Almost got sucked into this.

Discussion in 'Karate' started by intoximoto, Jan 6, 2008.

1. intoximoto

intoximoto New Member

GKR Karate - Misleading Advertising

Please check out this link, it is a job advertisement with a hidden agenda entitled "Sports Consultant".

[​IMG]

I recently made the mistake of applying for this position, only to find out when attending the interview that the advertised position was more like a "bait & switch".

The position offered was not what was listed, but was infact the door-to-door selling of GKR Karate. They offered no hourly rate, no retainer, and it was 100% Commission Only. Sure, they offered free Karate lessons three times a week, with a fast tracked Black Belt Program, where I could attain my own Black Belt, and subsequently open up my own Mcdojo!

Is this what the future holds for Karate? Pyramid Selling? False Hope?
    I am quite disgusted by this, but not only by the way I was mislead and wasted my time at an interview with these people in some guys garage, but also how they prey on people in their advertisement by saying "No Experience Necessary" to lure them in.

Having no Karate experience previously, one can see how I was almost sucked into this sham. I am so glad for websites like Martial Arts Planet and the like, that I could see GKR for what they really are, before getting involved. I just wish I found them before I went to the interview, but alas all I went to was the propaganda website www.gkrkarate.com.

Anyway, I felt the need to share my experience.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  2. elektro

elektro Valued Member

Bah - tell them to stop watching Karate Kid......

3. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Good thread. The brazen nature of this scam is equalled only by the astonishing number of people who fall for it. It's basically pyramid-selling karate, isn't it?

4. intoximoto

intoximoto New Member

It truely is disturbing, indeed.

The below link is a thread which shares someone else's experience, which was enough to convince me because of the similarities from my experience.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54284

Another good link here..
    http://ccnonline.org.au/?q=node/288

5. XT18

XT18 Banned Banned

LOl gkr again dammm this mcdojo seems to be bigger then the temple kung fu one and their everywhere too australia, new zealand, united kingdom, usa, thank god their not in canada yet that would give temple kung fu some competition i can see them having mcdojo fights too to gain more students from each other.

6. intoximoto

intoximoto New Member

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  7. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

I haven't seen any in the states yet. But, my field of view limited to just about everything in the Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan area. If they had a school pop up, it would be fun to try to visit them.

8. intoximoto

intoximoto New Member

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  9. generalgrievous

generalgrievous New Member

there is a dojo in america its in Houston. My wife does this job and she makies a cap load of money, don't see how you think its a scam, they havent mislead you in any way. There is no where that says they have to say its door knocking.

10. generalgrievous

its kind of funny how you mention goju seeing as grk is a mix of goju and shotokan...

11. intoximoto

intoximoto New Member

Yes they have. It reads as if they are saying that the position is 35 paid hours per week. It's not, there is no hourly rate. It is 100% commission based. Thats false advertising right there champ.

Secondly it says "returning phonecalls, packing stock and dropping stock off" None of this is true, replace that with door-to-door selling of Krotty lessons.

Sure, they offer free Krotty lessons, but if you don't make sales that week, those bills aren't gonna get paid are they now? not to mention money spent running a car to do this.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  12. intoximoto

intoximoto New Member

You obviously haven't done your homework like I have.

Yeah, it is supposed to be a mix these two styles, but that doesn't mean they have taken anything good from either of them.

Please read this article.
    http://ccnonline.org.au/?q=node/288

QUOTE EXTRACTED FROM http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17917&page=5&pp=15

13. intoximoto

intoximoto New Member

I'm going to have to now refer you to your own thread which you created generalgrievous, whereby you pretty much agree with what I am saying anyway.

My first topic....i do GKR oh dear god.
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74630
    Now I really don't get where you are coming from, after reading your thread.
    Blue Belt and also an instructor? WTF?
    That just described everything that is wrong about GKR. You make me laugh. :)

Has your opinion changed somehow? Have your views changed because your wife is making more sales or something? Enlighten me please.

14. generalgrievous

my thoughts havent changed i just dont think you can claim you have been mislead.

15. intoximoto

intoximoto New Member

I believe I was mislead up until the point of the interview, which is when I was told it was a door-to-door job. Pretty sure I explained this earlier.

All I have to say is, I admire your opinion, you are entitled to it. I just don't agree with you.

Either way, I am glad I have nothing to do with GKR. This experience has opened my eyes up, I think people are buying illusion. More importantly I think it is an insult to Karate and its origins.

But hey, if people get hurt or killed because they think they are a Black Belt, that's not GKR's problem right?

16. Stuffed

Stuffed New Member

I don't think there is much there that is untrue. The only bit that would bother me is the bit in the top right hand corner which says "Salary: $700 -$1100" I'm not sure it can be classed as salary if it isn't constant :confused:

17. intoximoto

intoximoto New Member

18. karatekaUK

karatekaUK New Member

What a joke

What a joke it's just getting people to be a jo to sell their karate

GO KAN Be nice if it could CAN GO it gives out the wrong thing about karate

19. intoximoto

intoximoto New Member