Tim Cartmell Interview (IMA + BJJ)

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Slindsay, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Found this over on Bullshido, figured about half of you guys would be so excited by this you'd mess your pants up and th other half would get annoyed :D

http://www.neijia-forum.info/2007/01/25/interview-with-tim-cartmell-englisch/

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I really like what I've seen from Tim Cartmell. He seems to be one of the few well-publicized, competent, skilled, authentic CMA practitioners who is pragmatic about what he does, patching the holes in his system with authentic grappling work.

Hats off to Tim, I hope he can get some real good guys fighting from his gym. If he was in my area, I'd probably train with him.

3. windtalker

windtalker Pleased to return to MAP

The contents of that interview probably won't be well-recieved by some critics that launch attacks on more traditional styles on a regular basis. Yet I found the interview quite interesting and would like to learn more about Tim Cartmell and his approach to IMA. Does IMA mean internal martial arts? That includes Tai Chi and the others mentioned right?

Those kind of articles lend to creditablitiy of martial arts. Wish there were more posted here on MAP.

4. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

I like Cartmell's stuff. His book on throws was very good, just talked about straight biomechanics instead of the "extend your chi" stuff that I can't relate to. I've seen some of the posts on his website too, solid stuff.

Windtalker-yep, IMA=Internal Martial Arts. My impression, and I could be wrong, is that Bagua/Pa Kua is Cartmell's specialty.

5. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

This thread seriously needs some more drama, whats wrong with you guys? Should I have posted this in the IMA Forum? :-(

6. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Just wait till that secret Chinese groundfighting is found... hiding in a village in North China.