do randori (there is a national ground work/randori competiton at the beginning of march) to an extent we spar, although depending on which club you are at and who is teaching you may do loads you may do almost none, and the definitions of sparring may change to. We very very rarely pad up and go one on one with each other, although again, I know of and have trained at TJF clubs which do (occasionally.)

You won't do any of these things (other than a bit of groundwork) as a novice.

What you will learn for certain with TJF is how to breakfall really really well, and how to throw and lock very effectively.

If you want any details either reply or drop me a PM.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I've a mate at work that trains at a Jitsu club in Leeds.
    It's in Armley I think.
    He enjoys it I think. I'll ask him what it's like.
    Although personally if I lived in Leeds I'd train at Bad Company. :)

7. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

I just came upon this organization the other day. They seem to be quite big in the UK.

Can anyone give me a brief description of Jitsu is and its origins?

8. Hiroji

Cheers all for the help everyone ;)

PASmith, yeh its the Armley one i was going to check out.

Does Bad Company now have BJJ?

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Not that I know of.
    But for Thai it seems a damn good club to go to and the guys I do Thai with in York are linked with it.
    pj_goober's description of Jitsu seems accurate from what I remember from chats with my mate.

10. Llamageddon

You live in York?

11. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

Good article on the founders of the JF from a website of an offshoot organisation (who I also train with) Aiuchi ju jistu http://www.aiuchi.net/reference.php?page=history

Official history according to the jistu foundation website.
    http://www.jitsufoundation.org/JuJitsu.asp?Page=The_Jitsu_Foundation_-_jujitsu_history

Brief description of jistu.

Basically very judo derived throwing style, may look like lots of compliant training to begin with (depending on where you train) but generally the aliveness gets ramped up once you get to green belt (a year or so in for most people).

Lots of throwing, lots of locking, a fair chunk of atemi, lots and lots and lots and lots of breakfalling, a smidge of randori (this is being pushed more and more in recent years), a wedge of ne waza (was the last thing that was given a hefty push and is no firmly filtering down the ranks).

come along, give it a go, watch the grades. You'll figure out soon enough if its for you, and whether your club is a "good"* one

*standards across the several thousand members and several hundred clubs are pretty uniform (to an extent) but training methods, emphasis and so on can vary hugely from instructor to instructor.

12. A R A K I

A R A K I New Member

Their definatly trying to push randori over the next year starting with a course in a couple of weeks.

And as for sparring like goober said it depends on the club. Personally my club does lots of sparring with mma gloves but i've also been to clubs that almost never do it.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You live in York?

Yep. Work in Leeds, live in York (or very near it :) ).

14. Inversion

Inversion New Member

As other people have said, the amount of grappling that TJF does varies massively from instructor to instructor. Having said that I've yet to hear about them training skills that are fundamental to grappling, such as shooting and sprawling. IMHO the grappling skills of the students at my local BJJ club are in a much higher league than the grappling skills of my local TJF instructors. If you want to focus on grappling, then TJF is probably the wrong style for you.

15. shotokantiger9

shotokantiger9 New Member

I will be joining a club affiliated with The Jitsu Foundation soon. It looks as though there will be plenty of competition opportunities for jiu jitsu in my area so I look forward to it.

16. Graham

Graham Valued Member

The TJF is a large organisation, and is very controlled and hierarchical. Standards are consistent and relativly high. By shodan a student will be a pretty good fighter and will be an instructor, having taught a club for a year before being allowed to take a shodan grading. Dan level gradings are physicaly and mentally very tough. They can e.g. last a long time, involve live weapons, multimple attackers, break falling off tables or onto hard floors etc.

The style is clearly based on a self defence interpretation of judo. However, they emphasise standing work, particularly throwing in a complient way. there is great emphasis on tecnical aspects, e.g. balance breaking. They also spend a lot of time on defending from a wide range of weapons and doing acrobatic breakfalling.

Saying all that it's not my cup of tea. The organisation dominates university jujutsu, and tends to have a strict status hierarchiy. The students seem to put up with instructors who think they are drill seargents.

17. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

It's generally quite rare to see the status carry on to outside the class. On the mat, everyone knows who is in charge and who they can go to for help, who to call sensei, etc. Off the mat, it should be first name basis, drinking, chatting and generally just having a good time. In fact, most of the off-mat arrangements should be organised by the students rather than the instructor.

There are a few instructors who seem to think that they are to be treated as demigods off the mat, but most of us treat that idea with the contempt that it deserves ;)

18. Llamageddon

Cool. I'm a York person myself. Well, when I'm not at uni (which is all the time). Don't meet that many Yorkies

19. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

Hi does anyone here train at the jitsu club in Sandwich in Kent.
    It belongs to the Jitsu foundation.
    I was just wondering if anyone could reccomend it.

20. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

Also does anyone know of a ju jitsu club called shims way ju jitsu based in Dover.

Thanks.

ps. or could anyone reccomend a good ju jitsu club in the Folkestone,Dover,Canterbury area.