Step sparring

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by JohnG, Dec 10, 2003.

1. JohnG

JohnG SNAFU

Is there any point to step sparring? :confused:

Isn't it just part of what Bruce Lee called "the classical mess"?

I've been doing 1 step for years, but I honestly don't see any real benefit to doing it. Perhaps the 1 step I've been doing and have been shown is just c**p!

2. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

Step sparring is the bridge between learning a technique and applying it in combat. Simply learning techniques does not mean you will be able to apply them at the right time when fighting, so step sparring is a way to do this.

3. JohnG

JohnG SNAFU

Good point

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

It works just fine so long as your opponent decides to throw that one particular technique, from stance, while you're in stance.

5. Shaolin Dragon

As I said, step sparring is designed so that we can learn one particular technique.

Think of weight training - you don't go into the gym and try to lift the heaviest weight. You start of with light weights and work your way up.

MA is no different.

6. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Step sparring provides a controlled environment for learning new techniques. If you always do them the same way, at the same speed, or from the same stance or angle, they really won't do too much for you. Here's some ideas to try to make them more effective:

(1) When first learning a new technique, do it slowly several times. As you get better, do it faster and faster until you are going at nearly an actual rate of speed for combat. Doing the technique once or twice won't help you. Do it 1000s of times.

(2) Make sure you practice the response from BOTH sides, left and right.

(3) Experiment using the technique againt the 'punch' from different angles... does it work, do you have to modify it, or should you use a different technique?

(4) Experiment with related attacks. Defence against a punch should work against a(n) (attempted) grab, push, choke, etc. Try your new step technique against a variety of attacks from a variety of angles.

(5) Once you have it down pretty well, on both sides and against a variety of angles and attacks... work out what happens if the opponent counters or reacts against it. Go through as many of the possible outcomes as you can and figure out how to react to them.

(6) Beyond this, take the step sparring techniques in other ways... try their effectiveness vs weapons of various sorts. Try them in different environments (wet, outside, crowded, multiple opponents, etc.)... and try them on you back, in a corner, seated, etc.

One simple step sparring technique can lead to a great deal of insight and practical application if taken seriously. If you 'just' learn them as requirements to do on a test and forget... they will not be useful.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2003
  7. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Brava Thomas!

90% Of people I see doing one step stick to the same old boring methods.

Why not introduce some danger? Why not get the pads on and actually try to whack the other guy? why not attempted it under certain cirumstances?

Back to wall?
    Advancing attacker?
    Multiple attackers? (i.e. Two techniques at once?)

One step is a great tool, it's only the limited imagination that halts it. Although 90% of the time it's lack of ability in the practioners case.

Q:"Why not try this?"
    A:"I can't do it/I'm rubbish at it!"

Well start practising! :woo:

8. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Can someone breakdown what the term "step sparring" means? I have a vague idea but would like a more complete definition before weighing in.

- Matt

9. Buxton TKD

Buxton TKD New Member

Some good points have been made above.

I feel step sparring is an important part of learning distance and focus. It also helps with your reactions and timing.

Tae Kwon

10. Thomas

Basic step sparring usually starts with two people facing eachother. One person throws a punch and the other responds with a previously taught technique. There is also 2-step sparring where the opponent throws two punches, and at a basic level allowing for a block/deflection/avoidance of the first attack (intended to make you respond from the weaker side). 3 step is the same but with three punches.The focus at a bvasic level is on the final technique (response).

Some people get the misconception that this is as far as it goes... and it can look a bit silly watching this at a slow pace and uniform responses. As I wrote above, we like to change the set up a bit and realy try out the techniques in a variety of manners.Disclaimer: This applies to my own school and experience !

Last edited: Dec 10, 2003
  11. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

I view step sparring as a progresion from poomse.
    As Thomas pointed out in his well written posts, they are excersises of controlled sparring.

This controls allows someone to learn how to work with a partner as well as work on the techniques that Thomas mentioned, and it sounds like we practice step sparring very simliar Thomas :)

The next step from step sparring would be free fighting. I think this is how the natural progression goes.
    Learn techniques through poomse ---> continuation of technique working, but now with a partner, where it is controlled by you can notice timing, what works, what doesn't, what could put you in a bad position for another attack, etc . . . ---> Free fighting, taking what you know and have trained and put it to the test in a less controlled drill where you must react to the unknown, and suffer consequences if you do poorly.

12. Shaolin Dragon

I think you have oversimplified things there. The process is a continuous one, cycling back and forth as we learn new techniques and different ways of applying them. Also kata and shadowboxing apply as these teach us how to string moves together effectively; so the process is not so much a ladder as the roots of a tree, IMO.

13. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

Ahhh, but a ladder has two directions, not just one.

I agree that you need to cycle through your different excersises, but I still feel the natural progression starts with the basic techniques learned from poomse, or even just line drills. At each stage you add or take away controls until you end up with free fighting.

Once you learn something else you can revisit step sparring or poomse to see how it applys, or even polish what you know more in those areas.

Just like learning to walk, learn to roll over, learn to crawl learn to walk. This doesn't mean we never re-visit rolling over. Heck I just did a falling class and we did lots of rolling around :D

14. Matt_Bernius

We do a slight varient of this in my program. It's a tier controlled response drill (note that this is a drill).

Two people square of. Person 1 (P1) is the attacker. Person 2 (P2) is the defender:

P1 throws a single technique, slowly and to it's full extension on P2. P2 watches and analyizes the technique. P1 resets and throws the exact same technique another time. Again P2 observes. P1 resets and throws the same technique again. This time P2 counters in time with a block/movement/disipation (this is the first level of the drill).

Both people reset. If P2 has countered in a satisfactory way the drill continues. Otherwise P2 goes back to the drawing board and tries different responses to P1's same attack, until P2 finds a satisfactory response. Then the parties reset and the drill continues.

P1 then throws the same first technique again. P2 responds in time. P1 then adds a second attack. P2 observes the second attack and then both reset. Like in the first cycle P2 observes the attack twice, with complete resets in between and on the third pass adds a block/movement/disipation. The two reset and provided that P2 has a satisfactory second response the drill continues.

Again P1 throws the same first attack. P2 responds in exactly the same manner. P1 then throws the same second attack. P2 responds in the same way he/she did to the second attack. P3 then throws a thrid attack. P2 observes. The same pattern is followed as before with the exception that on the third pass of the third attack P2 integrates a offensive technique with thier block.

While the description takes a lot of time, the actual drill moves pretty fast and allows students to begin to access some creativity. The drill can then tier out pretty easily. With each pass P2 can encorporate an attack into thier defense and P1 will have to counter. This is a slightly more complex version of the drill. You can also intergrate subtraction drills (ie. P2 can only use one arm or just legs and movement).

The great aspect of this is that it begins to get people used to exchanging and countering techniques in preparation for sparring. At the same time it's a great cooperative drill. And each pair of students can demonstrate the patterns that they came up with to the rest of the class letting individuals show off their creativity.

- Matt

15. Thomas

Matt_Bernius: Nice reply... I'm going to try something like that in class one of these days, it sounds like a good drill and definately will be a creative task.

Question: When they are responding to an attack, do they have a skillset to refer to or what do they create their response from? (This is the purpose of step sparring basically: to create that set of responses that are proven effective and to practice them.)

16. Matt_Bernius

Thomas,

Basically the first rule of our art that new students learn is:

"You block when you move and you move when you block"

So basically all of them understand that you get off the line of the attack while re-enforcing or dissipating with some form of block.

At the beginner level most people have basic punching and kicking. So the attacker (P1) is expected to throw a basic technique. The expectation of watching P1 throw a basic attack a few times is to give the defender (P2) a chance to mentally work out a basic defense/avoidance before they have to actually implement anything. Part of the trick is all of this is supposed to happen slowly.

The great part about this is P1 is also learning how to reorient and continue an attack. So they're not getting into the habit of throwing a single technique. Rather they're working on assembling a combination of simple techniques the meet the needs of the situation. Thats the reason for letting P1 attack three times before P2 counter attacks. It's also forces P2 to learn to move and dissipate. And it takes the drill one step away from sparring, making it easier for the beginning stundent to apply the basics that they have.

Now you don't necessarily need to go three technique deep. And yes, if there is a good "canned response" for a technique the student can use that as well (as long as it fits to within the way the drill is set up). It can also be collaborative with each person in the pair helping each other. Or if one pair is ok with being singled out the entire class can suggest what to do next.

- Matt

17. Thomas

Nice post... like I said, I'm going to try this drill at class soon! I think pretty much, TKD step sparring and the learning style you mention in your posts are 2 ways aimed at achieving the same goal... it is nice to have new ways to do things.

For anyone who doesn't feel like step sparring in your TKD classes, try some of the tips that were mentioned on this post. Step sparring does NOT have to be a "waste of time"... it is in the sytem for a reason and should be exploited!

Anyone else have some suggestions?

Good training.

18. Matt_Bernius

Thanks for the feedback Thomas. This is one of the drill that my Sifu introduced me to that I think is a great tool for developing both self defense and sparring skills (especially in new students).

- Matt

19. littlebird

littlebird New Member

I like Vunak's methods.
    He actually will have groups of pairs going through
    repetitive motions while he beats a TomTom to pace them.

Over and over until no thought is needed.

Of course then the next step is to assimilate this newly acquired action into a more complete repetoire.

The old adage "Practice makes perfect!" is true.

Just like a batting cage. Give me 30 hard balls, outside, inside, low, and high. Give me 50 curve balls. Now some sliders.

20. peacfulwarrior

peacfulwarrior New Member

I think step sparring is necessary to practice your technique mainly being used as a training tool. Believe me it's better then hitting air. Also TKD is not the only one that has this in it's training. The same method is used in Judo, Aikido, Karate and others, basically one uponent strikes and one defends.